Eating Healthy + Drinking Alcohol = Getting Nowhere

Options
I never in my life thought I would be one of "those people" who struggled with alcohol.... But over the past 2 years I have become fairly dependent on the stuff. It seems like everyday when I leave work I run by the liquor store and get a bottle of wine or whiskey or beer. But I'm not one who can be satisfied with one glass of wine or one cocktail or one can of beer. Who are those people anyway!!?? I'm not happy until it's gone or until I'm passed out. As a result, over the past 2 years I have gained 25 pounds.

In an attempt to get a handle on the weight gain I began eating healthier. The usual no drive thru's, more fruit and salad and less junk kinda thing. I even started exercising doing mainly Zumba 2x a week. On Friday nights I have a habbit of "treating" myself with (yep you guessed it) booze. So I booze it up on Friday night, wake up with a hangover Saturday, have a Bloody Mary to relieve said hangover which of course results in another Bloody Mary b/c I can't stop with just one. Saturday night I drink again. Sunday is usually a beer day. By Monday I'm on the eating healthy kick again, but I also stop and get booze of some sort to unwind after work. Honestly, if I go one day a week without any alcohol I feel like I've accomplished something. Food is not the real issue with me... It's the alcohol.

You may call me a functioning alcoholic or a binge drinker - I just think what I am is pitiful! Even reading this makes me mad at myself. So I have made up my mind to challenge myself - I am going to go 30 Days, at the very least, with NO alcohol. My first full day of no alcohol was Saturday. Today makes day 4 (yay me).

I am determined to take alcohol out of the equation and actually GET SOMEWHERE!!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    1. Low calorie drinks such as flavored vodka + soda water (70 cals a pop).
    2. Drinks you mentioned are high calorie drinks, a single glass of wine sporting 140+ cals.
    3. You DO have an alcohol problem if you simply can't have a glass or two and be done.
    4. Buy the small bottles.

If alcohol is a serious problem for you, such as you've described, abstinence may be the best bet for you. Definitely choose to seek advice, treatment, and even general counsel from family, friends, and professional sources.
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I understand and identify with a lot of your post. May I make a suggestion? Instead of booze being the after-work "unwind" why not head to the gym if only just to walk on the treadmill either hill climb or at a brisk pace for thirty minutes or get with a trainer for one of those free sessions that most gyms offer and ask about circuit training. This will give you a 30 day goal that will get your metabolism revved for the 30 days. So your accomplishment will be two-fold: you will have 30 days of better health regarding both physical fitness as well as nutrition.

For me, it was about getting serious with my goals and being tired of wondering where my $ went. I spend a fraction of the $ I used to spend on booze (since I stopped buying and keeping it in the house) on more expensive foods that I enjoy (salmon 4 nights a week) that are really good for me. Win/win

And stay THE HELL AWAY from AA. They are nothing more than groups that tear you down so that those who've been there longer (who were also torn down by more senior members) can feel better about themselves by tearing newbies down. If your family and friends can't support your new desire to GET HEALTHY then limit your contact with them opting for those who do support you.

Ultimately, this is about wants and needs. The choice is ALWAYS up to you. :) You should NEED to be healthy more then you WANT to drink. Once your tolerance to alcohol goes down you will get more than lit from 1/2 drinks.
  • meldins0831
    Options
    1. Low calorie drinks such as flavored vodka + soda water (70 cals a pop).
    2. Drinks you mentioned are high calorie drinks, a single glass of wine sporting 140+ cals.
    3. You DO have an alcohol problem if you simply can't have a glass or two and be done.
    4. Buy the small bottles.

If alcohol is a serious problem for you, such as you've described, abstinence may be the best bet for you. Definitely choose to seek advice, treatment, and even general counsel from family, friends, and professional sources.

Thank you for the advice! I know I have a problem and abstinence is def the best for me :)
  • meldins0831
    Options
    I understand and identify with a lot of your post.

Ultimately, this is about wants and needs. The choice is ALWAYS up to you. :)

Thanks!
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I recommend joining a few groups here at MFP whose members are in the same situation as you are. If you click on the "Groups" option, then type in "Alcohol" you'll get about 2 pages worth of groups. I would browse and join a few groups from the list. That way, you'll have the opportunity to share your experiences and hear what has (and hasn't) worked for others in your situation.

I wish you success in changing your lifestyle.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase where I was drinking about half a bottle of wine a night. Now I’m down to no more than 8 oz a night and not every night. I log it in my daily calorie count as a snack. So if I’m getting 100 cals from a glass of wine, that means no cookies or chips or whatever else I might have had as a snack.

Do not quit cold turkey without a doctor’s assistance. You could end up going into withdrawal and it won’t be fun.

Consider talking to a therapist who specializes in substance issues.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd just stop drinking altogether.

Sure you can switch to the low calorie drinks, but you still end up with a bad diet if you're hungover. You can't workout as intensely with a hangover. And you eventually revert to your old habits.

Give it up, get help if you need to.
  • emnk5308
    Options
    I know alcoholics.. :grumble:

Is there someone you can talk to about this? It sounds like something more is going on.. :frown: **I'm not saying you are an alcoholic at all!! Trust me.. I don't know you and would never assume that. BUT it sounds like you probably need to talk :heart:

Try to stop drinking, get control of your weight.. try to build yourself up, get your will power back.. once you've lost the weight and feel confident then maybe try to have a drink or 2.. :flowerforyou:

Good Luck :heart:
  • SHAMLEYCHAR
    Options
    GOOD JOB ON THE 4 DAYS AS A FORMER DRUG ADDICT I KNOW ITS REAL HARD TO FIND THE WILL POWER... I KNOW ALCOHOL IS NOT QUITE THE SAME THING BUT I THINK THE TEMPTATION IS!!!!!!!!!! SO GOOD GOOD JOB AND I KNOW YOU CAN MAKE IT TO UR 30 DAYS AND BEYOND!!!!!!!!!
  • meldins0831
    Options
    Thanks for the advice you guys! I'm not SO dependent on the stuff that I have withdrawals - thank goodness! Which is why I want to get a handle on it now.
  • vinnieti
    vinnieti Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You might want to give some thought to why your drinking after work and find other outlets to blow off some steam. As you get older your body wont be as forgiving to the alcohol consumption.

I also struggled with breaking my diets when I drank, so ultimately I had to not drink when dieting. I just no willpower when I've had a few drinks.

Good luck and I hope you stick with it.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You may call me a functioning alcoholic or a binge drinker - I just think what I am is pitiful!

Come on here in Wisconsin we would call you just a normal average person.. Coming from a state that most of its past time is eating food and drinking alcohol I know your situation. The problem is all the empty calories and the eating that goes with drinking. If you drank saturday night, and didn't have anything to drink Sunday (and gave up friday too) that would probably be acceptable. I drink only on Saturday nights now.
    I do usually stick with low cal options (whiskey water, vodka diet soda type items) but wine is pretty high in calories, and a bloody Mary depending where you go can be a meal (800+ calories) so if you have 2 thats almost a days worth of calories... Just got to learn to make smarter choices when you go out, I wouldn't say you have a problem but thats coming from the state where all other states think we have a problem.
  • Cinnamon0603
    Cinnamon0603 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

And stay THE HELL AWAY from AA. They are nothing more than groups that tear you down so that those who've been there longer (who were also torn down by more senior members) can feel better about themselves by tearing newbies down. If your family and friends can't support your new desire to GET HEALTHY then limit your contact with them opting for those who do support you.

Obviously you had a bad experience with AA, which I am really sorry for. But please remember that millions upon millions of addicts/alcoholics have found recovery and better life with the help of AA. Just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean that it doesn't work.
  • meldins0831
    Options
    @Greenrun99 - I just LOL! Thanks for that!

@vinnieti - I have increased exercise these past 4 days. And since I haven't drank, I haven't had a desire to eat junk/carbs.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    i admire you for trying to stop it before it gets completely out of hand. One of my best friend's is a functioning alcholic, she even admits it, and knows that it's what's stumping her weight loss. Yet, she won't give it up.
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Obviously you had a bad experience with AA, which I am really sorry for. But please remember that millions upon millions of addicts/alcoholics have found recovery and better life with the help of AA. Just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

You're assumption, though understandable, is incorrect. I don't have an addictive personality so I'm not now nor have I ever been an alcoholic. My experiences have been with alcoholics (both at work - I chose to employ many addicts/alcoholics because I believe that everyone deserves a chance if they apply themselves and want to make changes - and personally through relationships) ...and without question, the end result is always the same = not good.

There have also been many studies and the fact is that AA has no greater success rate than those who go to other non-AA 12 step programs or quit on their own. I didn't make this up. It is a statistical fact. Anyone who becomes and addict/alcoholic clearly has issues that have caused them to develop a dependence whether it is physical or emotional. And I do believe that there are many effective programs/professionals who can help a person who needs this type of help. AA isn't one of them.

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-effectiveness.html
  • buckmeatball
    buckmeatball Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to give you a label because it really doesn't matter, you've decided to make a change and alot of us have been in the same boat I will speak to your point though about alchol and weight gain. Even though they are empty calories, I think there's more to it that makes the body add fat. I've tried doing it "my way" and drink as long as it was in my calorie allowance. It doesn't work. I'm not sure of the science behind it but its more than just calories in vs calories out with alcohol. Good luck on your new journey.
  • careyannal
    Options
    OP, you say that once you buy the alcohol you are not satisfied until it is gone, or you are passed out. This is not healthy.

Your weight gain is only a symptom of the larger problem, your drinking. I would focus on your relationship with alcohol before anything else. Until you address that, it will be hard to make any other positive changes.

Feel free to message me if you need any guidance, I am in school to become a Certified Substance Abuse Counselor, and have a lot of experience in the field.

Good luck
  • jessdunham31
    Options
    You may call me a functioning alcoholic or a binge drinker - I just think what I am is pitiful!

Come on here in Wisconsin we would call you just a normal average person.. Coming from a state that most of its past time is eating food and drinking alcohol I know your situation. The problem is all the empty calories and the eating that goes with drinking. If you drank saturday night, and didn't have anything to drink Sunday (and gave up friday too) that would probably be acceptable. I drink only on Saturday nights now.
    I do usually stick with low cal options (whiskey water, vodka diet soda type items) but wine is pretty high in calories, and a bloody Mary depending where you go can be a meal (800+ calories) so if you have 2 thats almost a days worth of calories... Just got to learn to make smarter choices when you go out, I wouldn't say you have a problem but thats coming from the state where all other states think we have a problem.

People talk about us?! Hopefully not about this past weekend's performance from 2 of 3 teams in your profile pic?! grrr...

Now I am not encouraging you to drink if you don't want to...but I found this a helpful website if you are looking to compare notes
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • tubway
    tubway Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to give you a label because it really doesn't matter, you've decided to make a change and alot of us have been in the same boat I will speak to your point though about alchol and weight gain. Even though they are empty calories, I think there's more to it that makes the body add fat. I've tried doing it "my way" and drink as long as it was in my calorie allowance. It doesn't work. I'm not sure of the science behind it but its more than just calories in vs calories out with alcohol. Good luck on your new journey.

You are right about this. For me too the issue in gaining weight was too much alcohol consumption and making really poor food choices because of it. It wasn't really the amount of calories of food I was eating but the types, and plus the calories from the alcohol of course didn't help. Anyway, back to your point about it being more than just calories in calories our with alcohol. I have been using recipes from Jillian Michaels' Master Your Metabolism cookbook and in it she gives a bit of background about the hormones involved in weight gain. According to her book, alcohol makes you produce more estrogen which makes your body want to store more fat, especially in the gut area, which is I guess why it's called a beer belly. lol. I noticed also, that since I gained weight this time from too much alcohol I wound up with a gut that I never had before. In the past when my weight had fluctuated up and down just from being lazy and eating a little too much or whatever I would basically gain there last but not when I gained from drinking. It could also be because I am over 30 now and my body will start storing fat differently but I think alcohol definitely has something to do with it. I've given it up mostly and I notice when I do have a weekend where I want to party, even if I stick with my calories and exercise, my waist still seems to suffer.

To the OP, your story sounds similar to mine where drinking is concerned although I gained way more than 25 lbs unfortunately. You can do it! Definitely try to stay away from people you drink around and don't keep it in the house if it's just you. I only feel tempted if it's there or if I go to my parents' house where everybody drinks. And if you do have a drink, definitely go with low cal stuff like vodka and sparkling water with lemon or something. Don't do diet soda drinks if you can avoid it because I think they exacerbate the whole belly fat issue. Anyway, this has been long enough I guess and people probably lost interest half way through :smile: Good luck to you! (I was going to put the drinker smiley but I guess it's not appropriate)

ETA: I thought of one more thing. I sleep WAY better now without the alcohol. I used to think I needed to pass out just to get a good night's sleep because I'd have trouble falling asleep if I wasn't in that hazy non-thinking state but it was the opposite. I would be good for a couple hrs and then just end up waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or something and not be able to go back to sleep for 2 hrs. Cutting out the alcohol and exercising has done wonders for my sleep and I can now sleep a full 8 hrs without waking up at all.