Lean body mass

Options
Can someone explain what lean body mass is? How does it correlate with losing weight?

Thank you!

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Lean body mass is your muscle.

Muscle is good, even for a girl.

You want muscle, but sadly muscle is very hard to earn.

When you are losing weight, what you really want to lose is body fat, losing muscle makes you sad.
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I did it right, but I am a month into my weightless/exercise plan. I took measurements and did an online calculator. I have lost 12 lbs..and it says I gained 9 lbs of lean body mass. Could this be correct?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    LBM is not just muscle, it's your total body mass without fat - bones, muscles, organs etc. However, when your LBM changes, obviously that indicates a change in muscle since once you're a fully grow adult, adding bone or organ mass is impossible (unless there's some medical issue/anomoly involved).

OP, it's impossible that you gained 9 pounds of LBM in a month. I'm not sure those calculators that go by measurement are very accurate. I think the best way to know for sure is to have your body fat measured by a personal trainer with calipers or one of those fancy body fat calculating machines. As a woman, about the most you can gain a month is 1 pound of muscle and that's with a very strict regime of diet and exercise.
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you..I knew that number sounded really off!