What do you feel your fridge with?

Options
I'm going shopping on Thursday for groceries and it seems like I waste a lot of money on things I never really eat. I buy fruits and veggies but I buy too much and it goes bad before I can get to it. I don't have a sweet tooth I have sweet teeth, I'm constantly craving sweets, mostly chocolate, and I usually over indulge. I'm also a stress eater, my job and home life stress me out constantly.

What do you buy that's healthy AND satisfying to those cravings you get?

What's a must have that you should always be in stock with without wasting money and it going bad?

And I meant fill not feel.... feeling would be awkward...

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Can't help much with the sweet tooth, other than to say that if you go cold turkey, you may shock yourself. That's what I did 28 years ago and I completely lost my taste for the super-sweet stuff.

Re: the veggies and fruits, only buy enough to use in a about 3 days if buying fresh.

Things that are always in my fridge:

-Greek Yogurt
    -Spring Mix (salad)
    -Baby Carrots
    -No salt added cottage cheese
    -Pesto
    -Salad Dressing (can double as a marinade or even be spread on bread for a sandwich flavoring)
    -Eggs
    -Milk
    -Shredded cheddar, gorgonzola crumbles
    -Lean ground turkey or lean ground beef
    -Hummus
    -Lime juice
    -Olive Oil Mayo
    -I don't tend to eat fruit by itself, so I mainly purchase it frozen.
    -Natural Almond butter

I buy other things based on what I plan to cook.
  • MissShancey
    Options
    my feet
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    And I meant fill not feel.... feeling would be awkward...

lol this is what I was thinking.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I FILL my fridge with.... well not much, at the moment there's skim milk, carrot (just one) cauliflower and some light cheese and my bfs choc covered bikkies I've stayed away from =) and some eggs. and a poweraide zero
  • funkkygirl
    Options
    My mom gets a lot of Fruit, Vegetables, bread, whole milk, my almond milk, cold cuts, cheese and that's it. All of the bad stuff are in the Snack Cabinet! :-(
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I buy red and green grapes and as soon as I get home I wash them, take them off the stems and FREEZE them in a ziplock baggie. A really sweet nice textured substitute for ice cream MOST of the time. I also buy fresh cherries and wash them immediately. Strawberries and raspberries you HAVE to eat the day you buy them or they go bad. Blueberries have a longer shelf life. LOTS of apples and I have LOTS of homemade applesauce a friend makes for me with no sugar. Keep all he gives me each fall in the freezer. That super cold also satisfies a sweet (ice cream) craving. I eat lots of plain Dannon yogurt with fresh fruit. Bananas too. Peaches if I can get them to ripen without spoiling. I cut up all veggies on bringing them home or they go bad before I get to them. As the above person said, you should plan to purchase produce twice a week. Frozen berries and fruit, sugar free, are nice substitutes for winter time. I mix them into my yogurt still frozen- makes an ice cream type texture. (Have you figured out that my binge food is usually ice cream!?!)

I also really love the Gorton's fish products. I am gluten intolerant so many things others eat I cannot, but these are gluten free.

I also keep low fat cheese on hand. Feta and mozzarella. Since I cannot eat a lot of baked goods or pasta, I actually have trouble eating ENOUGH calories if I don't binge on a sweet.

I keep bottles of salsa in the fridge. Eat it plain, in a bowl, with a spoon. Yum!

My problem isn't day to day eating, it is the binges when I can eat one or two half gallons of ice cream in one sitting. Or bags of chocolate. And in general, I live a fairly active lifestyle for a woman my age. But, I binge. For many years I was bulemic and purged. That is NOT the answer. Healthier to be fat than to purge.