p90x and low back pain

Options
Hey everyone...I've been wanting to start p90x right after new year's. I've been working up to it, doing Jilian Michael's most of last year.
In the last 4 weeks I've been dealing with serious low back pain..treated with physio, accupuncture, massage. I've also been doing weights and interval training this whole time. It's not getting much better, but some days are better than others.
ANYHOW...will p90x aggrivate or even HURT my back worse? I'm aware of the high impact-ness of plyometrics. so maybe that's no good for me right now...
Any thoughts? also, is there a good thread to read about p90x? the main ones seem SOOO long, and I kind of don't want to look through them all (sorry.)
Thanks everyone!
Cindy

Replies

• Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options
    I haven't done the p90x, but if you are looking for a bump up in intensity from Jillian's tapes, think about Barry's Boot Camp. I've been doing it for 2 weeks, lost 6 pounds and an inch off both my chest and hips. I've had disc issues in my lower back for years, as well as a torn muscle that never quite healed right, so even though I'm only 24 I often have the back pain of a 60 yr old! So far,this program has not caused any flare-ups of back pain (knock on wood!!) and I do believe it is cheaper than the Px90, though I'm not sure.. Just an idea :)
  • samwal81
    Options
    Before I started P90X I found out I had scoliosis (S-shaped). I was taking aspirin every night just to sleep and deal with the muscle spasms I would have.

Since I have started I have only taken aspirin a few time. I am 12 days from finishing it and being a P90X grad. It has helped me strengthen my core to include my lower back muscles.

If you feel the plyometrics is too much you can change it out with Cardio X.

If you already own P90X I would recommend giving a shot. I think you will be surprised by what you can do.

Good luck!
    Samantha
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    I do own it already, and am stubborn enough to do it if I put my mind to it. I appriciate knowing that it has helped!

Cindy
  • sirCed
    sirCed Posts: 16
    Options
    YOU HAVE TO STREGTH, STREGTH, STREGTH. AND BE CAREFUL WITH P90X BECAUSE IT WILL PUT PRESSURE ON YOUR LOWER BACK. I HAD THE SAME ISSUE YOU HAVE REST AND STREGTH BEFORE YOU TRY ANYTHING SERIOUS. ALSO THE P90X EXPECTS YOU TO JUMP RIGHT INTO THE EXERCISE IT SEEMS AS THOUGH THE EXPECT YOU KNOW ALL THE EXERCISES BEFORE YOU START. THATS MY ONLY ISSUE WITH IT.
  • RL83
    RL83 Posts: 15
    Options
    i agree with sam. in the plyometrics program he also states that you can start with the cardio x dvd if you aren't comfortable doing plyo.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So here's the deal, while yes, impact exercises like plyos or 30 day shred or P90X are all GREAT workouts, they all force your spine into some interesting positions.

Think about it like this, a person with a strong core wraps their spine with muscle that is stable and allows a uniform bending of the back. Now when your core is weak, your spine can shift and "wobble" when you do things (Like the above routines) that cause you to shift your body, impact and compact your spine, and/or twist a lot then the spine can become slightly dislocated, causing the fluid and connective tissue to stretch and herniate. This is bad.

so I say before you start any of these high impact, twisting type exercises, you need to stabilize your core. You do that by really strengthening your core. I would look up some good, hardcore ab, oblique, and hip flexors activities that will help make your middle strong. Once strong, those muscles will absorb impact, stabilize the spine, and allow proper movement. Fair warning though, it takes many months to strengthen the spine, and if your core is weak and you do these activities, you can injure yourself in ways that takes years (and sometimes never) to recover from.
    No amount of acupuncture, massage, or medicine will fix this, it takes core training plain and simple.
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes, precisely. I'm a Round 1 P90X grad (near to finishing up Round 2 in about 3 weeks). The Core Synergistics disc provides some intense core exercises that might be a good way to start, but as Boss said above, you have to build up to it if you have a physical condition prior to starting.

But keep this in mind -- even though P90X says it's a 90-day program, the ideas behind it (work out intensely, eat right) are actually meant for a lifetime. The 90 days is only the introduction into a lifestyle change. So that means that you only have the rest of your life to do this :)

Many people feel that they HAVE TO finish this in the 90 days or THEY FAIL!!!!! Then, when Real Life happens and they have to miss a day or two, they get discouraged. NOT TRUE!!!! Yes, it's MEANT for a 90 day cycle, but nobody's going to come to your house to confiscate the discs and books if you don't stick 100% to the program. :)

Like with any exercise program, start slowly and consult your health care providers for recommendations, especially if you're dealing with chronic back pain. Again, to paraphrase what Boss wrote, doing these exercises prematurely or with bad form can aggravate an injury, and it might even be from something as simple as bending over to pick up or put down a dumbbell.

Good luck!
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    Wow, I can't even say how much I appreciate those responses...they really really help. I may just start with the ab one and do that for awhile first.
    Being in pain all the time is so frustrating. especially this time of year...sigh.
    Thanks everyone...

Cindy
  • samwal81
    Options
    There is one called Core Synergistics. It works out your entire core. You could preview it to check out the moves and see if that is one you could use to help strengthen your core.
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There are three different programs outlined in P90X - one is a little less intense and might be good to start with. Since I am a cyclist, I sometime do a cycling work out in place of the pylo or Kempo and there are a few moves that irritate my shoulder so I skip them. Keep in mind as Tony says, "Do your best and forget the rest"
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have no knowledge about the back pain, but the P90X thread on here is mostly us saying what workout we did and for encouragement. If you have any questions about the program message me or post on the thread. Everyone is awesome and can answer any questions.

Good luck!
    =D
  • KristiM
    Options
    I have done Ab ripper X which has some intense moves but I don't think it will hurt your back...Pilates is the best way to improve back muscle.