Protein Drink - should I?

Options
I have a general question about consuming protein drinks. There are some days when I don't get enough protein in my daily intake. I know that alot of body builders and weight lifters drink protein drinks but if I am not one of these would it be beneficial for me to drink protein drinks or would I be sabotaging my weight loss if I do this? Just curious before I purchase any because I don't want to waste my money on these if it wont do me any good. Thanks.

:drinker:

Replies

• kylin04
    Options
    bump!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for you and protein shakes are YUMMY! They have actually HELPED my weight loss!!
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    if you can't make it with normal diet, then yes it's a great way to supplement
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If you stay within your calorie goal, you definitely won't hinder your weight loss. In fact, you'll be more likely to retain lean body mass and lose primarily fat if you eat adequate protein and combine that with strength training.
  • jleach
    jleach Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have one every day to ensure I get enough protein. I know you can get enough protein without them but I find it easier not to have to think about the counts of everything I eat. The protein powder I use is 160 calories per scoop. I think it's a fair trade for 33 grams of protein. What else you put in it can add alot of calories if you don't count so be careful.
  • MsBeautifullOne
    MsBeautifullOne Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Medically protein helps you rebuild your muscles. If your working out yes its a very good idea to have that added to your diet.

If your not working out and still not getting enough protein in your diet you could possibly find drinks with 12 g of protein or somewhere around that amount.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'm not a body builder and I drink one with some pb2 chocolate after my morning workout. Definitely helps with my protein goal.
  • jehuster
    Options
    Medically protein helps you rebuild your muscles. If your working out yes its a very good idea to have that added to your diet.

If your not working out and still not getting enough protein in your diet you could possibly find drinks with 12 g of protein or somewhere around that amount.

Yes I do work out 5-6 days a week its just not weight lifting type workout (not into that) I do low impact circuit training and walking.
  • jehuster
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses...I will try some and see how it works. :smile:
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I used to consume it daily after resistance training. Only take it occasionally now just to get rid of what's left in the Optimum Nutrition tub. Reasons: (1) I eat better now, (2) they're a big waste of money if I follow #1, and (3) potential health risks.
    http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/hurtful-food-how-safe-are-protein-drinks-and-powders.html

Anyways, I'm finding I can get sufficient protein along with tons of nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants while being under my calorie limits by consuming more vegetables and grains (lentil, beans, kale, spinach, quinoa, etc.) on a daily basis.
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    YES I HAVE TWO A DAY!!! for my cutting phase lol

Protein shakes post workout can actuall help sustain your metabolic rate for fat loss and is great for recovery. Check out this page to its benefits specific for you is point number 2.

http://www.wheyprotein.com/recentstudies.html

hope this helps.