Bananas - Need help using them up!

Options
I over bought bananas and I don't want these great sources of potassium and other great nutrients go to waste but I started thinking, "I am gluten and dairy intolerant; what the heck am I going to do with these things?". I was thinking of mixing some organic peanut butter (Ingredients: Peanuts) with some mashed bananas and using water to water down it's consistancy and stirring some quinoa into it and seeing how that turns out.

Anyone else have any other unconventional and crazy ideas worth trying?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    They freeze well. Just pop them in the freezer, skin on. When ready to use, take them out, let them thaw on the counter for about 5 minutes, where they soften enough to get the skin off, then use them in smoothies or banana bread or stirred into oatmeal. The consistency will be more runny, so the thawed version would work in any "runny" banana application.
  • ailiel
    ailiel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I freeze them with the skins off in ziploc bags. I take half of a frozen banana and leave it in a bowl for a few minutes, then I mash it up. Ice cream substitute, and a great treat after running. Sometimes, if it's available, I put a little whipped cream on top.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Absolutely freeze them (skins off) ..... they defrost quickly ..... add a few chopped almonds and/or dark chocolate bits ..... OMG, delicious !
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I agree with the skin off method. I have tried it both ways and off is much easier.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you have a really good blender, unpeel, cut and freeze the banana. Put the frozen banana chunks in the blender and blend until it becomes "ice cream" seriously delicious

Make chunky monkeys. Put Banana smeared w PB on a popsicle stick, freeze on cookie sheet w waxed paper and then coat in melted chocolate, freeze again. To DIE for

Gluten free Pancakes: mash two bananas w one egg (or two egg whites) dash of vanilla (optional), dash of cinnamon (optional) Spray pan w nonstick and cook on low heat until set, flip, keep cooking like a pancake. make sure to cook on low so the sugars in the bananas don't burn before the eggs are cooked through.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I slice mine and freeze them and use in smoothies or just whip up for a creamy treat. One of my fave protein smoothies is 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/3 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt, scoop of chocolate protein powder, TBS of PB2 and 1/2 frozen banana.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    They make a fantastic ice cream substiute. I peel them and freeze them in ziploc baggies. I then take them out and put them in the blender and mix until they are mooshed up. They are great plain like this, or someimtes I throw in a little PB2 or cocoa powder. Yummy!
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Freeze them awsome blended smoothies, and awesome blended for ice cream, dips the im some dark choc, and freeze have a fudge pop.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    pancakes/crepes with frozen banana and fried peaches... Yum

Alternatively remove skin... Put banana on popsicle stick dip in melted dark chocolate... Place on greaseproof paper and freeze
  • Toshiana123
    Options
    1 banana, 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, and 1-2 cups of baby spinach...Blend. Soooo delicious! ;0)