sauna vs. steam room??

Options
My gym has access to both the sauna and a steam room. I love them both, but I don't know when I should use which, and if I can use them on the same day. I know there are many benefits to both, and it has already contributed to clearer skin, but will one be more beneficial than the other? Any personal experiences?

Replies

• get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I am useless for this since I hate both. Heat like that makes me want to pass out! Maybe check with a doc (?)...
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Being of Finnish descent, I have an a -FIN-ity for sauna! :laugh: (Don't throw rocks now! Its not nice! :noway: )

Nothin' better than a good sweat, folowed by a jump into a snowbank or cold UP lake! :bigsmile:

(Except maybe the ride in the ambulance afterwards) :laugh: :laugh:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I do both, but my preference is the steam room, but the steam room has to be hot enough!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sauna is the best. It warm up the body the nature way. Your body will release the toxic thru your skin. My heart rate went over 120 when I was sweating. If you want to burn more calorie, sauna is the way to go - Do google search on sauna for more info.
    Steam room.. the hot air gets in your skin to heat up your body. This room is good if you don't have a strong heart. My heart rate does not change much. If you have a stuffy nose, the steam in clear the nose nasal.

Usually I get in the steam room 1st to warm my body up then I stay in the sauna for 1/2 hour.