What makes a "good" workout?

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I got a little home gym type setup to get me started on lifting weights. It has a pull down bar, a place to bench press, and also came with some adjustable free weights. It also included a long list ofexercises withinstructions and examples on how to do them. But, I am so confused! I wanted to do upper body today, and there are at least 30 upper body exercises listed. Which should I pick? How many should I do? Do I need to work each muscle group more than one? For example, there were three or four different tricep exercises listed. Do I need to do them all?

Replies

• mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Aim for exercises that work out large muscles and/or multiple muscles. You could probably do some type of bent over row with the free weights that would work your back and biceps all at once.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Something like this is be fine:

Bench 4x6
    Pull ups 3x AMRAP -2
    Bent over Rows 3x8
    Over head press 3x8
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Something like this is be fine:

Bench 4x6
    Pull ups 3x AMRAP -2
    Bent over Rows 3x8
    Over head press 3x8

This for upper. Basically for whole body you want

Quad domimant leg (squat variant)
    Hamstring\glute dominant leg (deadlift variant)
    Horizontal press (bench press variant)
    Horizontal pull (rowing variant)
    Vertical press (over head press variant)
    Vertical pull (chinup\pullup variant)

Here is a ton more info on lifting

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have three "gym" days per week - chest/triceps... shoulders/biceps... and core/balance/back... I know a lot of people recommend doing your whole body every time... but I get very sore post workout (like the day after or the next day) so that is how I broke it up...

basically I found some workouts that I like that fill those categories and I do like 5-7... then I do 4 sets of 10 reps for each exercise... except on "core" day... I am working on sit ups on the exercise ball and I am doing a sit up program... I am up to 72 sit ups...

I started with a program that I downloaded from jefit... then once I felt comfortable in the gym I started tweaking it to be something that worked for me