Weight Watchers vs low-cal diet? which works best?

Options
I'm wondering what peoples opinions are on weight watchers vs any other diet really but I'm leaning towards low cal

What has worked for you? what are you results? whats easier?

Replies

• gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi I lost 35 lbs with the weightwatchers plan years ago so it does work what I found difficult was to maintain what I lost and eventually I regained most of the weight,I have found sensible eating and exercise to be the most effective it has to be doable to be maintained all the time not just weeks or months! A step back from the table and astep out the door was once quoated to me and its very true!!!!
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I also did WW and lost over 40 lbs, maintained for about a year and then gained 50 back.
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi I lost 35 lbs with the weightwatchers plan years ago so it does work what I found difficult was to maintain what I lost and eventually I regained most of the weight,I have found sensible eating and exercise to be the most effective it has to be doable to be maintained all the time not just weeks or months! A step back from the table and astep out the door was once quoated to me and its very true!!!!

This!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Both worked for me. 12lbs on WW and almost 40lbs on here. I lost more on MFP bc I didnt have to pay to stick with it. I customized it for me (and what works for me probably wont work for others). I think its easy to get caught up in the I have to $ (either a membership, weekly fee, food delivery service, pill dr, etc) to lose weight when most of the time, thats not true.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers IS a low-cal diet, it just shows you "points" instead of calories. MFP and weight watchers are practically the same thing. There are some minor differences but it's the exact same concept. Some people have more success with one than the other. I like the idea of MFP better because you can learn about actual calories in food rather than just learning about the "points" they are associated with, which mean nothing in the real world.
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've tried WW but you dont really learn to count calories properly. I say save your money and spend it on healthier food to lose weight on your own!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    WW IS a low-cal diet.

Oy.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    They're the same thing. Weight watchers has to present it in a gimmicky way or you'd have no reason to pay 10 dollars for the honor of working hard on your own and letting them weigh you once a week. They convert everything into points so you don't know the real deal, which is less in than out. :)
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers IS a low-cal diet, it just shows you "points" instead of calories. MFP and weight watchers are practically the same thing. There are some minor differences but it's the exact same concept. Some people have more success with one than the other. I like the idea of MFP better because you can learn about actual calories in food rather than just learning about the "points" they are associated with, which mean nothing in the real world.

Yup practically the same thing, cept its free here, but some people need that accountability of weighing with an actual person and oeprate better in group settings. Kind of like class room vs. on line. Concepts are the same. Try both and see which works for you, its all about you! I too tried weight watchers and got good results, but didnt want to keep paying when I found MFP is a mirror image. Good Luck!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    For me, it's definitely MFP because on WW some foods are free and you can eat as much of them as you like. So even though they be fruits and vegetables they all have calories and it all adds up. For me, even after only 2 weeks with MFP, I'm really learning to think about what I'm putting in my mouth. It's also less restrictive as you literally can eat whatever you like - as long as you know moderation!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I tried WW when they first came out with the points system. It was really complicated to me, having to carry around the book with that had foods listed, keeping track of your points etc. etc.
    The problem for me was that I couldn't look at food in terms of a point as everything has a different calorie amount. Saying this I did lose 16 lbs doing it along with the gym, but once I stopped I gained it all back and then some.

Since being on MFP it all makes sense to me. I know that WW is now online and tracking is a whole lot simpler, but I don't want to pay for what I get here for free.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Actually calories are not calculated into WW points.
  • bakz4
    bakz4 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I tried WW several times over the years. I guess the best way to put it is that I didn't make it work for me. Figuring out points, etc was too much for me. With MFP, you see the calories on the wrapper of what you are going to eat and you know if it will fit into your plan. Most weight loss programs now have apps for uploading calories, but I find MFP easiest to use, most convenient, and very workable. I've lost 25 pounds since April - which is something I have yet to attain with ANY program I've used.

Good luck in your journey and with your choice!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Some people do really well with the in-person support of weekly weight watchers meetings.

If you're doing Weight Watchers online, there are few differences between MFP and WW, except MFP is free. Again, though, some people do very well with the "free" fruits and veggies on WW as well as the way activity points are spread out over the week instead of here on MFP, where "exercise" cals are added to your daily allowance.

Personally, I like free. I also like not having to convert my food into arbitrary and proprietary "points" that are subject to change whenever WW decides to change its program.

For me, MFP is something I can work with long-term, well into maintenance. It's taught me portions and healthy eating habits, and forced me to examine what's in my food beyond just the calories.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

But the components of a calorie are.

Either will work, it just depends on which one you want to use.
  • GeekyNerd
    GeekyNerd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have tried both but found more success with MFP. I tried the new Points Plus system but found it contradictory. They show that fruit is a zero point value which to some meant they could eat it all day long and not worry about it. We all know that's not true as fruits have calories in them. If you want to cut calories I think it's best to use a system that does exactly that and shows you an honest answer.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

But the components of a calorie are.

Either will work, it just depends on which one you want to use.

Ha, exactly - carbs are 4 cals, fat is 9 cals, protein is 4 cals per gram, and fiber is subtracted in some copyrighted manner. Calories are most definitely taken into account.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    They both work, because they do the same thing- restrict calories.

Some people do better with the WW community and meetings as they offer guidance and accountability. I prefer calorie counting only because I like to eat food without constraints and special points calculations.

Pick what works for you, and the one you think you can stick with, because that's ultimately what will work. :smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For me they were about the same thing because I came from the prior (Momentum?) points system on WW. You track your food to stay accountable, get a little activity in to earn extra points and work on getting more fruits, veggies and your water intake in. However, I have to add that not all WW meetings are built the same - I've heard stories from different parts of the country where they approach the program slightly differently so I guess it depends on where you are and who your leaders are. Anyway, I lost almost 60 pounds then had a rough time over the 2010-2011 holiday season, tried to start back up but I was on my own since that's when WW started their Points Plus program and I didn't care for it. Thankfully I found MFP shortly after!

The biggest difference I saw between the Momentum plan and MFP was that WW provided loopholes with the fiber intake since the higher the fiber, the lower the points. A lot of folks practically lived on the "Fiber One" products including yours truly. Now I think those things are disgusting, although I do like the Fiber Plus bars.
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options

This:smile: