Red Velvet Cake Recipe

Options
Mina133842
Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
This is my Grandmother's recipe - I plan on making this cake for Christmas- it's so festive (red). I have no nutritional information on it, (sorry) but I thought I'd post it in case anyone else wanted a great dessert for Christmas. I know, it's festive, but not altered to make it healthier. I still make this one without altering anything on it, as it's something my Grandma made, and can't bear to change this one. ;)

Red Velvet Cake

Step 1. 1/4c or 2oz red food coloring; & 2TBS cocoa : mix into a paste
Step 2. 1/2c shortening; 1 1/2c sugar, 2 whole eggs: cream together
Step 3. add 1 & 2 and mix.

Sift 2 1/4 cups cake flour and 1 tsp salt. Add alternately to mixture with 1 cup buttermilk and 1 tsp vanilla.

4. Hold 1 TBS vinegar over batter. Add 1 tsp baking soda, allowing it to foam into batter. Fold gently.

Bake in 2 9' or 3 8" pans at 350 (F) for 25 to 30 minutes. Split layers if 9" pans are used.

Frost

Red Velvet Cake Frosting:

3 TBS flour
1 c milk

cook until think, stirring constantly. Cool

Cream: 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla.

Cream until fluffy, then mix both together until thick like whipped cream, then frost cake.

* you can use 1/2 butter & 1/2 margarine, but you can't use all margarine for frosting.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    shortening - 520 calories, 14.2 g saturated fat (ouch!), 53 grams total fat
    sugar - 1160 calories, 300 g carbohydrates (wow!)
    white flour - 1025 calories, 210 g carbohydrates
    coco - (I'll assume unsweetened), 142 calories, 14 g total fat, about 8 carbs
    eggs (2) - 130 cals, 9 g fat (not bad!)
    buttermilk (2%)- 137 cals, 5 g fat

so lets assume 10 servings (a little small, I know but hey, lets be nice!)

311 calories, 8.1 g total fat, about 55 g carbs per serving

Not the WORST thing in the world, but remember, this is without frosting! Frosting can add anywhere from 50 to 200 calories per piece (not to mention the fat and carbs). I didn't add up the frosting on here, but if it's like most other frostings its about 100 calories for 2 tblspoons so...

One other thing to remember is that this is basically ALL empty calories as is. If you could find a way to replace the shortening and sugar, you'd be doing yourself a HUGE favor. Maybe 1/2 the sugar replaced with the equivalent in Stevia, and about 1/3 the flour replaced with whole wheat flour, that would be a far better option, still not great, but not nearly as bad.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    shortening - 520 calories, 14.2 g saturated fat (ouch!), 53 grams total fat
    sugar - 1160 calories, 300 g carbohydrates (wow!)
    white flour - 1025 calories, 210 g carbohydrates
    coco - (I'll assume unsweetened), 142 calories, 14 g total fat, about 8 carbs
    eggs (2) - 130 cals, 9 g fat (not bad!)
    buttermilk (2%)- 137 cals, 5 g fat

so lets assume 10 servings (a little small, I know but hey, lets be nice!)

311 calories, 8.1 g total fat, about 55 g carbs per serving

Not the WORST thing in the world, but remember, this is without frosting! Frosting can add anywhere from 50 to 200 calories per piece (not to mention the fat and carbs). I didn't add up the frosting on here, but if it's like most other frostings its about 100 calories for 2 tblspoons so...

One other thing to remember is that this is basically ALL empty calories as is. If you could find a way to replace the shortening and sugar, you'd be doing yourself a HUGE favor. Maybe 1/2 the sugar replaced with the equivalent in Stevia, and about 1/3 the flour replaced with whole wheat flour, that would be a far better option, still not great, but not nearly as bad.

Wow, that's impressive!
  • Mina133842
    Options
    I've just never messed with it. I usually only make this cake once a year (as it's my favorite- and I wouldn't stop at one piece but with all the company, that's all you get!). It's my ONE splurge on Christmas day, so as I said, I don't usually alter the recipe. I should try and see how it tastes though with alterations.... maybe next year..
  • tigger2009
    Options
    I say once a year is not going to break the bank. Moderation is the key. Sounds like a great recipe! I would not make it unless it was for a special occasion like this so everyone else gobbles it up! Enjoy!
  • LivinTheLife
    Options
    mmm I love Red Velvet Cake, thanks for sharing. It would be great to make as a gift or pot luck type Holiday party
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    Girrrrrl, that sounds delish! I say enjoy Grandmas's recipe :)
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you a way to add some valuable nutrients -- that frosting *seriously* needs some cream cheese! :tongue: I love red velvet cake (though I normally make "brown velvet" cake because I don't like adding the food coloring :laugh: -- brown velvet's less festive, though.) but I couldn't even imagine it without cream cheese frosting.
  • Mina133842
    Options
    I actually like it better without the cream cheese frosting. My aunt makes it with the cream cheese, and I prefer this one.. but to each his/her own. ;)