Need Some Advice

Options
So my TV died this morning.. RIP

Now I need to get a replacement. Just wondering what peopel have/use and how they like it..

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks!

Replies

• karylee44
    Options
    might be the unpopular answer.. but if i had my way.. i wouldn't get any. i would enjoy the extra time you will have. :)
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm perfectly happy with our basic LCD HD TV. We have an LED in our bedroom and I'm really meh on whether it makes a difference.

Not a fan of the heat produced by plasma, but I see it's what the "in" crowd still argues for as far as picture goes.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I would go with a projector, you can hook it up to the cable box or you can hook it up to your PC/Laptop and stream...most smartphones now come with HDMI hookup also...

Karylee...it's football season! You are being completely irrational!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    ...it's football season! You are being completely irrational!

I got an LG plasma on sale its pretty nice
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    So my TV died this morning.. RIP

Now I need to get a replacement. Just wondering what peopel have/use and how they like it..

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks!

I am never home to watch tv... so it doesn't really matter what kind sits there unwatched
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty basic Sony flatscreen. It came with my living room furniture when I bought the couches at Bobs Furniture. My best advice would be to get a brand that you've heard of. Sadly, these new flat screen type tvs don't last as long as the old box kind we grew up with.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy the people who come in here just to say they don't watch TV so they can't help.

Mine is 720p - but I'm sure you'd want to go to 1080p.

I do have a plasma, which I like a little more than the LCDs I have seen only because if I am watching something that is not HD (who would do that?) the picture seems a little better than on my brother's 1080p LCD.
  • nbhobbes
    Options
    might be the unpopular answer.. but if i had my way.. i wouldn't get any. i would enjoy the extra time you will have. :)

I'm not about to let my PS3, libraries of DVDs and Games, Sound system, cable with sports package just sit there and go to waste.

I also have paid for MLS direct kick which gets me a lot of games. As a hardcore soccer fan I'm pretty sure I need to pick up a new TV. Preferably befirore this weekend when Manchester United plays against Wigan Athletic. Also the Revs are playing against DC United as well.. It's bad enough I'm gonna have to go out tonight to catch the USA vs Jamica World Cup Qualifing match tonight..

If I have to start going out for every game I want to watch it's gonna be a lot more expensive.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Panasonic Plasma VT30 - it's 3D too.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    AAAAAMMMMMMEEEEENNNNN!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

I'm not about to let my PS3, libraries of DVDs and Games, Sound system, cable with sports package just sit there and go to waste.

I also have paid for MLS direct kick which gets me a lot of games. As a hardcore soccer fan I'm pretty sure I need to pick up a new TV. Preferably befirore this weekend when Manchester United plays against Wigan Athletic. Also the Revs are playing against DC United as well.. It's bad enough I'm gonna have to go out tonight to catch the USA vs Jamica World Cup Qualifing match tonight..

If I have to start going out for every game I want to watch it's gonna be a lot more expensive.
    A mind is a terrible thing to waste:)
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Sony Bravia LCD has been good to me!
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    I purchased the absolute cheapest TV that I could find 3 years ago. I got a 32" flat screen Sylvania with a built in DVD player. It was $300 (shopped all over and got an amazing price at the time). My small children are constantly loading in their own DVDs with no issues. So for me, I just want something that works well for as cheap as possible and I'm not convinced that a fancier TV is worth the much higher cost.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    We have a Sony Bravia LED. I like it

but frankly, I liked my old giant tube tv just as much.......
  • nbhobbes
    Options
    I would go with a projector, you can hook it up to the cable box or you can hook it up to your PC/Laptop and stream...most smartphones now come with HDMI hookup also...

Karylee...it's football season! You are being completely irrational!

Can't go with a projetor, Game systems really do a number on them. So want something a bit more standard.. Besides I already got a good stand and everything set up.. Just need the one item that will allow me to actually view things. LOL
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've got a 42" Samsung LED SmartTV that I managed to get at an excellent price. If you can find something like that on sale, I'd recommend it, the picture quality is fantastic. I love the Smart feature a lot more than I thought I would - I ended up cancelling cable and just subscribing to Internet-based programs like Netflix or plugging my computer in with an HDMI cable to watch specific shows.
  • nbhobbes
    Options
    I have a pretty basic Sony flatscreen. It came with my living room furniture when I bought the couches at Bobs Furniture. My best advice would be to get a brand that you've heard of. Sadly, these new flat screen type tvs don't last as long as the old box kind we grew up with.

Yeah, the old boxie ones lasted forever.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

The only reason we have a tv is because a former tenant left it there when he moved out. It's one of the old ones, no converter box or anything. It is nice to watch a movie on on occasion. We also watch a few tv shows on dvd.

While you may have "extra time" at first from not having a tv, trust me, those hours get filled. Then you have a whole bunch more stuff to do that keeps you just as busy as tv used to, albeit likely more active whilst busy. And your new time commitments will be harder to break than just switching the set off; people will be disappointed. At least that's been my experience.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy the people who come in here just to say they don't watch TV so they can't help.

I know right? Still I couldn't help it. And not getting the next one is still an option.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I have a 73 inch flat screen TV sitting in my living room and it starts from one end of my wall and ends at the bedroom door. I love it!!! When I watch movies I crank up the surround sound it's like being at the movies. And I so love watching football games, racing, baseball games etc on it!! That's my baby!