11 days, why I can't do this?

Options
2»

Replies

• domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. You don't have to do everything at once. Give yourself weekly challenges. For example, if there is something you eat in excess, try eating less of it each week. For things you want to eat more, do the same.

I was up to 4 packs of sugar in my tea earlier this year. I went down a pack every week for a month and by the time I got to 0, it wasn't a big deal.

Also, I challenge myself to try something new (food wise) at least twice a month. If you're trying to do everything at once, you won't be able to stick to it because it can be overwhelming, especially with a busy schedule.
  • lbigham1
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else said this already or not, but don't deprive yourself of anything. If someone told me I couldnt eat mexican food or chocolate ever again, I would cry, Just make sure to eat in moderation. Instead of having a snickers bar, have one of those snack size ones. That usually will fulfill the craving without ALL the cals. Also... if you want that plate of tacos (which I know I do), eat it. Just dont eat it every day. Or make sure you have a smaller lunch and breakfast to make up for your dinner. You'll eventually figure out what works best for you! Also, you can try some sites that have recipes for delicious food but made in a healthier way. Skinnytaste.com is a really good one.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

^^^^
    And ... totally this! You don't have to give up a thing. It's all about portion control. I enjoy snack size goodies as well and LOVE skinnytaste.com!
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi

I still eat a balanced diet but I have found that salt is a killer for me and I need to keep it down to less than 2500 a day (that is only 2.5grams) - it seems to cause my weight to fluctuate due to water retention. Read food labels as you will find that common 'student' foods such as noodles, soup (powdered and liquid), burgers and other processed meats such as baloney, ham sausages etc have high salt content (look for sodium on the label).

For instance, a serving of tinned soup can be more than half of my day's salt allowance just by itself!

It is also really good to stabilise your blood sugar as another member has posted earlier - fluctuations in blood sugar during the day make you feel hungry - if youy can eat snacks that have both protein and carbs (e.g. nuts and seeds, chicken etc) rather than sugary snacks this will keep you fuller
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Welcome! What a great first step! This site is wonderful and you will find so much support. Lots of great advice already, but here's my two cents on the exercise side:

When I was a super busy student, I bought myself a little compact stepper for about $30 at a sporting goods store. It fit under the side table in my itty bitty apartment, right next to the couch. I set up a "standing desk" (actually just a $20 laptop stand I already had set as high as it would go lol) and did the stepper, slowly and without strain, while doing my reading for class. It's weird at first, but you get used to it and before you know it you've been moving for an hour or two.

You don't need fancy equipment, time to go to the gym, a heart rate monitor, or anything else to make tiny changes like this. Don't make it a burden on your schedule. You have to study and work, probably for hours every day, so work your exercise into that time. Even if you're just standing there with no equipment at all jogging in place or something! When you can't stand looking at the book/computer screen anymore and you would normally get up and get a snack or drink, go for a short walk or climb some stairs in your building instead. Simple, low-stress changes like that. And it doesn't happen overnight, habits are really really REALLY hard to break.

Good luck!

Edited to add: the stepper and things like that are how I lost 38lbs before I had ever even heard of MFP, in case anyone looked at my 7lbs lost and three weeks or whatever on the site and rolled their eyes :tongue:
  • deeznutz777
    deeznutz777 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    give it at least 3 weeks....it supposed to take 21 days to turn bad habits into good ones! You can do it, just keep at it a bit longer. Nobody here is perfect, if we were we wouldnt need MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Sorry no one said it would be easy. If you are so stressed out exercise more.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    baby steps honey. Try simply eating LESS of the things you are struggling to give up. Use a little LESS sugar for a week - see how you feel about it... maybe you can use even less at that point. Try eating less chocolate... or try switching to dark chocolate.

And give yourself props when you are able to make a good change!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I can see in your food diary why you are hungry, you aren't eating enough protein and too many grains. Try to get your carbs from fruit and vegetable sources. Add in more beans! They are high in fiber and protein and keep you feeling full for a long time. Anything that is grain based is going to have a lot of calories per serving. I try to limit my grains to 1 serving per day (one slice of bread or one serving of oatmeal).

Try to exceed your protein goals every day. This will help a lot to keep your body going and stop the hunger pains.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary (I love it when people make them public, because it's really helpful in helping you out by the way).

I think I've figured out why you are hungry. You desperately need more quality proteins in your diet. Protein fills you up better than anything else, and it'll help you get the overall calories under control with far less hunger.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    looking at your diary you are eating very high call foods ie lndomie - Chicken Curry Noodles, 1 package 377 for breakfast. there are so many foods better for you, your carbs are way to high. a large portion of your intake is rice and noodles and portion size maybe to large. more veg with a few noodles a small half cup of rice with veg . looks like you live in Indonesia were the food is delicious but ........ for every day you should eat sensible
  • kari11
    Options
    We sound like the same person! I am also doing my masters ( in special education) and I work full time teaching. My days are ok as I am busy with the students - but I am a slacker! The evening sare the worst - I am also a tv watcher - it is largest vice and indulgence!
    I started by making myself not go down the isles with the foods I crave (candy, chips, etc). It is tough! I also brush my teeth early in the evening and this has helped me to stop snacking - usually! I also found it helpful to chew gum. I have bought almost every flavor you can imagine -- helps curb the cravings!
    I think it is a process and if you deny yourself everything you won't be able to keep it up. As for excercise I have to literally make myself go out and walk! I got an iPod for a b-day gift and loaded it with my fab tunes and this helped. I also like to people watch so if I am in a town with a large mall I window shop and walk around. Sounds cheesy but it is at least walking. I also park far away from stores so I have to walk to get there!
    I have even written a goal down like this week I will walk every morning and this has helped to see my goal.
    I hope something I said here is helpful - feel free to message me anytime!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It takes a month before something becomes habit. You need to have patience. Choose one thing at a time to change. It has to be small changes, big ones will overwhelm you and leave you feeling stressed. First try switching to one-two small pieces of dark chocolate a day. Once you get that in control, cut out liquid calories like juice and sugar in your coffee, etc. And like the other posters said, get some more protein! Foods high in carbs process quickly. Your blood sugar spikes the drops shortly after eating, making you feel hungry even though you aren't. Foods higher in protein will not do that.
  • manohirarevolutions
    Options
    I don't recognize a lot of the products you are eating as they aren't available here in the US but I notice your carbs are pretty high and protein is very low are you vegetarian? If so I suggest more beans and legumes they are more filling and tend to stick with you and fill you up. If not then up your meat portions and decrese your carbs. Try to eat whole grain carbs when possible use brown rice instead of white.

Also try to switch to lower calorie chocolate choices or eat only half of a portion if you just have to have it and save the rest for later. If you go to Starbucks request skim milk. If you cook with coconut milk use the lite version. You'd be surprised how many calories little changes will save you. you can also up your exercise by parking fartehr away form your classes and walking more, taking th steps etc. Start with little changes so you won;t be discouraged and once you have those down change a few more things.

You can do it!

no, I'm not vegetarian. Meals in my place are contain alot of carbs. and we dont eat much protein from animal. we eat alot of tofu and tempeh, unfortunately I dont really like tempeh.
    I think am gonna try brown rice, hopefully it will make me feel full longer.
  • manohirarevolutions
    Options
    Welcome! What a great first step! This site is wonderful and you will find so much support. Lots of great advice already, but here's my two cents on the exercise side:

When I was a super busy student, I bought myself a little compact stepper for about $30 at a sporting goods store. It fit under the side table in my itty bitty apartment, right next to the couch. I set up a "standing desk" (actually just a $20 laptop stand I already had set as high as it would go lol) and did the stepper, slowly and without strain, while doing my reading for class. It's weird at first, but you get used to it and before you know it you've been moving for an hour or two.

You don't need fancy equipment, time to go to the gym, a heart rate monitor, or anything else to make tiny changes like this. Don't make it a burden on your schedule. You have to study and work, probably for hours every day, so work your exercise into that time. Even if you're just standing there with no equipment at all jogging in place or something! When you can't stand looking at the book/computer screen anymore and you would normally get up and get a snack or drink, go for a short walk or climb some stairs in your building instead. Simple, low-stress changes like that. And it doesn't happen overnight, habits are really really REALLY hard to break.

Good luck!

Edited to add: the stepper and things like that are how I lost 38lbs before I had ever even heard of MFP, in case anyone looked at my 7lbs lost and three weeks or whatever on the site and rolled their eyes :tongue:

Thank you!

It's a great idea. am gonna check at local Walmart here.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I start counting calories since sept 1st and MFP set my calories intake 1542 a day. Everyday I always exceed my calories intake.

On the first day, I could say to myself, It's okay if you exceed your calories intake, at least now you're learning to log your food.
    But now am already on the second week and I still can change my eating habbit.

I start eat more fruits and vegetables, but I still can give up chocolate and tea (with sugar).

I'm a graduate student and currently working on my dissertation. Am also have a part time job. I dont want to make excuses, but really, it's very very hard for me to study/work when am hungry. I'm also still not able to start exercise.

I really want to change and get a healthy body. please tell me what to do :(

I'm going to be honest here. I'm a full time mom, wife, part time waitress, web designer, photographer. People ask me all the time "When do you ever find a moment to slow down?" I don't, I've lost 116lbs, but not by being a busy woman, but by making time. Someone who is busier then you, is doing it. Not saying I'm busier then you at all, just saying that some out there who is busier then you is doing it.

You are making excuses "I can't eat healthier because I can't give up sweets and I'm busy." that's an excuse, plane and simple. I have a friend who is a CEO of a big company, he is also a body builder, a husband and a father of 2. He is always working but some how makes time.

Do you want to lose weight or do you want your sweets? Which do you want the most? You can still have your sweets and lose weight. Space your food out, morning time have your breakfast, have 1 snack before lunch, have lunch, have a snack between lunch and dinner, have dinner and then have an evening snack. Space it out, measure it out, count it out. It's not easy at first, but you will get use to it. Plan ahead! This is a huge one for me. I like to plan my meals out ahead of time, if that is possible for me. I want to know what my breakfast and other 2 big meals are gonna be for the day, the snacks sometimes I'll just weave in there, but at first it might be best to plan those as well. This way you know what you are eating and it's easier to stay on track.

Ok you are busy and can't find time to workout. But yet you can, all you have to do is make whatever it is you are doing into a workout. Like where I work, I don't walk during my shift, I pretty much run the entire time, I do not bend down to get things, I squat and press. I always try to add some sorta workout. I also offer to lift the heavy items or take on the more physical duties around me. I've noticed that helps a lot for me.