HRM & low blood pressure

Options
When I'm at the gym the machine (treadmill x trainer or stepper) does not pick up my heartrate. The trainer said this could be due to my low blood pressure.

My question is will a HRM pick up my heart rate?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    An HRM works, because it works by measuring the electrical pulses used to control your heart, not from the pressure created from the movement of blood.

That is, if you buy a better one that has a chest strap.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of reasons why the HRM sensors in the handgrips cannot pick up heart rates--just due to physical differences between people. It's frustrating for the individual at times--and it's frustrating for me as the guy in charge of equipment repair because they keep claiming the machines are defective, when I know for a fact that they are not.

That being said, chest straps are much more sensitive and in a much better location to pick up HR signals. In my experience, very few people have issues with chest straps.
  • Chou_In_Motion
    Options
    I guess that explains why my HRM watch is not picking up my heart rate. I am gurgling my heart while working out. I look down at wrist at my HRM. It shows I have burned 40 calories less then 30 minutes. I have low blood pressure as well.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Thank you ! :smile:
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yep, around the chest is the best way for it to monitor.