Beautiful Blues, week of Christmas 2009

Options

Replies

• Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Debnu1 - I am totally with you. I am jumping back into gear as of today. I am logging my food, working out, planning meals in advance. I spent to much time away from MFP. My body is yearning for the healthier life style. So today starts my re-dedication to myself.

Have a good week blues!!
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Hi Beautiful blues,

Debnu and Taradise- I'm with you guys on the enthusiasm. I plan on continuing to motivate myself to keep going and to find new ways to push myself towards my goals. I absolutely know that I can do this. Just to let you all know, I'm going to be starting to look for a job in January. I'm currently on unemployment, but that is not a sure thing so I need to get back on the job market. I'll be working on my portfolio on a binder and also online. I'm totally trying to give myself all the support I need, since Job hunting is so difficult especially in this economy. I'm keeping my Faith in God and letting him decide my fate. I'm thinking positive thoughts though.

Here's to a new year everyone, and to achieving everything we want!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Good luck searching for a job almomay! You can do it! I am starting fresh--preplanning meals, exercise, that I can do for the next two weeks and then I am going to start training for a 5 or 10k, I don't know what I will be up to. I know I can do this, it is just keeping my head in the game!

I also need to get all the junk out of my house, what was I thinking letting it take residence?

I started a board asking for the secrets to everyone's success, if you are interested you can take a look. I found it very interesting and motivating!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/73770-what-is-the-secret-to-your-success
  • Taradise
    Options
    Great thread debnu1... I am enjoying reading the feedback.

almomay - good luck with the job search. If you need us to proofread anything or offer some ideas... feel free to ask.

Went to the gym yesterday and today... logged all my food - feeling great about getting myself back in gear. OHHH! and I got a heart rate monitor for Christmas... so I've been having fun playing with it and learning how my body burns calories via exercise.
  • debnu1
    Options
    I love my HRM, it is really nice to know what works and doesn't work exercise wise. I have really enjoyed the thread too. I feel so much more motivated when I read about what works for other people. It gives me good ideas to try and that really keeps me in the groove. I am on my way to being better. I keep starting out the day and then give into temptation. I am trying out the BL golden flaxjacks this morning. They look good so if they are I may share the recipe.

I keep hitting the my topics button instead of post reply, it is getting annoying!! :explode: Have a great day everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • MayLan
    Options
    Good morning Beautiful blues,

Debnu and Taradise- Thanks for the motivation!

I'm also feeling really excited about continuing on the weight loss. I dont' have a HRM but I think it would be great to have because it's better than trying to guess the amount of calories burned. I just estimate and because of this I don't usually eat my exercise calories since I'm not too sure on the calories amount. Alot of people in MFP talk about how the calories burned listed on an exercise machine might not be accurate and also, everyone burns different amounts.

I'm so pumped to continue on this weight loss journey, I almost feel like I can't let anything block me from losing weight. One thing that is a common road blocker for me is when reaching the middle of a goal and then feeling like I don't want to continue. So what I'm doing for myself at this moment is a little drastic, but I'm basically keeping all sweets out of my house and all cakes/cookies...etc. The thing is that I can't really contain myself around these and tend to overindulge. After I lose the weight I'll definitely have them, but right now I see that like being road blockers.

I've been playing alot with my food and I'm noticing what the right balance of calories and carbs are good for me in order to lose weight. I give myself saturdays as my day off....but even on that day I'm still off sweets.

I don't know if anyone here is doing this, but I'm trying this new elimination diet not necessarily to lose weight but I'm trying it to see if I see healthy changes in my moods, skin, and body to: eliminate bloating, constipation, etc. I'm trying to not have gluten, dairy, oats, and corn...and also the sweets. It seems drastic but I have felt somewhat depressed at times, so I'm trying to see what makes my body feel better.

Is anyone doing this?

I have experience doing diets like these because a while back I was going through lots of anxiety and did some research on sugar and I eliminated sugar and "white starches" from my diet for 2 whole years, and my anxiety cleared.

Anyhow, that was alot of information (TMI).

Hope you all have a good week!
  • MayLan
    Options
    Debnu- Thanks for the link to that new thread, I'll definitely check it out!
  • Taradise
    Options
    I just estimate and because of this I don't usually eat my exercise calories since I'm not too sure on the calories amount.

I did this too. And I think I may have been accidentally starving myself sometimes. I would underestimate cals then only eat half of the exercise cals because I was unsure. I don't want to get into a habit of not eating the fuel my body needs, so I'm going to use the HRM to keep me in check. I'll also learn what exercises work best for me.

alomomay - I have not ever tried a diet that eliminated gluten, dairy, oats, etc. So you'll have to let me know how you are feeling after a week or so. I'm not sure I could live without dairy and wheat products! Wow, I'm impressed - no sweets. I haven't mastered that one either. I try to control them though :laugh:
  • debnu1
    Options
    All I know about elimination diets is that if I feel deprived I don't do very well. I admire your willpower. I have family members who are gluten intolerant (celiacs disease) and I find that hard enough to deal with let alone pulling out other food items too. Good luck!! I do believe that we are what we eat, it makes a big difference. I wonder if cutting back on my daughter's intake of sweets would help her anxiety...

I just planned out my day for tomorrow. It is the beginning of a new week! This is possible!

Happy weigh in tomorrow!
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    morning all

woke up yesterday with a cold and feel like crud again today. The Dayquil is making me feel weird like my brain and body are not connected. I did not get any running in this weekend because it was just too cold. The scale moved just a little for me but I am glad it moved at all
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all! I am back home after my Christmas trip. Had a great time, and decided not to worry about food, so it's back to logging today. However, my fun is not over. We have Christmas at New Year's with part of the family, so all 6 of my girls (3 daughters and 3 nieces who are almost daughters) will be here with their families from about Wednesday to Sunday. Lots of cooking to do. I have got 6 of them signed up on MFP this year, so it will be easier for me to offer some healthier choices. I am planning on printing a nutritional guide to go with the menus. :happy:

I think that I am going to buy the Wii this afternoon.

Wanted to share the poem that I kept posted by the kitchen sink the entire time that my girls were growing up, so they had to look at it while they washed dishes:
    "Thank God for dirty dishes, they have a tale to tell. While others may go hungry, we're doing very well. With home and health and happiness, I shouldn't want to fuss. By this stack of evidence, God's been very good to us!"
    All three of them can still recite it.

Happy Monday! And - here's to smart choices!
  • MayLan
    Options
    msh0530- That was a very cute poem about doing the dishes. It's also about looking at this chore in a positive light. I bet the wii will be very fun to use! Let us know how you like it. I also tried to have my youngest teenage sister sign up to MFP, but she hasn't yet. It would be fun to connect with family in here.

Debnu and Taradise- I'll let you know how the elimination diet goes. I've always felt that my body is very sensitive. Besides the anxiety clearing up, I feel my acne is gone and I'll look out for other things.

I got up this morning and went to the gym. The weather in NYC was around 43 F, so it's not very cold. I read somewhere in MFP that the best thing in terms of being consistent with exercise is to just put one foot in front of the other, and the rest will take care of itself. For me, the hardest thing is deciding to go to the gym. Once I'm in the gym, my body knows what to do and I have a great work out.

Wishing you all a good week!
  • debnu1
    Options
    I didn't do so well on the weigh in today. I think my weeks of bad eating and no exercise have caught up to me. I hope that I don't negate all the hard work all of you have done for the challenge. :ohwell: I am starting fresh this week so I know that will make a difference. I am tired of not being able to exercise. I did the upper body pyramid this morning, It feels good to do something, but I worry about doing too much. Only two more weeks--hopefully, I wish I would just heal faster!

Msh0530, I hope you enjoy the wii, everyone I know that has one sure does.

Almomay have fun exercising, I am a little bit jealous that you can go and do what you want to. Take advantage of it!

:flowerforyou:
  • MayLan
    Options
    debnu1- This too Shall Pass. I think it was "Tamtastic" that mentioned in one of her post that time goes by anyways, so it's just a matter of time when the weight starts to decrease. Also, Time flies, and it will be in no time that you will be able to work out like before. Take care of yourself during this time and be kind to your body. I'm wishing for good things for you!
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I have the worst case of the munchies today because I don't feel good. When I don't feel good all I want to do is munch on things all day
  • debnu1
    Options
    Thanks Almomay--I need to remind myself to take it easy. You are right time is going to go by anyway, so I might as well take advantage of what I have. I was working on my daughter's scrapbook this morning, I can't believe she is 7 years old now, I am still working on her first year. I know I am a slacker, but it is a lot of fun to look back at how everything was.

Smadag1, I get the munchies when I don't feel good too. I always drink a lot of water and then try to find something that I don't eat while doing. Typing on the computer, writing in my journal, taking a shower, going on a walk. Find what works for you and you may just forget that you wanted to eat. :smile:

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I was posting to the wrong area he he. So I went on the treadmill today for 20mins. WOW that was a workout. It went up to 4mph and I had to slow it down however I burned 561 calories and I'm so excited about that. I had the flu this weekend and ugh that sucked so much but this week is a new week and I'm counting everything I put in my mouth. Drinking LOTS of water and going to exercise 5x a week. Now I have to go shopping and get some snack food because I have tons of junk food and its hard to stay away from it all.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Where is everyone?? I wanted to say that I have ate pretty good for today. Im hungry and going to make myself a peanut butter toast i think and maybe drink some more water. I really need to find some healthier snacks. I might have to head to town tomorrow. I hate going with the kids being off of school and my DH working it could be a trip to remember. :tongue:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    msh0530- That was a very cute poem about doing the dishes. It's also about looking at this chore in a positive light. I bet the wii will be very fun to use! Let us know how you like it. I also tried to have my youngest teenage sister sign up to MFP, but she hasn't yet. It would be fun to connect with family in here.

Wishing you all a good week!

Glad you enjoyed the poem. I used it for about 25 years as a way to put the whining we all do about kitchen cleaning in perspective for my girls and myself. I didn't repost the yellowed, curling, torn paper when we moved, but find that we have all internalized it and don't need to have it posted.

Well, I went to 3 stores today, and everywhere in town was sold out of the Wii, so I came up with a new plan. I used my gift certificates to buy the groceries for my upcoming weekend with family at Wal-Mart, and in exchange (a rob Peter to pay Paul sort of deal with myself) came home and ordered the Wii from Amazon. It should arrive Wednesday if all goes as planned.

I'd better get busy - not too much done today, and need to be in overdrive. Spent too much time playing with my grandsons. I take that back, there is no such thing as too much time with them! I will gladly stay up working later!
  • debnu1
    Options
    mmm peanut butter and toast, I am going to have PB and a banana for a snack tomorrow. I am already planning it out. I stocked up on vegies at the store tonight so I should be ready for the week ahead. I have a problem with buying more than I should and ending up throwing stuff away. I have not yet learned how to plan exactly what we will need. I am sure I will get it with practice.

I love amazon it is definitely my favorite shopping website!!

I roasted brussel sprouts for dinner tonight, not too bad, I have not tried them for at least 6 years and that time I burned them. I definitely prefer roasting!

I am still waiting on a few weights...hope everyone is okay. This board has been very quiet lately.