Hard Boiled Eggs !@#$%^&

Options
Someone please tell me the trick to making these things! Every time I make them, when I go to peel it, the shell sicks to the egg soooo much. I know you're supposed to run them under cold water right after you boil them, and that's supposed to help. But yeah, the shell still sticks to the egg like crazy and I end up losing little chunks of the egg here and there.

Any other tricks to avoid this?

Thanks!

Replies

• jocornelli
    jocornelli Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds odd but use older eggs. The fresher the eggs the more the shell will stick.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you should use week old eggs.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Do you let them soak in the colder water after they boil? I boil them and then let the water in the pot cool for a while, I dump that water. I add new cold water to the pot and let them sit in the cold for a while.
    I have also noticed that the older the eggs the easier they are to peel. Fresh laid eggs tend to stick more. I usually buy my eggs in the store and let them sit in the fridge for a few days before I hard boil them.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My grandfather says you scare them out of their skins.

Fresh eggs. Boil with a bit of salt in the water. Take off the stove. Pour ice cold water on them. Keep in ice cold water while you peel them. I peel them UNDER water in the pot.

Sometimes they still stick - that happens with older eggs. Not much you can do with that. I have chickens. Eggs are my life.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    are your eggs fresh? no, fresh eggs won't have the shell sticking. When boiling, don't let it boil for too long, 10 mins is more than enough to have the eggs nicely done.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Sounds odd but use older eggs. The fresher the eggs the more the shell will stick.

Actually, I heard a nutritionist talk about this. New and old eggs need different techniques for peeling.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that very fresh eggs will adhere to the shell the worst. I keep mine in my fridge for a week, at least, then boil them.

And yes, I do run cold water on them as soon as I take them off the boil. I don't try to peel them until they are fairly cold.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to have the same answer. Thanks guys! I will try older eggs and I'll try letting them sit in the cold water longer :)
  • successiswithinme
    Options
    I got so tired of that so I buy the prepacked HB ones now, more expensive but worth it to me.
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    I bought this awesome product at wal-mart called Eggies. It was on tv also, but what it does is it places interior of the egg in a little container and you boil to container so the steam will boil the actual interior of the egg instead of the entire egg. No more egg peeling and I can make hard boiled egg whites. It's the best thing ever. No more trouble.
  • Cassie8877
    Options
    i put mine in cold water and then the fridge right away! yum im about to eat one in a min lol good luck
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Shock them with ice after they're done cooking and put about a tbsp of white vinegar in the water while they are cooking. My husband is a chef and he taught me these tricks.
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Put plenty of salt in the water, it helps :)
  • cherham
    Options
    The trick is not to boil them. Yep that is right don't boil them. Let the water come up to a boil and turn off the burner. Let the eggs sit in the pan of hot water for 9 minutes. Then run them under cold water and peel immediately. You will be pleasantly surprised. Just did this last night.
  • rstein485
    rstein485 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We crack the eggs before we run them under cold water.
  • lmtrevin77
    lmtrevin77 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I make hard boiled eggs every morning. So as part my my morning routine, I get up and boil a pot of water on Medium High for 20 minutes. I set a timer. Then I put the eggs in after that and boil them. I use tongs. This time varies. It depends on where I am in the process of getting ready. Never longer than 30 minutes, though. Doing this helps the shell just break right in half and I twist it off. I got my boyfriend to start doing this and he now eats more boiled eggs because they are so easy to peel.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My mother in law swears that putting salt in the water keeps the eggs from sticking so I sprinkle a bunch of salt on top of the eggs before boiling.
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Someone please tell me the trick to making these things! Every time I make them, when I go to peel it, the shell sicks to the egg soooo much. I know you're supposed to run them under cold water right after you boil them, and that's supposed to help. But yeah, the shell still sticks to the egg like crazy and I end up losing little chunks of the egg here and there.

Any other tricks to avoid this?

Thanks!

Try a small spoon, Tea Spoon. Break the shell and force the spoon between the shell and the egg and move it round the egg and keep pushing it further and further and the shell should just come away! The back of the spoon spereates the shell from the egg.

It does take some practice and some eggs you will find it sticks, but I think this is a really neat trick!
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    We have chickens, so our eggs are very fresh!! They are the hardest to peel. The best thing I've found was using my pressure cooker. Put the eggs in the cooker, on a rack so they're not touching the bottom. put in a bit of water, cover, lock, etc, and put on to boil. Once the cooker starts whistling, time it for 6 minutes. Usually 6 minutes is perfect. After 6 minutes, remove from heat and let the pressure release normally. Don't rush it or you'll crack the eggs. Once the pressure is gone, open and immediately put the eggs into ice water. I've done this many times, and most eggs peel really easily. Good luck!! No, they won't explode in the pressure cooker :laugh:
  • cherham
    Options
    Do not boil them. Bring the water to a boil and then turn off the burner. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 9 minutes. Rinse with cold water and then peel immediately. It really works. I had almost stopped making hard boiled eggs because they wouldn't peel. Now I make them all the time....Try it, it works