Wool Coat Questions

Options
Phoenix_Rising
Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
I have a beautiful bright green wool coat. I just recently realized it's not waterproof. I was in light rain, which left behind water spots and questions....

1. It says "Dry Clean Only" (80% wool, 20% rayon). How much, roughly, does it cost to have a coat dry cleaned at regular price? (Yes, it will vary region to region, but I'm looking for a range.)

2. Anyone ever used Dryel on a dry clean only wool coat? Results?

3. Any way to waterproof/ weatherproof a wool coat?

4. Can I use Febreeze on my wool coat, or will it leave horrible spots/ damage the wool?

Any other advice or tips would be appreciated. I love this pea coat and want to keep it forevah!! :heart:
Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I know here is Texas it can cost anywhere from $20.00 to $40.00 for a coat, especially wool. I honestly just hand wash it in cold then lay flat to dry. Have never had a problem cleaning the coat that way. I do not know of a way to waterproof a coat but may be someone else has an idea on that.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I know here is Texas it can cost anywhere from $20.00 to $40.00 for a coat, especially wool. I honestly just hand wash it in cold then lay flat to dry. Have never had a problem cleaning the coat that way. I do not know of a way to waterproof a coat but may be someone else has an idea on that.

When you wash your coat, does it essentially put a waterspot over the entire fabric? I know that is phrased oddly.... I guess what I'm trying to ask is, since rain leaves darker spots on my jacket, would washing it just leave the entire coat a slightly darker color (it's not severely darker)?

Thanks for the range. I may have to wait until summer coat cleaning specials! (Which will probably exclude wool coats... :grumble:)
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I did not notice any water spots or a darkening of the color. It appeared to stay pretty much the same. If there was a difference, it was VERY minor. My coat is a medium teal color.... I had always heard that wool shrinks or can be easily damaged when washed. So I did take extra care in washing it gently, it was completely submerged in water and I used normal laundry detergent and no problems.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I have also washed a wool coat. It was horribly dirty (I hadn't worn it in 4 years and it had been storage) and I just put it in the washing machine on a gentle cycle. I hung it to dry on a hanger. It did shrink a tiny bit (but, hey, so have I. :wink:). I'm actually really glad it shrank because although it's tight now, that just means I'll be able to wear it all winter as I lose more weight without it looking awful on me like my bigger wool coat looks now. I have 2 wool coats and haven't had issues with water spots on either.

As far as waterproofing it or at least making it more water repellant, would scotchguard work?
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about washing but could you spray camp dry on it to help make it waterproof? My dh sprays that on everything. LOL
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Thanks for those suggestions. I'd thought about Scotchguard and Kiwi Camp Dry but worried they'd leave spots.

Normally, I'd just wash an item like this and hope for the best, but it's such a unique shade of green, I know I'd have a difficult time replacing it, and I just love it!

BTW, this is my jacket:
    737301763_160.jpg
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I have also washed a wool coat. It was horribly dirty (I hadn't worn it in 4 years and it had been storage) and I just put it in the washing machine on a gentle cycle. I hung it to dry on a hanger. It did shrink a tiny bit (but, hey, so have I. :wink:). I'm actually really glad it shrank because although it's tight now, that just means I'll be able to wear it all winter as I lose more weight without it looking awful on me like my bigger wool coat looks now. I have 2 wool coats and haven't had issues with water spots on either.

I'd like this one to be slightly tighter too. Maybe I'll take a risk and wash it......
  • LittleSpy
    Options

I'd like this one to be slightly tighter too. Maybe I'll take a risk and wash it......

I think the key to not shrinking it too much is to wash it on cold/cold and air dry it. I'm pretty sure if you put it in a dryer, it would shrink like crazy.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those suggestions. I'd thought about Scotchguard and Kiwi Camp Dry but worried they'd leave spots.

Normally, I'd just wash an item like this and hope for the best, but it's such a unique shade of green, I know I'd have a difficult time replacing it, and I just love it!

BTW, this is my jacket:
    737301763_160.jpg

My coat looks just like this (including the color), but it has a hood!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

BTW, this is my jacket:
    737301763_160.jpg

My coat looks just like this (including the color), but it has a hood!

My, my Satellite -- we are pretty stylish!! :wink:

Have you ever washed or dry cleaned yours? Does it have water spotting from the rain?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

I think the key to not shrinking it too much is to wash it on cold/cold and air dry it. I'm pretty sure if you put it in a dryer, it would shrink like crazy.

Gotcha. No dryer. Air dry.
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    It's not the same coat, but my wool coat (the one that's too big but I wore today anyway) is that exact same color! :smile: And here we all were thinking we're so different for having a green coat. :wink: My vehicle is the same color. :embarassed: Strangers just have to make comments CONSTANTLY about my coat matching my car. Yes, green's my favorite color, but it's a freakin' coincidence. Yeesh. I bought the ONLY used manual transmission Honda Element in SC a couple years ago. The *only* one, and it was green - so be it! No one makes fun of people who wear black coats and drive black cars. Or red coats in red cars. Stupid people. :grumble:

:laugh: