Reaching out for my son

So my 18 yo son is totally in shape, healthy and was due to ship out with the Marines on Sept 17. Sept 4 he got hurt at work..broke the heel bones in both feet. He is currently in a wheelchair until it heals. He is keeping it low key for now but is anxious to do some sort of exercise/activity "to keep fit". Any suggestions on exercises he can do in a wheelchair that we can run past his orthopedic dr for approval? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    I'm no doctor but I don't think he should use his legs at all while his heels are healing. I found this article for some upperbody exercises though! http://exercise.about.com/library/blseatedupperbody.htm I hope that helps :)
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    The orthopod and physio should be able to give him some exercise sheets
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Thanks! I guess I should have specified exercises that DONT use his legs! Thanks again, he and I will check it out when i get home from work and discuss with the orthopedic. don't want to do anything to slow his healing down!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    So my 18 yo son is totally in shape, healthy and was due to ship out with the Marines on Sept 17. Sept 4 he got hurt at work..broke the heel bones in both feet. He is currently in a wheelchair until it heals. He is keeping it low key for now but is anxious to do some sort of exercise/activity "to keep fit". Any suggestions on exercises he can do in a wheelchair that we can run past his orthopedic dr for approval? Thanks in advance!

Check out Richard Simmons Sit & fit workout. I know it's not 18 year old boy cool...but it's something. he can do seated crunches, russian twists, superman, bicycle crunches, wood choppers.

http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/15968075542/a-daily-exercise-plan-do-these-exercises

I am doing this one right now and he can modify things. just because he can stand, doesn't mean he can't work out. He can do seated modified jumping jacks by opening & shutting his legs. Think out of the box. Give him the list and remind him that in the military, you have to figure things out differently sometimes.

Best regards!!
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Thanks all! I caught him doing sit ups today and wheelies in his wheelchair...giving his mother a heart attack