Eating Exercise Calories

Options
I know everyone has opinions about whether or not you should, but really that's not what I am interested in. What I want to know is for those of you who DO eat back your calories burned, how would you recommend doing so for a person who exercises later in the day? For instance, by the time I get home from the gym some nights it's about 8pm. I try to be in bed by 10pm to get as close to 8 hours as I can. If you really shouldn't eat right before bed (which I have to do because I'm usually starving after a good workout), how can you make sure to cover all of those extra calories? I eat until I'm satisfied at every meal and yet on my highest days usually don't break 1500 calories which is still pretty far from the 2000+ I should eat with workout.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    If you know you are working out that night, eat more during the day.

Or have a smoothie with protein powder before bed.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options

This exactly. =)
  • merlyngrey
    Options
    Work in your exercise calories from the previous day so you can spread them out through the day.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I also each back my calories and workout in the late afternoon. I usually pre-log all my food (planning has been essential to my weight loss, even cheat meals) and then make sure I have enough for the day. If I go over, then I know my minimum calorie goal for the evening.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    If you know you are going to workout why not eat the calories first?
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If I was going eat back calories after a pre-bed workout, I would just eat them back the following day.
  • foreversunshine1
    foreversunshine1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I too workout later in the day. On days I know I will work out, I eat more calories with breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack...leaving enough for a light dinner with dessert after workout.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options

This is a great idea if you know for sure you will work out. I just know it wouldnt work for me.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat them back because I see better results if I don't, and I'm not 100% accurate about how much I eat so if I underestimate calories eaten and overestimate calories burned it probably evens out some. I preplan all my food and exercise for the day so I know what to eat when; I fuel up before my workout and eat a light meal afterwards.
  • RoosMommy01
    Options

I just started doing this last week and it really seems to be working for me. I put in all the food I plan on eating that day and then see how much exercise I will have to do in order to even it out. I used to work out 1-2 hours a day and am now down to only 30-40 minutes. (More on days that I eat more) and with last week alone I lose almost 3 lbs!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I've tried eating them back pre-workout. There are some days that I burn a lot. Wednesdays for example, I take three classes at the gym - Kickboxing, Body Pump, then a "Dancer's Sculpt" class. I enjoy all of these classes and they only happen to be offered on that day so I make sure I make them. However, if I eat a large lunch before going to the gym (or if I eat lunch too close to the time I go to the gym), I feel rather ill.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Either plan ahead, or log them the following day instead. IE, if you run 5 miles tonight, log it for tomorrow, then log tomorrow's on Thursday, etc.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    There's no reason why you can't eat them the next day or spread them out over a couple of days.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a substantial snack beforehand so I'm not starving when I get home, and I try to prepare as much of my dinner as I can before I exercise so I'm not up late cooking.

For example: yesterday I got home from work, fed and walked the dogs, and then immediately started chopping up vegetables for a casserole-type thing that I planned on having for dinner. While I was prepping the casserole I whipped up a small omelette and ate that with a plum as a snack. Then I ran off to spinning and barre class. When I got home I immediately preheated the oven and started baking the casserole a few minutes later. I wasn't starving because I'd eaten earlier, so I didn't need to eat a huge amount when it came out of the oven. And because I'd done most of the work ahead of time I wasn't eating immediately before bed.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Either plan ahead, or log them the following day instead. IE, if you run 5 miles tonight, log it for tomorrow, then log tomorrow's on Thursday, etc.

This - I have several friends who log them the next day. Your body doesn't automatically reset itself at midnight, so this is a perfectly reasonable approach.

And, you can eat after 8pm....you won't turn into a pumpkin or gain any weight just because it's after a certain time on the clock.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them back that exact evening or that exact day. As someone has already suggested, spread them over the next day (or days)

Trying adding things like a handful of mixed (unbleached / unsalted) nuts, an avocado, a small baked potato, a chunk of cheddar cheese, a banana or a half cup of pasta to a meal you were going to eat anyway. This will easily and healthily get your calorie numbers up.

Have a search - there are plenty of threads on the MPF forums about how to add healthy clean foods to your diet which will compliment the exercise you are doing and give you the energy you need.
  • o2bADyer
    Options

This exactly. =)

Ditto!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've tried eating them back pre-workout. There are some days that I burn a lot. Wednesdays for example, I take three classes at the gym - Kickboxing, Body Pump, then a "Dancer's Sculpt" class. I enjoy all of these classes and they only happen to be offered on that day so I make sure I make them. However, if I eat a large lunch before going to the gym (or if I eat lunch too close to the time I go to the gym), I feel rather ill.

You don't need to eat a "large" lunch ... it's not really the meal "just before" that fuels your workout. On Wednesday, work in some extra calories at breaskfast, maybe have a healthy snack (or 2) on your gym days. Calorie dense foods (nut butters, nuts, avacado) will help you bump up your calories.

Eating calories back is about "preserving" existing muscle mass ... very important.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, guys!
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    One thing to think about ....
    Someone pointed out that the body doesn't really "know" what time it is and to think about getting your calories in every 24 hours - so if you work out later in the day, eat something light, if you like, otherwise, load up for breakfast!

That way, on any given 24 hours period, you've eaten back your calories and the body is properly fueled