Christmas Traditions

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
What are your christmas traditions? Arer you doing anything new this year?

We go to church on Christmas eve and then go to my grandparents to exchange gifts and also to celebrate my grandpa's birthday. We couldn't go for the first time in my whole life last year because my grandma was recovering from a broken hip, so my aunt hosted instead, it so was not the same :cry: But she's all better now :smile: My boyfriend and I also exchange one gift on Christmas eve.

Christmas morning when we wake up we open gifts (of course) and then we usually go to my dad's to open gifts and have breakfast. But this year since we have our new house, my dad, his girlfriend, her daughter and my brother are coming over our house and I'm making breakfast. Then in the afternoon we go to my boyfriend's parents and open presents, have dinner and play family games. I LOVE Christmas, it's hands down my favorite holiday.

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    My husband and I usually go to my parents' house in the morning and then to his for the afternoon. Eventually I would like to combine the two but that will have to wait until we have a bigger home. Currently none of us has a house big enough really to host everyone.

My favourite yearly tradition is my husband and I watching Bad Santa while drinking about a week before Christmas to help get us in the spirit.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    We open one gift at 6:00 p.m. on Christmas eve and the others on Christmas morning.
    Another tradition is I always get house shoes for Christmas and my kids always get a box of cherry chocolates.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I've hated Christmas for a few years now because usually what happens is my bf and I wake up Christmas Day, have breakfast, and then travel to opposite ends of the state. I come home Christmas night because we have too many dogs to take with us and no money to pay for kenneling for 5 dogs at holiday rates (we have 6 but my oldest always goes with me to my mom's house). So, then I spend Christmas night and several nights after by myself while my bf visits with his family 200 miles away. Normally, my bf's brother is on his leave (in the Navy) and comes home so my bf goes to stay with his mom & brother. It bums me out not to be with one of the people I love the most during the holidays! But this year his brother isn't coming home because he wants to spend the holidays with his girlfriend 5,000 miles away instead. :laugh: So, that means his mom is coming up to our house for Christmas Eve and then we're all going to my mom's house for Christmas day (and of course I want her there anyway! The guilt-free business is just an added bonus :laugh:)! YAY! I'm so happy I get to spend the holiday with almost everyone I love AND not have the guilt of my bf's mom being alone during Christmas. I'm such a genius for coming up with this plan. :laugh:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve, we have seafood for dinner.... then we open presents for my dad and moms brother's and sisters
    Christmas Day we eat Lasagna at 2 and that morning we open presents as well... I give mom and dad and my other animals theirs!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    When our boys were young, our Christmas Eve tradition after church was to come home and gather around the tree where I would read "The Night Before Christmas" to everyone. Then we would pass around tthe Santa cap and jingle bells to each person, starting with the youngest . That person would name a Christmas carol and everyone would sing it while they went to get the presents they were giving and put them under the tree, ringing the jingle bells to announce they were coming. After everyone's presents were under the tree, my wife would bring out a bundt cake (because no one liked angel food cakes) and we'd light a candle in the middle of it and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Then we would cut the cake and as each person received their slice they would tell everyone one thing that made them happy during the year. After that, each child got to open one present before we put the Christmas cookies and the carrots for the reindeer by the fireplace. Then it was off to bed for the children.

Then it was Santa's turn to get busy assembling the big toys :laugh: :grumble: while Ms. Santa filled the stockings. :bigsmile: Each person has a homemade knitted stocking with their name on the top and the year of their birth on the toe. All were made by my mother until she passed away. Since then they have been knitted by my wife, starting with the one for our granddaughter. Next year my wife will have to do it again for her granddaughter's soon-to-be-born little brother. :love:

Finally Santa and Mrs. Santa would get to relax and enjoy the tree by candlelight and have a cup of tea or cider and eat the cookies.and carrots (unless the dog got them first!) :laugh:
  • poeticjustice_2001
    Options
    I'm Jewish so my Christmas tradition is going to a Chinese restaurant with my other Jewish friends (hey someone has to keep them in business on Christmas Day!) :laugh:

286730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I'm Jewish so my Christmas tradition is going to a Chinese restaurant with my other Jewish friends (hey someone has to keep them in business on Christmas Day!) :laugh:

286730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Ahahahhaa!! Your right!

My Christmas tradition (newly started as I started my own family in 07) is to open one present the night before (always jammies, my momma did it for me...) and read a christmas story... Christmas morning we'll get up when the kids do (usually around 5 am) and open presents then make breakfast..yummy!!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Christmas eve my husband and I go to his parents house to open presents then we go to eat at the waffle house. Christmas morning we wake up early and go to my parents house to open gifts there. Then I help my mom finish cooking Christmas Day Lunch. Later Christmas day we go back to my in-laws where we have a big family dinner with their whole family. Then I go home and go to bed because I am usually exhausted.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I've hated Christmas for a few years now because usually what happens is my bf and I wake up Christmas Day, have breakfast, and then travel to opposite ends of the state. I come home Christmas night because we have too many dogs to take with us and no money to pay for kenneling for 5 dogs at holiday rates (we have 6 but my oldest always goes with me to my mom's house). So, then I spend Christmas night and several nights after by myself while my bf visits with his family 200 miles away. Normally, my bf's brother is on his leave (in the Navy) and comes home so my bf goes to stay with his mom & brother. It bums me out not to be with one of the people I love the most during the holidays! But this year his brother isn't coming home because he wants to spend the holidays with his girlfriend 5,000 miles away instead. :laugh: So, that means his mom is coming up to our house for Christmas Eve and then we're all going to my mom's house for Christmas day (and of course I want her there anyway! The guilt-free business is just an added bonus :laugh:)! YAY! I'm so happy I get to spend the holiday with almost everyone I love AND not have the guilt of my bf's mom being alone during Christmas. I'm such a genius for coming up with this plan. :laugh:

Aww, I'm glad you'll get to be with everyone this year. Have a great time!
  • shutterbug4674
    shutterbug4674 Posts: 3,690 Member
    Options
    As kids, our Christmas tradition was we had to drink a glass of orange juice before opening any presents.
    We usually got to open at least one on Christmas Eve.