Life Fitness Treadmills

Options
Does anyone know if you can opt out of the 30 minute time limit. I was running on a Life Fitness treadmill at the gym today and he started to go into cooldown automatically at 30 minutes, :(

Replies

• haylz247
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can opt out of the 30 minute time limit. I was running on a Life Fitness treadmill at the gym today and he started to go into cooldown automatically at 30 minutes, :(

i'm sure there must be a button to increase/decrease the time. have a look before you start your workout :)
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Does it have a quickstart option. Aren't those usually 60 min?
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Does it have a quickstart option. Aren't those usually 60 min?

Yeah it does, I used the quickstart. Apparently it's only 30. I'm going to take a long hard look at it when I'm at the gym tomorrow because I ran through the cooldown, continually upping the speed everytime it decreased it LOL. I run indoors a few times a week and will run indoors all winter long and since I'm trying to build my distance, it'd be nice if I didn't have to get off and restart haha.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I think it is all in how the gym has it set up. I usually avoing to "quickstart" stuff and enter a program so I can enter my age, weight, time, and level. I have found that by doing this, the calorie estimates are much better too.
  • heytherestephy
    Options
    I think it is all in how the gym has it set up. I usually avoing to "quickstart" stuff and enter a program so I can enter my age, weight, time, and level. I have found that by doing this, the calorie estimates are much better too.

Oh i don't use the calorie/HR estimates on the machine, our machines are polar sync'd so my HR shows up from my polar watch and i use my HRM for calories burned. i'm going to mess about with the treadmill tomorrow during my run, setting a 30 minute limit seems absurd especially since our YMCA sponsors a marathon LOL.
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You may be able to toggle the min down from 30?
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You probably won't be able to change it, the gym sets it. Whether or not they sponsor a marathon, they make sure all members get a chance to use the equipment.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I go to LA Fitness, and all the treadmills and elliptical are set for max at 30 minutes. If someone else knows a way to get around this- please share :)
  • heytherestephy
    Options
    damn, there's like a hundred (exaggeration lol) treadmills in there and no one is ever on them :( i wanna build my distance this winter and since i live in Ontario it's not exactly nice to run outdoors in the winter.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Oh i don't use the calorie/HR estimates on the machine, our machines are polar sync'd so my HR shows up from my polar watch and i use my HRM for calories burned. i'm going to mess about with the treadmill tomorrow during my run, setting a 30 minute limit seems absurd especially since our YMCA sponsors a marathon LOL.

Our YMCA uses the same kind. Next time you go, click the timer icon and it *should* allow you to set your time. I personally click on "change workout" then I do hill intervals. I believe there might be a program for distance under that same tab.
  • heytherestephy
    Options

Our YMCA uses the same kind. Next time you go, click the timer icon and it *should* allow you to set your time. I personally click on "change workout" then I do hill intervals. I believe there might be a program for distance under that same tab.

Oh sweet, I'll give that a try tomorrow :D I would be totally fine with a 60 minute cut off, but it just started cooldown at 30 and I run 3 miles in 33 right now!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My gym has the time limit on treadmills set to 60 mins. I found the one golden nugget treadmill that isn't set up correctly, and this one treadmill I haven't found the max yet, but its more than 90 mins!

Anyway, it shouldn't be a big deal though- when you get close to 30 mins, take note of whichever stats you need- cals, distance, whatever, and restart it. It should only take 10s or less to cancel out of one program and get up and running on the new one. Also a good trick to use when busybodies get huffy about you taking too long on a treadmill (though you should respect the rules of the gym if people are waiting) .

ETA- I saw after I posted that you want 33 mins- in that case I would reset the timer at 15 mins or 2 miles- nobody wants to stop and reset in the last 3 minutes...I hear what you're saying about that.
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    damn, there's like a hundred (exaggeration lol) treadmills in there and no one is ever on them :( i wanna build my distance this winter and since i live in Ontario it's not exactly nice to run outdoors in the winter.

Check with the staff? They usually do orientations for people on the machines - don't they?

And yes - running outside in Ontario in the winter SUCKS!
  • heytherestephy
    Options

Check with the staff? They usually do orientations for people on the machines - don't they?

And yes - running outside in Ontario in the winter SUCKS!

Not at 10 in the morning they don't, the gym is basically deserted at that time except for a bunch of dudes in the weights area and some older ladies on the bikes. I work nights, 6pm-3am so I tend to work out between 8am and 12 noon and since both the college and university in my town have free membership to students, they go there so it literally is just dead.

The YMCA also doesn't offer an "orientation" per se, i guess if you get a personal trainer they probably do but I didn't even get a tour of the facility when I signed up, personal training hours aren't during the day though. Like.. they're around LOL but no one is having sessions.

And LOL yeah it does, I live in Peterborough so not only is it all uphill it's also cold as all hell.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If there's a setting for manual, use that instead of quick start. If they're anything like the ones I use at my gym, you'll enter your weight, time, incline & speed. The limit at my gym is 60 minutes.
  • zmoreno10
    zmoreno10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've run into the exact same thing as the Life Fitness treadmills at Lifetime Fitness are set to 90 minutes. Pretty much what I have resigned to doing is just hitting stop at 90 minutes and then immediately restarting.

On most treadmills that I've encountered at Lifetime, even if you set it for longer via a manual program, it will start slowing down at the max the gym sets.
  • heytherestephy
    Options
    My gym has the time limit on treadmills set to 60 mins. I found the one golden nugget treadmill that isn't set up correctly, and this one treadmill I haven't found the max yet, but its more than 90 mins!

Anyway, it shouldn't be a big deal though- when you get close to 30 mins, take note of whichever stats you need- cals, distance, whatever, and restart it. It should only take 10s or less to cancel out of one program and get up and running on the new one. Also a good trick to use when busybodies get huffy about you taking too long on a treadmill (though you should respect the rules of the gym if people are waiting) .

ETA- I saw after I posted that you want 33 mins- in that case I would reset the timer at 15 mins or 2 miles- nobody wants to stop and reset in the last 3 minutes...I hear what you're saying about that.

yeah, if i can't find a way to override i'll have to do that :( i'm planning on upping my distance so i can run a half marathon next September, and between the heat/humidity in the summer and the downright cold windy weather in the winter, running indoors is really really helpful.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

yeah, if i can't find a way to override i'll have to do that :( i'm planning on upping my distance so i can run a half marathon next September, and between the heat/humidity in the summer and the downright cold windy weather in the winter, running indoors is really really helpful.

I did all my training for one half on a treadmill one winter...it's boring but do-able. Remember to set the elevation to about 1% to mimic outdoor running a little better, and that your long runs are supposed to be slowwwww. It feels really strange (and boring!) to run slowly on a treadmill. My top suggestion is to get a really good unabridged audiobook to listen to on long runs- it's the only thing that got me through 2 hour snail's pace runs.

I realize you didn't ask for advice on indoor marathon training, so just ignore me if you've already got your plan worked out. :flowerforyou:
  • heytherestephy
    Options

I did all my training for one half on a treadmill one winter...it's boring but do-able. Remember to set the elevation to about 1% to mimic outdoor running a little better, and that your long runs are supposed to be slowwwww. It feels really strange (and boring!) to run slowly on a treadmill. My top suggestion is to get a really good unabridged audiobook to listen to on long runs- it's the only thing that got me through 2 hour snail's pace runs.

I realize you didn't ask for advice on indoor marathon training, so just ignore me if you've already got your plan worked out. :flowerforyou:

AWWW how sweet :) I hadn't even thought of how I was going to start training to be quite honest. My plan is to run the Half-Marathon version of the run I did last weekend, which is on a completely flat course aside from a minor hill at the start (which I ran on the 5k).
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Before trying to play with the settings at all, just ask the person at the front desk at the gym first. Whether there's an official orientation or not, any gym employee will answer questions about the different equipment for you.

Because if there is a 30 minute limit on the machines, you won't be able to override it. Even the gym employees might not be able to depending on how they are programmed. At my gym they machines are all set to stop at 60 minutes. At some locations they have a few of a different model, and the employees can override the time limit on those, but not on the main ones that fill the cardio section.

I sorta like it though (the time limit) because it forced me to run outside for my long runs, which I probably would have resisted a bit more if I knew the gym was a possibility. And it also makes me step up my game on my six mile runs that I do happen to do at the gym since they were evening runs when the trail was closed to make sure that I keep up my pace and try to race against that hour shut down limit.