Protein powder suggestions please..

Options
I really need to up my protein intake. I drink an iced french vanilla coffee from 7-eleven, every morning..I know, you don't have to tell me it's a waste of calories. So I've been doing research, and would like to try a french vanilla protein powder instead. I'm thinking I could blend it up with some coffee, and drink that in the morning instead. It would be less calories, plus I'd be upping my protein. That being said, I have no idea where to start. I need some suggestions. I grew up in the south. I was raised on meat and potatoes, either on the grill or in the fryer. A lot of "healthy" foods I've tried, i don't like. Greek yogurt, brown rice over white rice, etc. I'm a little scared if I buy the wrong kind, and it's horrible, it will turn me off of the whole thing. So any advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance :)

Replies

• nicolemarie1978
    nicolemarie1978 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    We use Syntha-6 - all of them are delicious!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/synth.html
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Cytosport 100% whey protein. I get the big bag at Costco.
    Stay away from soy protein. It does not metabolize as efficiently as whey.
    My wife uses a formulation specifically for women plus a hemp protein powder. she mixes some of the hemp powder with the other stuff. The hemp powder is said to have other beneficial effects as well. But it has to be mixed with other stuff to cover the taste.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Another question. What do you mix your's with? Would I be better off using almond milk as opposed to water? (since I will be adding coffee in the mix.)
  • nicolemarie1978
    nicolemarie1978 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk. It's only 35 cal per serving and I'm lactose intolerant so it works for me :)
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    I use Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk. It's only 35 cal per serving and I'm lactose intolerant so it works for me :)

Awesome!! Thank you!! I'm not lactose intolerant, but I'm not a whole milk fan, and I figured the almond milk would be less calories.
  • TeeDeezy
    TeeDeezy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Now that I've lost most of the weight I want to lose, I've been using GNC Wheybolic Extreme and have had good results. It can be overkill (60 g of protein) and it is a bit expensive, but you can use half-of-a serving and still get plenty of protein. It is great as a recovery drink after workouts, but is also a good meal supplement. I use chocolate and mix it with milk/water. Basically taste like chocolate milk. They do have other flavors though and I'm pretty sure vanilla is one of them.

I also used GNC's Total Lean Shakes while I lost weight and still use them pretty often as meal replacements when I'm not in the mood for breakfast. They make two different kinds, one with only 9 g of protein per serving and one with 25. I used the regular shake for a good 3 months and it worked really, really well. I tried the strawberry and the vanilla bean and they were both good. They are also made to mix with water, but mix well with milk. The total lean shakes are also lactose free, which is a plus.

Every shake I've gotten at GNC mixes really well. But, be sure to get a mixing cup with one of the little metal mixing balls in it. It's really difficult to mix any protein shake consistently otherwise. Also, GNC has a 30 day buyback guarantee, so if you don't get the results you want you can just take back any unused portion and get a full refund.

I'm not pushing GNC, but so far the shakes I've purchased there have worked well and I haven't had any reason to look anywhere else.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options

I use this too, but mix it with water!
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    Now that I've lost most of the weight I want to lose, I've been using GNC Wheybolic Extreme and have had good results. It can be overkill (60 g of protein) and it is a bit expensive, but you can use half-of-a serving and still get plenty of protein. It is great as a recovery drink after workouts, but is also a good meal supplement. I use chocolate and mix it with milk/water. Basically taste like chocolate milk. They do have other flavors though and I'm pretty sure vanilla is one of them.

I also used GNC's Total Lean Shakes while I lost weight and still use them pretty often as meal replacements when I'm not in the mood for breakfast. They make two different kinds, one with only 9 g of protein per serving and one with 25. I used the regular shake for a good 3 months and it worked really, really well. I tried the strawberry and the vanilla bean and they were both good. They are also made to mix with water, but mix well with milk. The total lean shakes are also lactose free, which is a plus.

Every shake I've gotten at GNC mixes really well. But, be sure to get a mixing cup with one of the little metal mixing balls in it. It's really difficult to mix any protein shake consistently otherwise. Also, GNC has a 30 day buyback guarantee, so if you don't get the results you want you can just take back any unused portion and get a full refund.

I'm not pushing GNC, but so far the shakes I've purchased there have worked well and I haven't had any reason to look anywhere else.

Thank you!! I'll have to check them out. That would make it a lot less scary for me, knowing that if I don't like it I haven't flushed the money down the toilet. One more question, can it be made into something like a smoothie if I throw it all into a blender with some ice?
  • PetulantOne
    Options

I use this too, but mix it with water!

I like their flavor selection, cookies n cream, cake better. I'm drooling over here lol
  • TeeDeezy
    TeeDeezy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I'll have to check them out. That would make it a lot less scary for me, knowing that if I don't like it I haven't flushed the money down the toilet. One more question, can it be made into something like a smoothie if I throw it all into a blender with some ice?

Here's a link to the wording on the guarantee: http://www.gnc.com/helpdesk/index.jsp?display=returns&subdisplay=mbg

No problem! Can't say about the smoothie...never tried it. I imagine that if you mixed it with a little water or milk first though and then added the liquid to the blender (rather than putting the powder directly in the blender) it'd work out pretty well. The drinks are made to mix with 8 ounces of water. But, I've used less water and even then it didn't taste really powdery like a lot of shakes do.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    For a treat I sometimes mix Six Star Whey Protein (fairly inexpensive from Walmart) Vanilla Cream with instant coffee, ice and water in a blender . . . I like it :)
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    For a treat I sometimes mix Six Star Whey Protein (fairly inexpensive from Walmart) Vanilla Cream with instant coffee, ice and water in a blender . . . I like it :)

Perfect!! That's exactly what I was aiming for. Thank you!
  • PetulantOne
    Options

Here's a link to the wording on the guarantee: http://www.gnc.com/helpdesk/index.jsp?display=returns&subdisplay=mbg

No problem! Can't say about the smoothie...never tried it. I imagine that if you mixed it with a little water or milk first though and then added the liquid to the blender (rather than putting the powder directly in the blender) it'd work out pretty well. The drinks are made to mix with 8 ounces of water. But, I've used less water and even then it didn't taste really powdery like a lot of shakes do.

Thanks again! That's a great policy they have. I'm surprised they do this. Surprised but glad lol
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm poor, so I usually stick to Body Fortress or sometimes Six Star whey protein. If you had about a half and half mixture of coffee/milk (I am also not a fan of whole milk) and a scoop of protein powder, I bet that would be delicious.

In fact, I might just have to try that.

Once in a while I will also make [protein powder flavor] pudding using a scoop of protein powder and a carton of Greek yogurt (I stick to the plain so that I don't take in the excess sugars they put in the flavored ones).
  • PetulantOne
    Options
    I'm poor, so I usually stick to Body Fortress or sometimes Six Star whey protein. If you had about a half and half mixture of coffee/milk (I am also not a fan of whole milk) and a scoop of protein powder, I bet that would be delicious.

In fact, I might just have to try that.

Once in a while I will also make [protein powder flavor] pudding using a scoop of protein powder and a carton of Greek yogurt (I stick to the plain so that I don't take in the excess sugars they put in the flavored ones).

Thanks! I'm in a similar situation. I try to spend most of the grocery money on stuff my 4 year old will eat too. Protein powder won't be one of them lol