Calories Burned

Options
Hey everyone.. What do u guys put in for your exercise if you do an Insanity workout?DVD Workout for 45 mintues equals what?? HELP>

Replies

• MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM (heart rate monitor) and manually imput it into mfp
  • AmberBucsis
    Options
    I use a HRM (heart rate monitor) and manually imput it into mfp

I wish i had one... But i dont :( so i dont know what to input.
  • chamgiggz
    Options
    I wouldn't use anyone else's calories burn because before I got an HRM I use to goo off of MFP and it use to say around 400, but after an HRM I found out I was burning @ least 500...
    but I am on day 9 and i burn an average of 490...per workout and I tried the Max one day and i burned close to 700...
    I'm 5'4.5 and starting weight 233....
  • AmberBucsis
    Options
    I wouldn't use anyone else's calories burn because before I got an HRM I use to goo off of MFP and it use to say around 400, but after an HRM I found out I was burning @ least 500...
    but I am on day 9 and i burn an average of 490...per workout and I tried the Max one day and i burned close to 700...
    I'm 5'4.5 and starting weight 233....

Ah Okay. Im same height. Weight 255. This is my second round. Did great my first round and i dont know what happend. Fell off the wagon big time.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have an HRM, I would suggest entering Insanity workouts as "aerobics, high impact"
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I wish i had one... But i dont :( so i dont know what to input.

Here's a simple test you can do to see what amount of calories you are burning at certain HR.
    Take several 6 sec readings during the next workout or two, see what the avg seems to be.

Now do a treadmill test, before you do any other workout. Perhaps warmup to the class. Need 20 min.
    Set treadmill to 4 mph level and walk for 5 min.
    Increase the incline for the next 5 min until you seem to be at the same HR as during the class. Take pulse or use machines HRM reading for 6 second about every 1 min.
    Then spend 10-15 min at that incline or adjust as needed to maintain that same HR. Take pulse about every 2 or 3 min for 6 sec.
    Notice what your incline was during the last 10 min.

Now use a walking calculator, which has been found in studies to be more accurate than HRM's for calories burned.
    Gross is what MFP or a HRM would report, for purposes of eat back and feeding that workout, use NET.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Now you know that when your HR avg's that amount, that's how many calories you burned in that many minutes. You can break that down to cals / min for easier math later.

Retest about once a month as fitness improves.
    You can also retest at several different HR levels and see the difference. Which isn't much unless the HR really changes.