Sonic Sprite Zero

Options
Random question, does anyone know why there are calories in Sonic's Sprite Zero? It was shocked when MFP said there was 5 calories (I know that's not a lot, but more than I expected), but I looked at Sonic nutrition information and it was the same. What gives?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    It contains aspartame which is a methyl ester of a dipeptide (2 amino acids).

So basically a small amount of protein.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    from what I read somewhere,,,, nothing but water is zero,, calories police or whatever allows any food or drink that is 5 calories or less to be promoted as zero calories...
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I just thought it was odd because when I searched Sprite Zero (bottled) in MFP, it was 0 calories. But not at Sonic. I also noticed that other diet drinks on the menu do not have calories. I'm just extremely curious as to why.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's to do with US labelling laws.
    My understanding is that anything that has less than 5 cals per serving can be promoted as "zero cals".
    In reality, the flavours and additives they use do have a few calories, they just don't have to promote it.
    If you aren't drinking a lot of it the calories aren't going to be significant, but if you are having 10 serves a day you might be having an extra 50 cals.
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    50 calories was definitely the thing that killed that one guy that one time