What do you men and women do to keep yourself on track?

Options
So men and women of MFP, what do you do when you sometimes feel unmotivated or are feeling like you're in a miserable place to bring yourself back up?

I'll start: I try on old shirts that I couldn't fit into, specifically, button up shirts. I put them on and if I can get the collar button on, I feel awesome and I'm reminded about how well I'm doing with weight loss.

It's your turn, go go go :D

Replies

• girlygirl22
    Options
    I hang clothes that are too small but i want to fit into them everywhere, to remind me that i just have to try a little harder because im almost there.
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think of my husband and how negative an effect my ill health, smoking and the constant complaining about my weight had on him. I have decided to take atleast partial control of my life and I want him to have a wife who is an equal partner not someone he has to constantly act as a crutch for.

I'm doing this for my own confidence and feeling of empowerment but I am also doing it for him.
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I log on here every day. I subscribe to online clothes stores that send me ads to tempt me to buy things that I can't fit into without looking like a sausage bursting out of its skin! I clutch the air in a fist and say "not yet, but one day!" :tongue:
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I was quite depressed just two months ago. It wasn't really weight related though. What helped me was staying in contact with friends I'd made here on MFP. Listening to their encouragement, reason and allowing myself to feel motivated by them... that's what kept me going :D
  • floridachikk
    floridachikk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think about the progress I have made so far and how it was only possible because of the changes I made (tracking food and working out). And that it really WILL get me to where I want to go if I just keep at it every day. :)
  • CentralCaliCycling
    Options
    OCD by nature and I don't feel good unless I get my mileage in each week.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    make mini goals.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I like trying on clothes that are slowly getting back to fitting me.

If I feel unmotivated I log on here and talk to someone.

Even weigh myself sometimes..

Think of my progress so far.

Look at pictures of me when I was a higher weight.

Watch TV shows about weight loss . Read success stories on here.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the posts, keep it up! :)
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    I dont get unmotivated i think im obsessed with diet and exercise!! I get really antsy if i have to miss a day at the gym and i hate rest days because i feel so lazy. I'm loving it!!!
  • MissAshFit1989
    Options
    I weigh myself
    Log foods and booze
    Look at people my height and admire their slimness
    Buy clothes that are a little too tight so I have to work harder to fit into them

Work out, I feel pretty darn good after it :-)
  • roguestates
    Options
    I keep long term goals in mind (knowing they are flexible) and focus on day to day challenges.

If I don't do as well as I want today, there's always another day. This relieves that pressure because I'm usually such a perfectionist.

What has totally changed this time around is the forever mindset that I've adopted. I have one body for the rest of my life. i have to treat it well and deal with the consequences. Giving up isn't an option when you've got only one body :P It's giving respect to my self and my body, which has done a lot for me, including surviving 2 surgeries.

I'm also choosing to lose weight slowly and being as active as I can be. Not having a super restrictive diet means it's easier to stick to.

It's been a positive cycle, because being active improves my mood, which helps with my motivation, and keeps me more active. I was depressed and a total sadsack before with low energy. I'm not 100% now, but I'm much improved. I don't need to be 100%, I just need to be healthier and better than before.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Make lists of NSV's. I also have an old HORRIBLE picture of myself in a swimsuit that I look at. And what 74point said. Have a forever mindset.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I let myself know that nobody is going to workout for me, that nobody is going to eat the cals for me & nobody is going to do it like me. I get un-motivated every single day.... every morning when I wake up. Then it gets to the point where I realize only I can do it & I'd better do it soon. Even when I don't feel like a run, I'll go do it. I'll feel great after I do it & wonder why I put it off. Then it starts again the next day.

Vicious cycle it is but it works for me.

I'm at the point now that if I'm not working out by 9am I'm getting all fidgety & MUST go do something soon. I'm addicted to running right now & can totally see & feel the benefits.

All my clothes (even the ones I got a few weeks ago) no longer fit. I had a top I'd live in, fancy top it was. It's now a fancy dress (put a thin belt on for shape & it's now my fave dress) so I can see I've done good. I love it.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I don't give myself too much choice. I have a routine - Tues & Wed are aqua aerobic and swimming days, Friday I get up early and swim before work and I do the gym and swim after on one day over the weekend. By having it regimented it has just become my new routine.

Also, logging in here keeps me focused, friends' successes, forum threads etc and always wanting to stay in the green on calories.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm making my halloween costume right now, a cosplay of a character from a video game - just the words "Arcade Sona" are enough to keep me away from that second helping of ice cream.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I think about growing older sick and unhealthy with diabetes and I look forward never back :)
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any problems with motivation so far. I think I am just REALLY ready to do it right this time. I hate how big I am, and I miss the athletic me. I want to play city league B-ball again.

What helps for me, though, is signing up for challenges on Endomondo (GPS tracker). I'm in a 100 miles in September challenge, and there are 700 participants. My goal is to get top 50. I'm averaging about 5 miles per day and after my walk today I am in 41st place. So far, so good! ;)
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I watch little kids at a training camp muay thai boxing (vid on youtube: little thai fighters)
    The hard work they put in training and their enthusiasm motivates me... If they can do it maybe I can too