Potatoes?

Options
Hi looking at my diary the past 3 days I realise that the overwhelming majority of my calories are potatoes,is it safe to eat less of them? would I be loosing out on much nutrition if I had say more brocolli or cabbage?. I've never seen calorie ratings before,so all new to me.

Thanks

Z x

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of potatoes every week. But I need the carbs for my training.

If it fits your macros, I wouldn't worry. Adding veggies won't take up as many calories, but they will supplement your fiber!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Adding veggies to your diet is always a good thing. The main nutrient in potatoes is iron. I try to eat potatoes several times per week, but if you are getting enough iron elsewhere, then it's not dangerous. There are some people on MFP who never eat potatoes at all. I suppose they get their iron from somewhere, maybe they take a pill? I don't know. Potatoes are a good staple food though, and also have a lot of trace minerals in them, if you eat the skin.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes, and sometimes I eat them a lot during the week! They are good for you, as long as you avoid fryin, and the high fat toppings that frequently get put on them!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    potatoes are good for you, and versatile, but they are relatively calorie dense. I'd cut back on the potatoes A LITTLE, and add the broccoli and cabbage. A varied diet is better for you in the long run. Check the calories of what you're thinking about eating before you do so, it will help you make decisions. But, yes., DO enjoy your potatoes! I do!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble staying within your calorie goal, I would advise you to cut back on them. If not, don't worry about it. =)
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes 3 times a week along with a small portion of meat and lots of other vegies. I try and limit my portion size to about a cup of mashed potatoes. They are a great source of vitamins, no need to exclude them, as long as you watch the portion size.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat white potato every single night. Love me some potato! Nom nom nom