peeling hardboiled eggs

Options
We buy fresh eggs from the farm and as anyone who uses them knows they are practically impossible to peel when hard boiled! I bought store eggs just to hard boil but am just soooo disappointed in the taste. Does anyone know of any tricks to make fresh eggs easier to peel?

Replies

• WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    Once you drain them, cover them with cold water and peel them underwater before they have a chance to cool. I think that works.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    Once you drain them, cover them with cold water and peel them underwater before they have a chance to cool. I think that works.

This does make it a lot easier
  • Mom2HannahEvan
    Mom2HannahEvan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The fresher the eggs, the harder to peel, so you can wait a week or 2 and then boil them. I've also heard a splash of vinegar in the water when cooking them will help, but I've never tried it.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I also run cold water over mine after boiling and have no trouble but read where someone else said to put baking soda in the water when boiling them. Also if you are boiling them too long it will make it more difficult to peel
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I poke small holes in mine before boiling with a pin, Add to boiling water, boil for 20 minutes uncovered. Then i put the pan in the sink and pour lots of ice over them and let them cool off. I do buy store bought eggs, but since I've been doing it this way, they are so easy to peel every time.
  • HeidiSnow
    HeidiSnow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We use an egg cooker. I have never had a hard-to-peal egg and I've had 3 different cookers, fresh eggs, old eggs, new eggs, etc. That thing is genius. I'm sure it has something to do with water getting into the hole you make in the shell, but whatever it is, it's genius!
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    I peel them under the running water from the tap. All it takes is a little water to get under that first shell that you peel away... then it will come off very easily.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Cook as usual, but when it's time to crack, immerse in water with ice cubes. The cold stops the cooking process. Shake the eggs around, which cracks the shells.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I also let the eggs sit in the fridge for a week or so before hard-cooking them. I put them in the pan, cover with an inch of water, bring just to a boil, then remove from heat, cover and let stand for 12 minutes (for large eggs) and immediately transfer them to ice water.

Then I crack and roll them on the countertop so the shell is cracked all over. Start at the big end at the air bubble, and try to slide your finger underneath the "skin" that holds the shell together. Usually can get the whole shell off in one piece that way.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Roll the egg instead of cracking it...
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Also, to test if the egg is done, spin it on the counter. If it spins, it's done. If it wobbles, there's runny yolk.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I used to have chickens that laid eggs daily. Those eggs are impossible to peel. Use the fresh eggs for omlettes and such and the store bought eggs for boiling. I don't think there is any way around it, unless you like torturing yourself
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I steam mine, never had a peeling problem since. Doesn't matter how fresh they are. Steamer takes 15-20 minutes, dunk in cold water, done. :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Use a teaspoon to help when you peel them - just crack the egg all over and take off a little bit of the shell to get started. Then slide a teaspoon around under the shell and it usually comes away much more neatly than if you do it with your fingers.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I also let the eggs sit in the fridge for a week or so before hard-cooking them. I put them in the pan, cover with an inch of water, bring just to a boil, then remove from heat, cover and let stand for 12 minutes (for large eggs) and immediately transfer them to ice water.

Then I crack and roll them on the countertop so the shell is cracked all over. Start at the big end at the air bubble, and try to slide your finger underneath the "skin" that holds the shell together. Usually can get the whole shell off in one piece that way.

This..exactly. cooking pro here, and this is precisely what I do.
  • Danika6676
    Danika6676 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ok....I cooked in many restaurants and hotels over the years....best trick to peeling eggs is this:
    1. put eggs in pot with water and BAKING SODA(about a tablespoon)
    2. boil for 4 minutes
    3. remove from heat and let sit for 20 minutes
    4. Run under cold water
    5. peel or refrigerate
    Works everytime!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

yep that's how I do it and they slide right off
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I work in a kitchen and we add a little salt to the water when we boil eggs, then put them in ice water for a few minutes and peel them wet after rolling them on the counter. The sodium doesnt get thru the shell.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My daughter told me to steam them for 15 minutes. Put in cold water. The shells come right off. Very impressed!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Unless you need the peeled eggs whole for making devilled eggs, or to slice for garnish, just give them a good crack with a knife in the middle, stick the knife through to divide the egg in half (like taking the top off to put in an egg cup) and use a spoon to take the egg out of the shell. It usually comes out cleanly, is fast and makes a lot less mess than trying to peel them.