some of my progress so far (pics) & advice question :)

So, I made my lifestyle change around 2 months ago, and today was my second picture day, and I must say, I did NOT think I lost that much weight! :D
A question though: For my resistance training, who thinks I should lift heavy at around 10 reps, and who thinks I should lift lighter at around 20 reps? Thanks! :D

Ps: Don't mind how greasy my hair is in them, each one was taken after a workout! haha :)

backcomparisonsmaller.jpg

sidecomparison.jpg

**edit: resized first picture :)

Replies

• chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Oh wow, these side by side comparisons are great. I think it's awesome progress, keep it up! This is inspiring!
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Great work! Lift Heavy!!! New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good place to start :flowerforyou:
  • First, I'd say HEAVY.

However, do whatever you want to do and look forward to. It's more important to be happy with what you're doing and doing something that you'll stick with than to do things the 'best' way.

Great job so far!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Wow!!! Great loss! You can really see the difference!

I don't know a lot about strength training...I know when I was losing, I did less reps with heavier weight (for me though heavier weight was only 7 or 8 lbs)...but now that I'm maintaining and trying to get a little muscle definition, I've been doing more reps with a 4 to 5 lb weight. Sorry I can't be of any other help!
  • You look amazing! Great progress! Also, when your lifting, the best is to lift heavy doing 5X5. 5 sets of 5 reps at a heavy weight.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Great job, I can definately see a difference! I would recomend lifting 8-10 reps very heavy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Great job!

Another vote for heavy. Not only does it make more of an impact, it doesn't take as long. :wink:
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Looking good and making progress! I would agree with the concensus that heavy lower reps is better than lighter longer reps. I do 1 rep per exercise of 12, setting the weights so that by the time I get to 10 or 11, I am exerting to make the 12th rep (i.e. approaching failure to make another rep). It burnsssssssss.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    You look great! Definitely see the positive changes.

Lift heavy at 10 reps. Most definitely.
  • Wow. I can tell a difference. You should feel so accomplished and proud of yourself. I'll add you for sure because you've motivated me to keep pushing forward. Keep going to reach your goals girls. About the resistance training question. The heavier the weight and less reps are done the more muscle you'll build. The lighter the weight and more reps you can do the more tone your muscles will become. I opt for tone than muscle building, but that's just my preference.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Great pics, real difference there! On the lifting, as you are a female you will never build a huge amount of muscle, so lift heavy! :D I think someone else suggested it but the new rules of lifting for women is great :)
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    there is a definite noticeable difference! great job!!!!!!!!!!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,284 Member
    Nice job! You are toning well. Keep it up
  • Sammylynn89
    Sammylynn89 Posts: 83 Member
    Lift heavy at 10 reps! check out NROL4W, its a great lifting program for women. You look great now, but by lifting heavy you're going to see great results, everything is going to lift and be less jiggly! lol A lot of women are scared to lift heavy but do it, you wont regret it! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!