Metabolism question!

Options
slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
Is there a simple method to work out what my metabolic rate is - or at least a way to estimate it?

I'm pretty fit, although still overweight. I know I need to up various portions of exercise, which I've been doing (changing levels, weights, reps, etc., as well as mixing up my routine so that I'm not doing the same things each time), in order to keep it increasing, but I really want to try to figure out what the rate is.

I also have a question about "resting heart rate." I timed my heartbeat just before I started my last workout and it came to 54 beats per minute. Is that a good resting heart rate or is that average? How do I know what's healthy and what isn't?

Thanks!

Replies

• slieber
    Options
    Is there a simple method to work out what my metabolic rate is - or at least a way to estimate it?

I'm pretty fit, although still overweight. I know I need to up various portions of exercise, which I've been doing (changing levels, weights, reps, etc., as well as mixing up my routine so that I'm not doing the same things each time), in order to keep it increasing, but I really want to try to figure out what the rate is.

I also have a question about "resting heart rate." I timed my heartbeat just before I started my last workout and it came to 54 beats per minute. Is that a good resting heart rate or is that average? How do I know what's healthy and what isn't?

Thanks!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Your metabolic rate is your BMR. MFP has a BMR calculator under 'Tools.' Divide that number, and you get (roughly) what you burn every hour. Mine is 1265, so I burn 53 cals/hr. I had mine tested with an RMR machine, which you may be able to find in a hospital or university or nice fitness club. You wear a face mask and breathe into it for 15 minutes and it measures oxygen consumption.

Your RHR sounds great, the average is about 70 so you have a nice, slow HR. :)
  • slieber
    Options
    A nice slow RHR means I'm a fit person? Is that it? (lives in hope...)

Thanks for the info on the BMR - I'll check it out now. :-)

S.
  • slieber
    Options
    BMR says I burn 1379 per day, but does that take in the fact that I'm trying to increase metabolic rate by exercise?

Is there a simple way to recalculate this taking into account the amount of exercise I do each week? (not regular chores, per se, but the actual stuff I do at the gym and at dance classes)

Thanks!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Increasing your metabolic rate is a slow process slieber. Because it involves building muscle, reducing fat, and training your body to realize your lifestyle has become more active, it can take months or years to significantly increase your metabolic rate, for some, it just doesn't happen at all (those unlucky few who have the really resistant genetic traits).

The best way to check your resting heart rate on your own (other then wearing a heart rate monitor for a whole day) is to check it when you wake up. You can do this by checking your pulse for 10 seconds and multiplying by 6.

take it 3 times over the course of a minute or so. add the 3 and divide by 3. That should give you an accurate reading within 1 or 2 beats of true.