How to get more protetin as an almost vegetarian?

Options
I've noticed recently that I'm really low on protein almost every day. I've been feeling really tired recently and have been wondering if eating more protein might help my energy levels.

Thing is, I'm not quite a vegetarian but a lot of the time I might as well be. My boyfriend is a veggie and although we don't live together, we eat together a lot. Aside from that, I just don't really like meat. It's not an ethical thing - I just don't enjoy it much. So 4-5 days a week I have no meat at all.

My question is, how can I get more protein without having to stock up on meat? Is it possible to reach 70g of protein a day (which is what MFP currently recommends for me) without it?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. if it helps I don't like fish much either, except shellfish which I love!!

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Beans. Also try some protein supplements like the whey protein powders. Eggs and egg whites are great, too. I'm high protein and only get about 50% of my daily protein from meat sources. Feel free to check out my diary, it's open.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    My favourite protein snack is hard-boiled eggs. I know that technically eggs are part of the 'meat' group, though. I occasionally have hemp-protein shakes. Beans are also great for protein.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am low on protein every day also, and since I went vegan pretty recently (about 7 months ago), I was concerned about it at first. But I did a lot of research, and every where else that I looked, it set my protein need a LOT lower than what MFP does. So before you decide you need more, you might do a little checking also.

However, if you need more, then here are some good sources: tofu, beans, lentils, almond milk, soy milk, hemp milk, etc.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and usually range between 70-110 grams of protein a day! My diary for the last week is a mess but if you go further than that you can see what I eat!! My diary is open :) I'm big on greek yogurt, tofu, cottage cheese, beans, nuts and even protein powder! :)
  • Nikkiray32
    Options
    I've become a vegatarian literally this Sunday. I eat fish ( twice a week) and dairy ( mostly soy). I set my food tabs to show my protiens for the day. I have no problem hitting mine. I eat peanut butter everyday on a bagel or peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, or peanut butter on crackers. I eat assorted fruits, and carbs. I love beans and mix them in with rice and sometimes eat them plane.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thans so much for all the responses so far and the open diaries - really helpful!!
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options
    I have been a lacto ovo vegetarian for 15 years. During that time I have also been vegan and raw vegan.
    I go through phases but generally I eat a lot of beans. I add them to everything! I make pastas, chilis, soups, curries,salads- you can pretty much add them to anything. I used to not eat a lot of eggs, but recently I have been eating poached eggs pretty much every morning. Greek yogurt is pretty delicious too.
    When I was a raw vegan I ate plenty of nuts and seeds.
    Also, listen to your body. I used to HATE peanut butter. When I became a vegan, I began to have crazy cravings for peanut butter. I would eat it straight out of the jar. Turns out there was not enough protein in my diet.
    If you have any questions feel free to add me :)
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat as you as I'm now striving to get the majority of my daily protein needs met from vegetable sources rather than animal sources. I've found consuming a wide variety of dark green vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains to help me the most in getting all the essential amino acids in order to retain muscles. Key emphasis on VARIETY ;-) I consume a lot of lentils, kale, spinach and quinoa on a weekly basis and rotate in a variety of beans and nuts along with occasionally mixing in tempeh and seitan as a meat substitute.

I found the following chart to be very useful in determining what vegetable items to stock up on:
    http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/plant-food-protein-chart.pdf
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Edamame, greek yogurt, beans, eggs, hummus, protein powder shakes, nut butters.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Eggs! If you are not against eating legumes, I would increase your intake of beans. However, please be careful with increasing soy.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Seitan packs the biggest protein punch as far as vegan sources of protein go.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/294810-the-nutritional-value-of-seitan/

It is also insanely easy to make yourself.
  • ccunningham0520
    Options
    i'm probably only echoing everybody who posted earlier but they are right when they say beans. i always hit my protein target every day with a good amount of beans in my diet. i would say any beans, chickpeas which i love, lentils are excellent, chobani greek yogurt is really good for a high source of protein. i think it has about 14g per yogurt if im not mistaken. i also eat fish so im not a full fledge veggie, probably about twice a week i will make a tuna salad and eat that. or a grouper fillet for dinner. i dont eat eggs but if u do they are also a good source.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Eggs! If you are not against eating legumes, I would increase your intake of beans. However, please be careful with increasing soy.

I agree 100% with the above. I'm a vegetarian eating ZERO animal flesh of any kind and I do not eat any soy.
    I eat a lot of greek yogurt, protein supplements from Vega, pumpkin seeds, almonds, legumes, etc.
    there are tons of vegetarian options out there.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There are protein bars and protein powder. Also, peanut butter, yogurt, fruits and nuts.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds, beans, peanut butter, almonds, tofu. Lots of choices.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    try a good protein powder it is loaded with good protein. you can put it in your favorite drink, shake it up and viola, protein. i use body fortress vanilla cream and put one scoop in the blender with a small banana, some mixed frozen fruit a little milk and maybe a pack of truvia and blend. so, so delicious and like 25g of protein.
  • sskirsty
    Options
    Have you considered adding quinoa to your diet?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats green mung beans - most brands give 30-33g of protein per 1/2 cup uncooked. It's also dirt cheap at under $2 for 4 servings usually at Asian groceries. Toss in seitan, eggs, greek yogurt and nuts such as almonds, macedamia or hazelnuts and you can easily surpass 100g of protein daily.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I get 100+ grams of protein everyday and I'm vegan. I eat beans, lentils, soymilk, protein bars/shakes, quinoa, high protein pita bread, peanut butter, it all adds up very quickly.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I eat poultry and occasionally fish (allergic to shellfish), so I understand what you mean about being an almost vegetarian. I have never been a big meat eater, I get most of my protein from eggs, cheese (love love love cheese) greek yogurt and whey. I know many people suggested bean, but they also high in carbs, the fiber cancels a lot of that out, but the flatulence isn't worth it to me.