Newbie lots of pain when walking.

Options
Hello All,
First let me say I love this place and all the info I can get here for my weight loss journey. Now to the question.
I am 46 years old 5'5" tall 315#. I have finally decided to do something about my weight and I tried to start walking..
Everything hurts! Well almost everything... My back hurts about 100- 200 yds into walking and my shins start to burn at about the same distance. Most of my weight is in my belly. I was completely sedentary up to this point. My question is , should I walk through the pain and will it get better as I start to become more used to using these muscles. Anyone with any experience please help.

Leo

Replies

• RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!

Back when I joined MFP at the end of Jan 2012 my first goal was to walk for an hour a day, and for the first 2 weeks it HURT. My arches throbbed, my calves ached, my shins were on FIRE. There were days at the start when I wouldn't get halfway through the walk when my legs would feel like giving out.

One problem is going from completely sedentary (all I did was sit around playing online games or watching tv) to spending an hour pushing my legs as fast as I could for that hour - my walking route included 4 steep( at the time they were monstrous) hills and my pace was 3.0mph

Another issue was I wasn't using walking sneakers - yap. I was walking midwinter in my crocs, lol XD

I pushed through the pain by walking a bit slower when the shins would flare up, and elevating my legs once I got home to ease the aches that come from using gimpy muscles. I bought proper walking sneakers (cushioned insoles, and a nice arch support) Just make sure, if you don't have them yet, you try on every pair you can 'cause it will matter by your 5th walk in the new shoes. By week 3 the pain was more of a discomfort, and to be honest I have no recollection of the first day when it stopped hurting. It WILL go away eventually. Don't push yourself TOO hard, listen to your body - but if you make it 10 extra steps the next time or the next time it's all progress :)

Just set mini goals to accomplish. Also do more "walking around" inside the home or office just to get your legs used to the idea of being expected to do more than be torso ornaments. That helped me a LOT during the first 2 weeks.

Good luck to you!!!!!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to find the line between pushing yourself, and pushing too far and hurting yourself. And that line seems to change daily.

Make sure you have good supportive shoes - I like New Balance because you can find them anywhere and they have wide widths, but everyone is different. Having good shoes will help a LOT.

I get shin splints every once in a while and I read somewhere that it could be that your stride is too long. I know that I also get them if I walk too fast especially on hard surfaces like asphault.

Good luck!
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    also try some stretches after you walk for your shins on the floor legs in a v and point your toes towards and away from you body a few times stretches both shins and calves from the same posistion bend forward with out bending your knees reaching hands out with your hands towards your toes and torwards the center between your legs if you start having inner thigh problems butterfly your legs (ballet term i dont know the actual name for it) by bringing the soles of your feet together as close to the body as you can lift your knees up and down... all of these help a lot always been my go to stretches for the last 20 or so yrs
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What kind of pain? If your bones are brittle from lack of exercise and excessive weight, stress fractures can occur. Have you talked to your doctor?
  • anthemforagirl
    Options
    When I first started this journey and rehabilitation after falling and breaking my ankle - I started with water aerobics. It took the pressure off and helped me drop my initial 15lbs. After starting to condition my body and build the strength... I then moved to a recumbent bicycle.. and eventually the treadmill and elliptical.

I highly recommend starting off with something low impact in order to get the ball rolling - so to speak.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Start with 1/2 mile at a comfortable pace. When you can consistently accomplish that every other day. Lengthen that to 3/4 mile, then a mile.. etc etc. when you get to 5K.. or just over 3 miles, then move up your pace a bit.
    Rest, hydrate well and wear the proper shoes...
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I was 338 pounds when I started, and had the same problem. My legs used to ache so bad at night I could not sleep. But now I walk up to 6 miles a day and don't have a problem. So you will get used to it. I will say though, if you think it is something other than just sore muscles from overuse, or have any doubt, check with your doctor to make sure you do not have any health issues that you are making worse. Otherwise, just hang in there. It will get better.
  • okcareys4ku
    Options
    Make sure you okay any excersice and diet plan with your physician. Take it one day at a time -- walk as much as you can, then the next day add a few more steps, then keep adding steps each day. Even try to walk just a few short distances several times a day.
  • albryant0614
    Options
    I definitely think small walking goals are a good idea. Don't try to overdo it! Also I recommend a good pair of walking shoes. I tried walking in my everyday shoes and I found that it made my legs and back hurt. Once I got some actual walking shoes, things got better!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I started my journey over a year ago - and weighed in at 400lbs. I started walking, and woke up in the mornings and could barely put my feet on the floor, it hurt SO BAD. I almost gave up. I kept walking though - slow pace, and did just around the block at first. Then, I picked up the pace a little for a week. Then, did twice around the block at a slow pace, then upped it to a faster pace.

Now, a year and a half later, I'm doing Insanity. I'm here to tell you it IS possible.

Stretch before your walk - put your foot up on the couch, stretch your legs and hips. Reach down and try to touch your toes. Do side stretches - get the blood moving and your body will adjust. I also agree with everyone about good sneakers. Those can save your life!! I have 2 pairs of running sneakers now, and am also doing the C25K program because I actualloy enjoy running now.

You can do this - you are already further ahead than everyone on the couch - just remember that. EVERY step matters!!!
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Get to a pool and water walk. The water will take some of your weight off the joints and allow you to start conditioning the leg muscles. Most pools also have great programs for water exercises that are great if your are very heavy.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I would first recommend talking to your doctor. Boiler plate answer, I know, but they can probably give more helpful suggestions than what you'll get one here.

Now that I've made that disclaimer, I would recommend going to shoe store. A REAL shoe store, where the people who work there actually know how to fit you for a pair of athletic shoes based on your activity. You'd be surprised how helpful that can be. When I started running, I had terrible shin splints and a bruised heel. I got a new pair of shoes that were right for my activity and stride type, and it was amazing.

Also, have you tried an elliptical? They are a lot more forgiving on joints and bones. When I was having my shin splint problems using an elliptical helped TREMENDOUSLY. Also, you should avoid hills until your body becomes conditioned to activity- hills were another factor in my shin splints.
    Another suggestion would be doing water aerobics. My step-dad had two spinal fusions and can't do normal activity because it will dislodge the pins in his spine. He's been doing water aerobics for a year now, and he LOVES it. And he's also pain-free while he's working out.

Hope that helps and good luck! :happy:
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Make sure you okay any excersice and diet plan with your physician. Take it one day at a time -- walk as much as you can, then the next day add a few more steps, then keep adding steps each day. Even try to walk just a few short distances several times a day.

I agree with this. It would be a good idea to speak to your doctor so you know that you are being safe. People who have been completely sedentary might find that a few yards of walking is truly exercise at first, and may need longer recovery periods between exercise days.

Muscle soreness--a dull, consistent ache--a day or two after exercise is normal even for people in good shape. It generally improves on its own. Sharp pain or pain that makes it difficult to keep going is NOT normal and means you should stop.
  • StevenLongtin
    Options
    5'10" (was 360 at my highest peak, prior to walking) 25 y/old
    I started just by walking a little extra distance every day about 7-8 months ago, and gradually increasing it. never making myself too uncomfortable. I used to be a gamer prior to that so my butt has seen plenty of chair, hah!. weighing in at 288 now and I can do a little jogging, I bought a gym membership so it's on a treadmill mostly. but I've gotten myself up to 2 mins jogging (5mph) 1 min walking (3mph) back to back up to 30 mins. My first suggestion is get your body used to it, 30 mins a day is all that's required for that. don't jog until you're at a comfortable enough weight where it won't put too much stress on your knees and ankles, you're just going to hurt yourself that way. diet also has a lot to do with how your muscles and joints react. are you getting your minimum 8 glasses of plain water daily? cutting down on sugar intake, particularly in the morning?(fruit is ok, added sugars are not) are you getting protein with every single meal? if your answer is no to any of those 3 questions you can start there. stretching helps, I learned those in school so I just do them naturally. Hope this helps

cheers!
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Icing your shins, knees, ankles (whatever hurts) after you walk will also help. Drinking a protein drink after your walks can also help your muscles recover.

Just keep moving even if iti is slow and somewhat painful. Eventually it will get better and you will be so surprised at how long or how far you can go without discomfort.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would make two a few suggestion, but first CHECK with your doctor to make sure you are ok to start walking, then shoes. The right shoes is going to make all the difference in the world.

Then, I would walk slower and set smaller goals like to the end of the street and back or back and forth to the mailbox and increase from there, as you have to get use to walking and YES everything hurt for me too at 307 walking, my hips my back, my feet went to sleep, numbed up, all of it. Once I adjusted the speed and stopped trying to be a super walk day one, it got better and slowly :O) The pain subsided and my walks got longer.

Another thing I might try is Leslie Sanson walking at home, which is based in house and more walking in place to get your body use to moving around. It seems simple but she is one tuff lady and I had not clue walking at home could burn the calories.

Either way, I say don't give up you will get there, baby steps.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to feel some discomfort when adopting a more active lifestyle.

What kind of shoes are you wearing? A good supportive pair of properly fitting walking shoes (or running shoes) can make a difference.

Your back pain suggests you need to send a few minutes several times a week strengthening your core (assuming there's no other underlying medical condition) here's a link to a core workout (start slowly & build time on planks & reps for bridge etc)

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263--13030-F,00.html

while it is really designed for runners you use pretty much the same muscles walking.

Shins splints are usually a result of lack of adaptation to the new exercise. You may be trying to do too much too fast. Listen to your body (don't let it talk you into giving up....there are times your brain will lie to you) if something hurts (as opposed to mild muscular discomfort) ice it and take some ibuprofen (I've found that eating blueberries on a regular basis helps with inflammation). You can also find stretches that help and exercises like calf raises help too.

It may sound premature but as a man over 40 you should also start strength training (no, you don't need to spend hours at the gym trying to look like Mr. Universe). We start losing lean muscle mass at a rate of about 1% per year once we hit 40 and exercise is the only way to mitigate this loss, there's a considerable body of evidence that suggests many of the indignities suffered as a result of aging can be reduced or avoided altogether through regular physical activity, including strength training.
  • DrJeep
    DrJeep Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to have rather severe back pains especially in my lower back when I walked a lot. Now I have two things that made my walking easier.

1. Other shoes, oddly I don't have any back pains while walking in my New Rocks, other shoes did cause my lower back to hurt. I suppose proper walking boots would do the same for me.

2. Losing weight, and I realize this is a self fulfilling prophecy. When you start losing weight, walking will become easier, you will also build up stamina and endurance, which makes the walking easier, more fun, you'll do more of it (if you want to, I know I did) and in return you exercise more.

My advice, make sure you keep trying, but if the pains become more severe, or debilitating, please do consult a doctor or physician.

Make sure you stay healthy.

Good luck, and feel free to add me if you care for a "walking" buddy. :)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It does get better. Get good shoes for support and moleskin to prevent blisters. Stretch before and after. Drink lots of water. Take it a little at a time. Set a small goal, maybe a mile. When that becomes easy, add another half mile or so until that becomes easy and so on. Listening to music will help you keep pace.

The impact of walking makes my hips and lower back hurt pretty bad (I think I may have an injury from a car wreck but I haven't had it checked out yet so...) I just joined a gym and found that the Arc Trainer works really well for me. I burn the same calories in 1/3 of the time without the impact to my joints. Maybe that is something you could consider if the pain from walking is unbearable.

Despite the pain in my hips and back, I will likely continue to walk every once in a while on nice days, simply because I enjoy it. I like seeing the pretty houses and the trees and landscaping. I like all the different smells of the outdoors. (just don't go on trash pick up day, ew) It's an escape.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The problem is within your shoes.. and make sure you are stretching.