Late night eating

Options
I have had this problem many times in the past. I get busy throught out the day and before I know it its 8 pm or later and I havent eaten supper yet. Would it be better to just skip eating all together or eat? Because on most days I still have 400-600 calories or more to eat before I hit 1200 calories. Just looking for opinions and suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• elisemarieh
    Options
    I have a similar problem... I usually work out anywhere between 6:30 and 8:30. When I get home from work I don't want to eat dinner before I exercise so I might eat a little snack but then when I get home from my work out it's fairly late, usually about 8pm and I'm starving.

ashmarie, I'm no expert but eating only 600-800 calories before 8pm doesn't seem like enough food to sustain oneself so I would eat a meal at 8pm. Maybe you should examine the reasons why you aren't eating more frequently throughout the day? Seems like you should shift way more calories to breakfast or snacks throughout the day? I find that keeping a stock of yoghurt, granola, nuts and other breakfast foods and snacks at work helps me eat more frequently during the day so I'm less likely to binge as soon as I get home.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Eat. Any time. Doesn't matter. Calories matter.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that eating late is fine, but you may not want to "cram in" so many calories at night just to get calories. Instead, try adding some snacks that are more calorie dense, and easy to eat during the day, like nuts or nut butters; string cheese is a good one.

Another idea is to prepare snacks ahead of time. Once or twice a week, take just a little time bag up single servings of things. Then, you don't need any prep time, you can just grab the snack.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meal timing will not affect weight loss. I eat 1500 calories immediately before bed most nights.
  • ashmarie25
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone. Having some healthy snacks on hand and in my car would be helpful! I will have to start planning a little more a head.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I literally go to bed with a 600 calorie snack everynight and have still managed to lose a few pounds in the process. Meal's have no frequency, you need to just hit your Macro's and your caloric intake for the day regardless to timing.. Best of Luck