I Just Don't Understand Stregth Training!

Options
124»

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    8lb dumbbells is not going to do anything for you

Wrong:) hahah I used them for the first two months of working out, you can SEE a difference and feel a difference:)

It took 2 months for you to progress passed 8 lbs? you were doing something wrong
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    Im sorry I can not restrain myself...
    A good program to start with is 30 Day Shred...

LMAO
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZGu6A_qAr-4VibqGZ6VGa5zTeuaIBt6_q3ztE98arpk9W3xeCGGl_EbtbSg

I do apologize for my insensitivity
  • sammichPG
    Options
    Im sorry I can not restrain myself...
    A good program to start with is 30 Day Shred...

LMAO
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZGu6A_qAr-4VibqGZ6VGa5zTeuaIBt6_q3ztE98arpk9W3xeCGGl_EbtbSg

I do apologize for my insensitivity

This website has an awesome calorie counter but a lot of members seem to be following all the kind of retarded workouts that the fitness industr pushes on them, they're adamant about it and tend to be offended easily
    Sometimes I feel kind of sorry for them... whatever
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    "Toning" "Toned" is a misnomer. What people mean by this is that they lost weight and/or bodyfat enough and the underlying muscle definition is becoming visible. This is fat loss issue not a strength training or muscle building issue.

However more muscle will help you look more "toned". You can be super thin and still not look "toned". People that are this way fall in to the 'skinny fat" category. While they are

8lb dumbbells will do nothing for you in terms of strength training or muscle building unless your elderly or a child. Especially doing deadlifts! Your legs and back carry YOU around all day, I'm sure the rest of you weighs more than 8 lbs!

Don't confuse fatiguing a muscle with strength training. You might feel a burn and get tired slinging around 8 lbs of dumbbells but your just tiring out your muscles not helping them get stronger or bigger.

To build muscle and strength you should be progressively overloading your muscles. Each time tension is put on the muscle the muscle fibers tear. At rest they rebuild on themselves to adapt to that damage and also more fluid is sent to the muscles cells. This is how muscles get bigger. You get stronger by your central nervous system adapting to this new demand on the physical body and sending signals to your muscles telling them how much force they need to contract and how to deal with the load put on them.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Not sure if trolling... Starting strength 5x5 or NROFLW... /thread
  • xoMeaghan
    Options
    From what I've learned is if you can do 2 sets of 12, up the weights the next day until you can only do 8 - 10 of each, then keep at it til you can reach 12 reps again, then up the weights!!!!! =) Only go YOUR limits.
  • xoMeaghan
    Options

Wrong:) hahah I used them for the first two months of working out, you can SEE a difference and feel a difference:)

It took 2 months for you to progress passed 8 lbs? you were doing something wrong

Depending on body type - plus some people can't lift over a certain amount of weights when they first start out with weight lifting. Keep at it =)
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Depending on body type - plus some people can't lift over a certain amount of weights when they first start out with weight lifting. Keep at it =)

Everyone even 60 year olds should be able to deadlift more than 8 pounds
  • xoMeaghan
    Options

Not sure where you learn your information from but everyone has their starting point. I know a few people who are just starting out and start at 5 lb weights or 7.5 lb weights. Not everyone is like you ;)
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Not sure where you learn your information from but everyone has their starting point. I know a few people who are just starting out and start at 5 lb weights or 7.5 lb weights. Not everyone is like you ;)

Are you not reading seriously?!

Its a deadlift! Meaning basically picking something up from the ground

A new born baby weighs like 5 pounds and you are telling me that these people you know can't pick up a small dog or child???
    We aren't talking about about pushing the weight above your head or anything, we are talking about the basic movement of picking it up and putting it down. If your friends honestly can't deadlift 8 pounds they must be in wheel chairs.

10/10 you are the best troll ever. You've won the entire internet, my jimmies are forever rustled.
  • xoMeaghan
    Options
    Well, I guess I did read it wrong. My bad. But anyways, like I stated before 'deadlift' was mentioned. Everyone has their starting points.
  • hymiesmom1
    hymiesmom1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Do a tried and true program

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    NROL4W

When you just pick up some weights and do whatever, that's a condition known as phuck-around-itis, and it will get you nowhere.

Exactly this. I definitely recommend Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

This!!!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I did read it wrong. My bad. But anyways, like I stated before 'deadlift' was mentioned. Everyone has their starting points.

High five for acknowledging that. :drinker:
  • malystrasza
    Options
    10/10 you are the best troll ever. You've won the entire internet, my jimmies are forever rustled.

There's no need to be upset.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

Are you not reading seriously?!

Its a deadlift! Meaning basically picking something up from the ground

A new born baby weighs like 5 pounds and you are telling me that these people you know can't pick up a small dog or child???
    We aren't talking about about pushing the weight above your head or anything, we are talking about the basic movement of picking it up and putting it down. If your friends honestly can't deadlift 8 pounds they must be in wheel chairs.

IKR
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
    Yes, she should just lie on the couch eating bon bons and watching TV.

Don't be silly, no one said anything like this.

No, what's silly is to make rude comments rather than providing productive advice. I get sick of it. That guy just went on iggy.