Dear "I don't associate with those who eat under 1200 c"...

Options

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Dear this thread, you should talk to this thread going on now http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/735718-if-eating-under-1200cals-is-so-bad and yell at each other for fun, LOL!

The best thing to do is find similar-minded people to you on MFP whether that be the barely 1200 group or the almost 2000 group - do what works for you as we could go back and forth all day on studies on starvation and the real effect as dramatic or mundane as determined by the results of countless studies.

Weight Watchers BTW is <1200 cals regularly, 18-22 pts or 29 pts+ is 1000-1250 in cals - trust me, I've counted enough times and swapped out foods for lower-carb ones (so you can’t say it’s the TYPE of foods) and it still always ends up the same, under eating according to many studies but yet it works. Or at least that's what Jennifer Hudson tells us ;)
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm on MFP stricly for myself...not for other people's ideas or judgements on what or how I should be doing it. Each person is different and what works for one might not work for someone else. When it comes down to it, we are all here on a journey to better ourselves. For those that constantly judge if what you are doing is right or wrong,..they have no impact on my daily life so I just let it blow through one ear and out of the other. I can appreciate good advice, but in the end it is up to me on whether or not that advice will help me out or not. I see people who like to criticize caloric intake but when you take a look at their food diaries, they eat alot of crap to get their numbers high. If you are eating alot of vegetables and lean meats, your calories will not be high yet you are still eating healthy and clean. Just do what makes you feel good and keep on moving!

well said
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We need to remember that some of the people that don't want to be friends with others who are on ultra low calorie diets may be doing so for their own well being. I'm friends with some that eat less than 1,200 a day and there have been others that I've unfriended as time has gone. It bothers me to see someone eating french toast and a starbuck's coffee for breakfast and then half a whopper from Burger King and that's it for the whole day. Seeing that day after day eventually gets to me. I try to encourage them and when i can, that's great, and I've been successful on occasion, but I've also had them hide their diaries. I have another that told me she had stomach issues. I be she does. There are others that eat 1,200 calories, but whine that they're starving and cranky. If you eat calorie dense junk you will be starving and cranky at 1,200 calories. I eat healthy, unprocessed whole foods and I feel like I eat all day.....and it's everything I can do most days to stuff 1,200 calories in me, but I do it. This works for me and it makes me happy because I don't want to be skinny, I want to be a healthy, fit thin. There's a big difference in those two goals. We're all different. Most of the people on here just want to be skinny, although there are a bunch of body builders, too. The bottom line is I think we all do what makes us comfortable, even when we're loosing weight. Some people love me and some want to unfriend me and that's cool with me. Whatever works for you! We're all individuals and I'm not going to get upset because someone on here doesn't agree with me.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    A very good post--thank you.

You make an excellent case against the "all calories are alike," just exercise and restrict calories to create a deficit and you'll lose weight. For many of us, that just doesn't work.

I took the liberty of looking at your diary, since it was open. You seem to be following the conventional diet of high-carbohydrate, low-fat, low-protein, with plenty of grains and fruit. Does your medical condition/surgery make it difficult for you to eat foods with more fat and protein? If not, you might have better luck with a higher-fat, moderate-protein, reduced-carbohydrate diet, particularly cutting out sugar and grains. You would then be able to get a higher caloric and nutrient density in the limited space you have. Fat doesn't make you fat, nor does it cause heart disease; and reasonable amounts of protein won't ruin normal, healthy kidneys.

Best wishes to you.
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    One thing to bear in mind is that people who don't want MFP friends who eat under 1200 calories aren't necessarily passing judgement. There are a lot of people on this site who are either recovering from full blown eating disorders, or who have simply spent their entire adult life going from one very low calorie fad diet to another and are trying to do things differently. For some of those people, seeing people on their friends list who are on a very low calorie diet can be a massive trigger for their own behaviour. That's not the case for everyone, but it might explain some of the "no friends eating under 1200" statements.

Well stated and very perceptive!
  • Kelsey__bee
    Options
    I never knew there was a big issue on the site about how much everyone was eating. When I signed up for MFP it just suggested that I eat 1200 calories a day, and I assumed it was based off my height (just under 5') and my weight (118lbs). Am I supposed to manually change it or something?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is under doctor and nutritionist orders to eat a goal of 900 calories a day. You can't just take the 1200 mold and apply it to everyone. Each person's ideal calorie intake is unique to that person.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Pro ED???

not getting enough cals can be detrimental even if you are getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. For one it is very difficult to get enough fat and protein on an extremely low caloric intake (<1000), and not getting enough of these 2 can have serious side effects.
    Pro Ed- Good greif no. I can only talk about my experience - I'm petite- 5ft0 and small framed. I don't think you can have a blanket figure for every body shape/ type/ weight/ gender. I prefer to listen to my body- if I'm hungry (whatever time it may be) I'll eat, and try to ensure that something i eat is healthy (e.g. celery sticks and nut butter, cubed porkloin steak, big bowl of berries etc.). I'd never force myself to eat if I wasn't hungry just to meet a target. That way if i do want something unhealthy now and again its okay- I won't beat myself up over it.

I agree that a blanket figure is crap, but having said that for the majority of people the minimum amount they should consume is above, or well above, the 1200 minimum that MFP sets. For someone really small 1000 may be appropriate, and for others the minimum should probably be in the 1600-1800 range or possibly more. And those that should have a min of 1800 that are eating 1200 can do some major damage to their bodies.

This is why the best approach is finding your TDEE and eating a % of that, 80% if you have a fair bit to lose (higher BF%) and 85-90% of that is you have a lower BF%.
  • cybercpa
    Options
    I am surprised everytime I hear folks deciding how many calories an individual should eat. I am very petite and on a 1000 calorie diet under a doctor's supervision. So, if my doctor feels that 1000 calories is appropriate for me, I tend to go with his opinion. I am on vitamin supplements and am having a physical next month with blood work to "check" my hemoglobin, cholesterol and whatever else they check. LOL I have also lost 30 pounds since May 26th. When I saw my doctor two weeks ago, he told me to take two weeks off, so my body wouldn't become used to the 1000 cals and I did. I gained a tiny .8 lbs, definitely noooo big deal and I feel quite rested and psyched up to lose my last 20 pounds.

Calorie intake has to do with an individual's BMR, activity level, overall health, amount overweight etc. There is no one size fits all for 1200 calories being the perfect amount. I have also never gained weight (nor had to lose it) before so I hardly have an eating disorder... I am on a diet that a nutritionist at the VA designed for me. High protein and healthy. No junk or fast food.

Why does anyone feel it is their "business" to decide how many calories someone else should eat? I don't even look at people's food journals because their eating choices don't influence mine, since a nutritionist designs my meals. Also, what about the exercise "maniacs"? I can't imagine burning 450 -800 calories/day "exercising" but I see a lot of folks that do and I could care less... I just wonder how their joints (knees, backs etc) can take all that "exercise but I guess they aren't 51 like I am.

Peace to all and good luck with your healthy weight loss choices. Would a disabled person confined to a wheel chair need over 1000 calories to lose weight or would you consider them sedentary...?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I never knew there was a big issue on the site about how much everyone was eating. When I signed up for MFP it just suggested that I eat 1200 calories a day, and I assumed it was based off my height (just under 5') and my weight (118lbs). Am I supposed to manually change it or something?

It is based off that somewhat, with the biggest impact being your weekly weight loss goal. And the goal MFP gives you assumes you will also be eating back 100% of the calories you burned from exercise, as MFP ignored your planned exercise when assigning calories.

Here is a good reference, if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely, that being said it is best to set a realistic safe weekly loss goal and:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Or as stated above, eat at a % of TDEE that fits your current BF%.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I started out at 1000 calories a day and the reason I did was because I was used to skipping meals so it was hard for me at first to eat a lot every day (mentally). I am now up to 1500 calories and I eat all day long and love it. The only suggestion I can make if you want to eat more calories eat things that are higher in calorie intake like nuts as they are good for you and high in calories and also peanut butter. Don't worry about what others say, I'm sure several wouldn't like my diary as I am not the healthiest eater but I am a happy eater lol
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Kelsey__bee
    Options

It is based off that somewhat, with the biggest impact being your weekly weight loss goal. And the goal MFP gives you assumes you will also be eating back 100% of the calories you burned from exercise, as MFP ignored your planned exercise when assigning calories.

Here is a good reference, if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely, that being said it is best to set a realistic safe weekly loss goal and:

Thanks Eric. I'm fairly small already and more just trying to lose a little extra fat and then tighten everything up. My account is set to about 1 lb a week so I can take it slow & safe
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options

Everything this guy said on this thread I completely agree with.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    One thing to bear in mind is that people who don't want MFP friends who eat under 1200 calories aren't necessarily passing judgement. There are a lot of people on this site who are either recovering from full blown eating disorders, or who have simply spent their entire adult life going from one very low calorie fad diet to another and are trying to do things differently. For some of those people, seeing people on their friends list who are on a very low calorie diet can be a massive trigger for their own behaviour. That's not the case for everyone, but it might explain some of the "no friends eating under 1200" statements.

:drinker:
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    I agree with most of this but i don't believe in starvation mode and i don't belive that a low-calorie lifestyle is particulary bad for health if those cals are made up of nutrient dense food.

not getting enough cals can be detrimental even if you are getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. For one it is very difficult to get enough fat and protein on an extremely low caloric intake (<1000), and not getting enough of these 2 can have serious side effects.

^what he said. I was on a low calorie intake for a very long time (still am sometimes) and even though I tried to fill majority of my calories with fats and proteins it still wasn't enough. I'd have as low as 200 calories to as high as 800. In addition to that I'd work out a lot. I got serious illnesses like blackouts, lost my period, etc etc.
    I don't believe in low calorie eating, I've never supported it. I just struggle with the guilt of eating and am trying to recover.
    I also have written that I don't "associate" with low cal eaters but that's because I don't want anyone triggering me while I'm in the process of getting better.

I would like to add that I am now more than my starting weight from undereating, yeah very depressing.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    A very good post--thank you.

You make an excellent case against the "all calories are alike," just exercise and restrict calories to create a deficit and you'll lose weight. For many of us, that just doesn't work.

I took the liberty of looking at your diary, since it was open. You seem to be following the conventional diet of high-carbohydrate, low-fat, low-protein, with plenty of grains and fruit. Does your medical condition/surgery make it difficult for you to eat foods with more fat and protein? If not, you might have better luck with a higher-fat, moderate-protein, reduced-carbohydrate diet, particularly cutting out sugar and grains. You would then be able to get a higher caloric and nutrient density in the limited space you have. Fat doesn't make you fat, nor does it cause heart disease; and reasonable amounts of protein won't ruin normal, healthy kidneys.

Best wishes to you.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my food diary, I appreciate all the help I can get :). No, my surgery doesn't impact the types of foods I can eat, just the amount. Basically the upper portion of my stomach (the part that has the greatest ability to expand with added intake) was wrapped around the bottom of my esophagus to create a sphincter to prevent continuous acid reflux. So my stomach no longer has that capability. Wish I had the knowledge back then that I do now. But thankfully, you can teach an old dog new tricks :). My number are set they way they are simply because I don't know enough about that sort of thing yet to adjust them any differently. Carbs are definitely my downfall. And protein intake is something I struggle with. I've been steadily trying to up that amount this past week.
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of this but i don't believe in starvation mode and i don't belive that a low-calorie lifestyle is particulary bad for health if those cals are made up of nutrient dense food.

Pro ED???

is that a joke? its super easy to get hoards of fat and protein and not hit 1000 cals
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

Kelsey, have a look at these three threads. I found them to be very informative:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/710742--starvation-mode-exercise-calories-dillema
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    if u have friends who are thinking about going to school to be a dietician, nutritionist,psychiatrist or life coach tell them to switch majors immediately because after being on this site ive found there must be a ton of them already out there.