broken toe

Options
I broke my toe about a week ago. It feels a little better but I'm still not sure if I'm ready to get back to the gym. Does anyone know how long I should wait untill getting back to my regular workout? I usually run about 5 miles twice a week and hit the gym for strength training 3 times a week.

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Why not use the elliptical or the exercise bike at the gym. You don't really need to use your toe there
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    To be on the safe side, broken bones take about 6 weeks to completely heal. If you went to see a doctor, you should have been told this already. The problem is that you will feel well enough to resume activity before the 6 weeks is up. Returning to activity too such risks another fracture at an already weakened spot.

It's your call--or you could more specific instructions for your particular break from your doctor. I sustained a spiral fracture of my big toe a number of years ago (dropped a 25lb weight plate on my foot). Just had to ride it out with non-impact cardio and upper-body strength.