depressed with new shape when wasn't before?

Options
It's weird when I was 12st 7 I never really thought about my size that much. I've lost 3 stone which took a whole year. I was doing well but been stuck at same weight for ages and can't lose any inches either.

I'll look in mirror and see I look slimmer nad be pleased then someone will mention someone like a friend who is 12st 13 and just got to size 14. I'm still size 14and there's no way I'm getting in any smaller I tried today some 12-14 leggings and I couldn't get them up. Things like this seem to send me into instant depression. At 9st 7 I should be like size 10 or 12 so therefore must still be fat. I bought more fat burners but got allergic reaction to them. I'm tempted at moments of depression to still take them and just tolerate the reaction cos I might be burning more calories during one and I take about 4-6 anti-hisitamines just to take the edge of the reaction so throat doesn't swell or anything.

So far only OEP I've had no reaction to but didn't lose that much on it either, everything else I tried seems to have Acai berries in it somewhere or made in factory with nuts and has cross contamination (I'm assuming applies to last lot as no acai berry in ingredients).

I've been doing double dose of thyroxine morning and night but as got water on can't tell yet until TOTM ends.

I'm considering risking plastic surgery to get flat stomach as at moment don't fee I'll be happy until my stomach is flat. I tried more cardio arms and face and neck are getting thinner, I think I look older and dark circles under eyes look more pronounced cos face is thinner. I don't understand why all weight is coming off everywhere else but my stomach? ... How low do i have to go to get a completely flat stomach?

I don't whether to go on meds for depression, hormone replacement cos of menopause or use savings that were for next powerchair for a tummy tuck to see if that will prevent me from having to do on anti-depressants? Easiest option would be to get fatter everywhere else again so tummy looks flatter in comparison if more weight on middle and hips!.. but wondering if I'll ever be happy with my body again if I don't get surgery to make stomach flat?

Replies

• silverjezture
    silverjezture Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Depression is a very real and serious thing and thought I'm no Dr, I suffer from it, let me tell you- seeking medical help for THAT is way better than re-gain what you worked hard to loose- Try Vitamin E sticks under your eyes- like lipstick for dark circles- and remind yourself that it took time to get there it takes time to get back- core exercises?

Good Luck
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You're a UK 14, though, right? I'm pretty sure that's like 5 sizes smaller than a US 14, putting you in the single digits for pants sizes, which right now I can barely even aspire to.

Sounds like you need to visit a doctor and if possible get a nutritionist to work with you to figure out what you need to do to get where you're going safely and as speedily as possible. (I know, I tell darn near everyone to see a nutritionist, but I would do it in a heartbeat if I could afford one, it's so frustrating when that scale is stuck.)

I cared nothing about my looks before I started trying to lose this weight because I knew it was hopeless and all I wanted was to break every mirror I happened to see. Now it's hard not to care, and hard not to be impatient, given that I still have a long way to go. My belly is a hopeless case still and always will be, though. Comes of having a kid.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Do you do strength training as well as cardio? Because that can make a massive different to your body shape.

Also, how tall are you?

You also need to remember that everybody's body carries weight differently.

I'm 5'3.5", and at 9st 10lbs I was still in a size 14 (or a VERY tight 12). I started focusing more on weight training rather than cardio, and I'm now 9st 1lbs and a size 10, and I fit into 8's in some places. That's two dresses sizes in 9lbs. Heavy lifting honestly does wonders for your body. The scale moved slower, but my body measurements changed far more drastically.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You're a UK 14, though, right? I'm pretty sure that's like 5 sizes smaller than a US 14, putting you in the single digits for pants sizes, which right now I can barely even aspire to.

A UK 14 is a US 10, a UK 10 is a US 6, etc.
  • kellyo15
    Options
    Strength training will help you to burn fat and make huge changes in your body's shape! Please don't take pills that are causing nasty reactions to your body...if those are the reactions you can see now imagine what else they could be doing to you that you don't see right away :( I agree with above posters about discussing a health plan with your doctor and possibly a nutritionist as well. Congratulations on your weight loss so far, that's wonderful! :)
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Depression is a very real and serious thing and thought I'm no Dr, I suffer from it, let me tell you- seeking medical help for THAT is way better than re-gain what you worked hard to loose-

I am no doctor, but I do have a masters in rehabilitation counseling. I also have had lifetime problems with depression. You need to see a GOOD medical doctor about your depression first before doing anything else. He/She can determine if your depression is caused by menopause (some are) or is caused by something else. It could even be caused by whatever is causing your ataxia. Then you get treatment for it. The best is usually a combination of medication (SSRIs or Buproprion usually) and cognitive therapy or interpersonal therapy or brief solution oriented therapy . DO NOT allow someone to do open ended talk therapy (hand holding therapy) because it does not help and just makes you focus MORE on your problems. Also, if you are having problems with mobility, are you getting enough SUNSHINE? If not, you might want to try full spectrum lightbulbs in the lamps in all the rooms you spend time during the day, and take the shades off. Full spectrum lighting can make a huge difference in depression. Are you getting enough social interaction with your new restraints on mobility? That can also make depression harder to treat if one is isolated. And it is easy to become isolated with a mobility impairment. And lastly, could what you are feeling be grief? It is common when people lose abilities. I have gone through a lot of grief as arthritis has limited my activities more and more. We have to give up things we love to do, dreams and goals we had for the future, and also sometimes relationships. That is a lot to lose!

Lastly, feel free to add me as a friend. I would love to be a support for you in your journey.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I agree with the strength training advice. You mentioned cardio and fat burners (I don't know what that is) but nothing else. I'm at a weight I've been at before several times, but I'm two sizes smaller then the last time I was at this weight and it's because of weight lifting. I don't do much cardio at all. It's been said on these forums a million times and I finally understand....Do cardio to lose weight...lift weights to change your body shape. Best of luck.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Do you do strength training as well as cardio? Because that can make a massive different to your body shape.

Also, how tall are you?

I'm 5'3.5", and at 9st 10lbs I was still in a size 14 (or a VERY tight 12). I started focusing more on weight training rather than cardio, and I'm now 9st 1lbs and a size 10, and I fit into 8's in some places. That's two dresses sizes in 9lbs. Heavy lifting honestly does wonders for your body. The scale moved slower, but my body measurements changed far more drastically.

THIS^^^ A few years ago I lost a lot of weight through illness. It just melted off but even though I was 10.5 stone, I was still a size 16. Had I done some strength training at the time it would have been a different story. Try incorporating some strength training into your workout and you should see some differences. I'm not really an advocate of surgery but it's each to their own really. Try the strength training first for a while and don't go off the scale! Take your measurements as you'll see more results there than anywhere.

As to the depression, it would probably help to go and see a dr. You may just need to have some counselling which could help. Anti depressants are not necessarily the answer. Weight loss pills, fat burners etc are not worth it. Don't risk an allergic reaction as this can make everything worse. It could also seriously backfire.

I hope any of this helps. Just know that what you have done so far is amazing. Have a try at changing it up. You might see a difference.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've never had a child though. I do have under active thyroid and have been in wheelchair last 7 yrs. I know there's such a thing as 'quad belly' common in wheelchair users cos those muscles don't get used as much everyday as not going from sitting to standing and moving about. .. if that's reason I'm never gonna tone those muscles am I?

My tummy was 48" around largest area and it gone down to 33 " so I was expecting it to keep shrinking as I got smaller. My waist was 38" now 30 " but can't get in 30" jeans cos tummy is 33 ".. and they all seem to fasten around the tummy now just above the hips!

Really tight ones are uncomfortable when you're sat all day! I just had to get a smart pair of elasticated waist trousers to wear for xmas cos I don't think I'm gonna get in the 14 skinny cords that I had got. I'm thinking of putting them in charity bag as there's a collection tomorrow.

On the other hand I got winter woolies out and the 18-20 jumpers are miles too big on me and look ridiculous so will have to buy some smaller wooly jumpers in size 14, even fitted in some 12-14 in jumpers, although can see tummy as they are thin polo neck jumpers mainly I wear under thicker sweatshirts etc when its absolutely freezing here (Feb like -2 in middle of day!.. BRRRRR)

I have been dieting since last June so 1yr and 3 months not lost anything in weight or inches the last 3 months :sad: but also had 2 periods in one month, then one, then nothing, then one late.. I'm not sure if dieting has messed up cycle or its early menopause?
  • shakybabe
    Options

Sounds like you need to visit a doctor and if possible get a nutritionist to work with you to figure out what you need to do to get where you're going safely and as speedily as possible. (I know, I tell darn near everyone to see a nutritionist, but I would do it in a heartbeat if I could afford one, it's so frustrating when that scale is stuck.)

I cared nothing about my looks before I started trying to lose this weight because I knew it was hopeless and all I wanted was to break every mirror I happened to see. Now it's hard not to care, and hard not to be impatient, given that I still have a long way to go. My belly is a hopeless case still and always will be, though. Comes of having a kid.

I thought US sizes were smaller cos isn't your size double zero the same as UK size 4 or something?
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sb
    Know how you feel as my tummy puts me uk 12-14 and we are almost the same weight. I suspect it is a thyroid thing. I do exercise my abs constantly, my legs are ok and arms amazing but I have rib fat and love handles. I suspect it is not depression that haunts us but justifiable sadness at the thyroid issue. In spite of your limitations you are amazing and are achieving your goals gradually and steadily.
    Please be proud of your progress.:smile:
    You never give up and it is usual for us hypos to plateau for months but we get there slowly, but the brilliant thing is that this slow steady progress keeps the weight off forever. Some meds can increase weight in the tummy area so you may need to check. It out first.

Jas
  • shakybabe
    Options

Also, how tall are you?

Do you mean weights by strength training? I am limited with what I can do due to my disability but I wear weighted wristbands, ankle weights and a balance belt which is 6lbs around my middle. I can do a few exercises with a 4KG kettlebell but have to be careful as tend to let go of things involuntarily (as my hands flex).

I'm also 5ft 3 and half but have been in wheelchair the last 7years. My legs are leaner with using passive trainer pedals (They pedal my legs for me) thought stomach would have shrunk more with getting lower body exercise from that. My arms are thin and wrists as they get alot of exercise between between propeliing manual chair and the muscle spasms and intention tremor.

I am 3lb and 3 inches of goal but haven't had any losses at all since June either weight wise or inches. I've tried starving, slimfast, eating more, exercising off everything I eat so I eat 1,000 cals I burn 1,000cals on bike or eating more and just burning off the excess so still have net calories between 1,000-1,200. I've tried fat burners they worked at first to give me more energy to exercise in first few months of last year but I was trying capsiplex and they changed the formula to include acai berry which I'm allergic to so was unable to take anymore. I tried dropping wheat too and got great losses at first but that no longer works now.

You can see outline of my bones in arms from shoulder joint all way down, collarbones, ribs which weren't visible before. My boobs have shrunk from 40 to 34! .. but tummy doesn't seem to be shrinking down in proportion to everything and if keep going with all over cardio I envision looking like a pregnant skeleton or something!.. and still having the fat tummy but too thin everywhere else.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

I thought US sizes were smaller cos isn't your size double zero the same as UK size 4 or something?

No, now the US is very much a "vanity sizing" culture.

You have it backwards. Our size zero would be a UK 4. Generally speaking, UK sizes are almost two full sizes higher than US sizes. It's a slap in the face every time this American has purchased clothing in the UK. :)

It's amazing what's happened to American sizes. When I was a teen and at this weight and height, I wore a 12. Now, it's a 6. That's how much American sizing has expanded over the last 30 years. When I look at my Mom's wedding dress, which is TINY, I just about pass out to see it was a 12 for its day (early 60s). Now, it would be an American 4.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I think UK sizes have changed though. When I was younger and this weight I was in 10-12's, no chance of getting in them these days!.. I guess my tummy must have been flatter and more in proportion. I think clothes these days are designed for people who are straight up and down so unless get maternity trousers, end up having to go up a size or two!