carbs in fruit

should i not worry? i know that your sugar intake shouldn't matter much if its coming from fruit is the carbs portion also the same. i guess you could say fruit would be "good" carbs compared to the carbs u find in a brownie.

please correct me if I am wrong.

thanks!

Replies

• jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Here is my take on it... sugar/carbs for a diabetic is all about controlling your blood sugar. Some people refer to "bad" sugar or carbs as those that tend to quickly increase your blood sugar whereas the "good" carbs tend to have less effect on the large swings in blood sugar. Other people seem to categorize bad and good carbs based on whether it provides "empty calories" so a glass of orange juice gives us empty calories whereas an orange does not; it comes in its natural package including the fiber.
    All carbs are either sugar, starches or fiber. Each day we all need to have carbs, proteins and fats. Eat the proper proportions of each at every meal and you should be good to go. If you choose to blow all of your meal's carbs on a glass of orange juice or a soda vs. more pieces of fruit, that's your choice but they are all carbs in the end.
  • Vx3_
    Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
    Fruits is good carbs. Good carbs are known as complex carbs (oatmeal, vegetables). Worthless carbs would be bread, pasta, noodles, jucies, and so forth.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    The good carb/bad carb argument kind of make me want to slam my head into a wall. Sucrose is sucrose and fructose is fructose. There are also lots of other kinds of sugars. Some are found in fruit in varying amounts. Some aren't. The "good" or "bad" qualities have more to do what what the food, in this case fruit, has to offer overall. Fruits generally contain things that are good for us, micronutrients and fiber etc, while brownies provide...well...energy. if you're going to use the energy in the brownie, then great. If not, then it will get stored as fat. Just like the fruit.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Evan is right...sugar is sugar. Your body stores and processes it pretty much the same.

Fruit has other beneficial nutrients that gummi worms don't, so it's better for you in that way than junk food........but sugar is still sugar.

I try to just keep my sugar down, in general. Eating too much of anything can't be good and that probably includes fruit, too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    The good carb/bad carb argument kind of make me want to slam my head into a wall. Sucrose is sucrose and fructose is fructose. There are also lots of other kinds of sugars. Some are found in fruit in varying amounts. Some aren't. The "good" or "bad" qualities have more to do what what the food, in this case fruit, has to offer overall. Fruits generally contain things that are good for us, micronutrients and fiber etc, while brownies provide...well...energy. if you're going to use the energy in the brownie, then great. If not, then it will get stored as fat. Just like the fruit.

True! Carbs are carbs. Some have more micro-nutrients than others, to be sure, making them a little healthier, but in the end, they are all carbs.

Carbohydrate = energy