Disney here we come! how will I survive??

Options
2»

Replies

• hadillon
    Options
    I've gone to disney more times than I can count. This past March we went and I had been using the MFP for a couple of months and I managed to not gain weight for the 1st time ever!! I logged an average of 20,000 steps per day. I packed easy to carry/travel snacks--Protein bars, individual nut/seed packs, etc. I tried to pick from the healthier options and drink lots and lots of water. You can ask at all of the quick service and table service for their nutrition info. (they are required by law, the FDA, to have it and make it available). Enjoy your trip!!
  • wdwgirl3
    wdwgirl3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've gone to disney more times than I can count. This past March we went and I had been using the MFP for a couple of months and I managed to not gain weight for the 1st time ever!! I logged an average of 20,000 steps per day. I packed easy to carry/travel snacks--Protein bars, individual nut/seed packs, etc. I tried to pick from the healthier options and drink lots and lots of water. You can ask at all of the quick service and table service for their nutrition info. (they are required by law, the FDA, to have it and make it available). Enjoy your trip!!

great job! great to know it can be done:) thanks for the tip about the nutrition info. I will for sure be asking
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    we will be there on the 29th! are you staying on site as well? I am hoping the weather cools down. today it was 43 with the humidity!
    ( I am in canada, so we use the metric system) I think that is around 98 degrees?

Oh, of course it was that hot. Last time we went, the first week of May a few years ago, it was in the 100s each day. Record temps. Lovely...more melting. We are staying in the pirate rooms at the Caribbean Beach resort!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    we go every couple of years, stay on the dining plan, and I usually lose weight or maintain. The walking is actually great exercise. If you are worried about it, get a fitbit so you can estimate your burn and put your mind at ease! You'll probably be able to eat whatever you want as long as you don't just go completely crazy.

On a side note, we have been to just about all of the restaurants, so feel free to message me if you are trying to choose between some. I can at least tell you what I thought!
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm going at the end of Sept for the Tower of Terror race and staying a few extra days. Wondering why I didn't get the dining plan for free? We are staying on property for 5 nights--does anyone know if that qualifies?

That said, I don't really want it since their only vegetarian options are veggie burgers and FRIES! Everywhere, seriously, fries.
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm going at the end of Sept for the Tower of Terror race and staying a few extra days. Wondering why I didn't get the dining plan for free? We are staying on property for 5 nights--does anyone know if that qualifies?

That said, I don't really want it since their only vegetarian options are veggie burgers and FRIES! Everywhere, seriously, fries.

You probably hit a blackout day. They often black out marathon days and always holidays.

I hear you on the fries. I am not a fry person - don't like them BUT I always ask for something else and they give me carrot sticks or grapes which I like to snack on during the day.

I will miss you all. We leave in 9 days and come home on the 29th. We will be at Saratoga Springs. We go in 140 days as well and we will be in the AoA resort (Art of Animation).
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to be going to WDW early this October. I don't personally plan on worrying about what I eat while I am there, because I know I will be walking for the large majority of the day. However, if you're going to be there for two whole weeks you're probably going to be taking it a bit easier than me and my family tend to do.

At any rate, you can of course choose to make the best choice available to cut back a bit on calories, even if you don't want to be super strict with it. Allears.net has menus from all the restaurants, and that might help you to plan. No nutritional info available, however, so you'll have to guesstimate. Dole Whips are surprisingly low in calories, however, just FYI.
  • mrtobias50
    mrtobias50 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    wow! thank you for all the tips guys:) I think the best thing to do is track food as much as possible. we are staying on property @ POFQ and we got tickets to MNNSHP as well:) thank you again for the advice! btw, I will not be eating a turkey leg! I found out they are 1000 calories each!

Glad you found out about that Turkey Leg - I was so shocked and sad when I found out!!

What a treat! Two weeks!

Disney is so customer focused and they will adjust food as needed at the sit down restaurants. Tell them you have dietary needs when you make a reservation. They do have lots of healthy options it just takes vigilance. I love the mouse and we visit Disneyland at least twice per year. Heading back in November I have cruised with them twice and have been to Disney World as well.

There are websites with nutritional info to check out ahead of time. Try DIS for or Mouseplanet. Decide what treats you do want, drink lots of water, walk a lot and MFP. BTW, I eat plant-based (vegan) and I have been able to make it work.

Have a great trip!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options

I'm a vegan and I eat very well whenever I go to Disney World. Yeah, I do have to have a veggie burger and fries a few times, but it's not as often as one might think. If you want some info I can message you a list I have of options that I've compiled for myself. Animal Kingdom Lodge's restaurants, in particular, are freaking incredible.
  • claire7090
    Options
    We went to Disney at Easter - I did not log and ate everything (the trip took 3 years to save for and I love American ice-cream and refused to miss out). I gained 7 lbs although I lost 3 of those in the first 4 days home so think that may have been caused by extra sodium in my system or the long flight so I reckon I gained 4 lbs for real.

Based on that if you are planning to only have one 'naughty' dessert each day and logging so you are aware of what you are eating I don't think you will gain very much - you will walk miles and if you have a pool at your resort a swim each day will burn a few more calories.

Have a great trip, we are saving to go again but think it will be another 3 years before we can save enough money!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I went for 8 days, ate whatever I wanted, didn't gain a pound.

I just don't see that happening for me LOL. We leave on 9/28 for a trip with the free dining. You get dessert at both meals per day! I'm going to try to do a fruit dessert at lunch, and a real dessert at dinner.
    I don't see why it would be different for you unless you have a HUGE appetite. You may be underestimating how much walking you're going to do. You don't have to go crazy with the food, just be reasonable and eat when you're hungry. Remember just because you GET dessert doesn't mean you have to eat it.

Of course it does, that's just crazy talk! LOL....at least I'll be sharing all my meals with my 2 year old :-) But I tend to go WAY overboard when traveling.

Of course, I would have thought I would have gained weight when we were in Korea too, and I lost 6 lbs. But there, we only ate two meals a day. Walked everywhere there too. So fingers crossed!

LOL! I went on a cruise recently - oh yeah dessert for every meal was available there too. I only gained 3 pounds - although there was a lot of walking it wasn't nearly as much as at Disney World. Don't worry too much and ENJOY!
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just got back and I maintained so i am happy! I ate what I wanted my logged everything and my walking and my baby carrying while walking which was exhausting. Now to tackle it again in January!
  • hullchris
    hullchris Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Last time we went with dinning neither my husband or I gained much and we had the deluxe plan which was 3 sit downs meals a day with appetizers and desserts. I started out eating everything and by the end of the trip I had a waiter laugh at me because I was exhausted from eating and couldn't decide. All I wanted was a bowl of lettuce.

We're getting ready to go again in a few short weeks and this time I'm actually dieting. I'm down almost 25lbs. since that last trip and I'm terrified of ruining all of the hard work I've put in. My currently plan it to save in my diary what I ate (not to track actual calories just keep notes) and to STOP eating when I'm full. Take 30 minutes a day for actual cardio and let all of the fun take care of the rest. If I come home at the end at the same place I think I'm going to consider it a success.

Oh yeah, I'm having a turkey leg!
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We were just at Disney in January, and I love their dining plan!!! We just did the quick service plan which was more than enough for us. We bought our breakfast each day (just a bagel or muffin to get us going) and used the meals for lunch and dinner, plus our snacks whenever we wanted. Those quick service meals keep you more than full and save you tons of time compared to the full-service plan!! I'm not a fan of sitting down for a lot of my meals at Disney - one or two is fine, but I like to go go go!!!

One of the great things about Disney is that they offer a great variety for their desserts - not only do they have chocolate, carrot, and cheese cakes, but they've got apples and caramel, a fruit dish, a veggie and dip dish, and yogurt which you can take for your dessert. And they are ALL delicious.

My advice: be conscious of what you're eating, but don't freak out over it. Some people can afford Disney every year, others go every decade or so. It's only two short weeks, and you should be enjoying your vacation!!!! Take advantage of the healthier foods, but don't beat yourself up over the cake or a Mickey Ice Cream or a Turkey Leg!!! You have all the time in the world to eat healthy at home, but only two weeks to enjoy Disney's great food!!!

Plus, you'll be doing a LOT of walking! Epcot is HUGE and you may need to stop a few times to rest your feet. You WILL be burning hundreds of calories just by going from place to place throughout the day. I promise!

Swimming is also a great workout, so feel free to enjoy your hotel's pool!!! (Where are you staying, by the way?) An hour swim at some point could probably cancel out a whole meal (leaving more calories for that DELICIOUS cake!!!)

Hope I don't sabotage your diet, but trust me - you don't want memories of not being able to try the delicious food just because it would have saved you a pound. If you fall off the wagon, just jump back on when you get home. Don't sweat it :D