question about goal weight..

Options
So, my goal weight is 140, I am 5" 3'. I have been overweight my entire life and the last time I weighed 140 was when I was 14 years old, do you think it is possible and realistic for me to get to 135-140? My nutritionist was telling me that it wasnt so realistic because the last time I was there was when I was 14, but I feel like my body is changing and the last time I was at the weight I am at now was when I was 16-17. She said it might not be realistic to maintain that weight, but that is the highest healthy weight for my height range.. do u think its realistic... anyone have a similar situation? would love feedback! thanks so much!

Replies

• kulchic72371
    kulchic72371 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Set a goal weight that is realistic for you but isn't out of reach that you will feel defeated and fall back into old habits.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    You were 14 only 7 years ago, that isn't that long ago. Plus thats the highest end of normal BMI for you. I am thinking that's a good goal, and realistic. I would be concerned if your goal was 110.
  • lunnay
    lunnay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It sounds realistic to me. :) Just be sure to celebrate mini-victories until you get there. It will take longer to drop the last pounds, but be sure to keep motivated and work towards your goal.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think that's certainly realistic. If you weighed 200 pounds at age 14, would that not be a realistic goal weight either? The whole age factor makes no sense - it's based on height and body type.
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My best friend is your height, 48 yrs old, and weighs 136 lbs. She looks fantastic.
  • shonovo
    shonovo Posts: 104
    Options
    You were 14 only 7 years ago, that isn't that long ago. Plus thats the highest end of normal BMI for you. I am thinking that's a good goal, and realistic. I would be concerned if your goal was 110.

thank u!! thats what i was thinking, but she was concerned and was wondering if i really was being unrealistic...
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options

THIS :)
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You can maintain a weight in the healthy range, but after being overweight, it might be more difficult than somebody who's never had that issue. I say go for it, and if it's too much of a hassle, let it creep back up to something more doable. I'm still 70 lbs away from just being overweight, but I'm definitely shooting for a much lower number than that. I've never been a "normal" weight, so I don't know what it's like. I'm just going to go for it and see what it's like for a while.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you're 5'3", 140 is completely do-able. I know BMI isn't the best way to figure out how much you should weight, but 140 at your height is barely scraping the "healthy" range. You can probably even go lower.

I'm 6', and I originally thought that a medium-range BMI would be impossible for me. Then I dug deeper, and found out about BF% and how important it was. I want to become extremely fit and active, so a low BF% is what I set my goal to (8-10%). With my current lean mass, that would get me down to about 155-160 lbs (I'm currently 220ish). I'll probably gain a decent amount of muscle between now and then, so that number is subject to change. However, I could be perfectly healthy and weigh that little without exercising. It would put me at a BMI of 21. I'm sure you could do the same, it'll just be a lot harder.

For now, make 140 a goal to reach. It doesn't have to be your final goal, but certainly something attainable.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    There are people on this sight who have lost hundreds of pounds. You are already 1/2 way there. Go for it.
  • shonovo
    Options
    It sounds realistic to me. :) Just be sure to celebrate mini-victories until you get there. It will take longer to drop the last pounds, but be sure to keep motivated and work towards your goal.

thanks so much!!!! :)
  • shonovo
    Options
    You can maintain a weight in the healthy range, but after being overweight, it might be more difficult than somebody who's never had that issue. I say go for it, and if it's too much of a hassle, let it creep back up to something more doable. I'm still 70 lbs away from just being overweight, but I'm definitely shooting for a much lower number than that. I've never been a "normal" weight, so I don't know what it's like. I'm just going to go for it and see what it's like for a while.

i feel the same way!! im definitely willing to go for it :)
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Woah, weird. I am 5'3" and I also started at 192. Right now I'm at 175. I'm aiming for 20% body fat, and not necessarily a scale number. It's a better indicator of fitness. My "goal weight" should be about 146 pounds with the BF percentage I have now.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

I don't think 140 is unrealistic at all. It may take a while, but keep up the great work you've been doing. You've already lost 27 pounds...who is to say you can't lose 25 more? :flowerforyou:
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Im 5'3 as well and looking at your pics, it seems we have about the same build/structure. I personally set my goal weight for 145, just because I dont recall ever seeing that number since my late teens/very early 20's. Im now 31 and have had a child. The lowest I got last year (doing hcg) was 162 and I still thought I was enormous :(

If/when I ever get to 145, I'll reevaluate to what I want to be lower than that, but for now thats what Im shooting for. Everything I see, it has my "normal range: being anywhere from 113-143.

Good luck on your journey and I ditto a previous poster to break it down into mini goals so its not so overwhelming! :)
  • shonovo
    Options
    Woah, weird. I am 5'3" and I also started at 192. Right now I'm at 175. I'm aiming for 20% body fat, and not necessarily a scale number. It's a better indicator of fitness. My "goal weight" should be about 146 pounds with the BF percentage I have now.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

I don't think 140 is unrealistic at all. It may take a while, but keep up the great work you've been doing. You've already lost 27 pounds...who is to say you can't lose 25 more? :flowerforyou:

that is weird... my highest weight was 212 but i started MFP at 192. We have very similar stats!! Thanks so much!!
  • shonovo
    Options
    Im 5'3 as well and looking at your pics, it seems we have about the same build/structure. I personally set my goal weight for 145, just because I dont recall ever seeing that number since my late teens/very early 20's. Im now 31 and have had a child. The lowest I got last year (doing hcg) was 162 and I still thought I was enormous :(

If/when I ever get to 145, I'll reevaluate to what I want to be lower than that, but for now thats what Im shooting for. Everything I see, it has my "normal range: being anywhere from 113-143.

I feel huuuge at 165 (where i am now).. its so tough the self-image stuff... i just keep lying to myself and telling myself i look great... maybe one day i will believe it. I woud love to see the 150s even, and then 140s and take it from there...
  • lcphipps
    Options
    My goal weight is 135-140. I am 5'3. my starting weight was 206. and I'm now 154#s. I am GOING to make it to my goal. I am determined to reach it, and I can visualize myself maintaining that weight if I stay focused.
    You can do anything you want to do.
  • beersrod
    beersrod Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and am at 155ish right now. A few years ago I lost the weight (and obviously got lazy and here I am....) however when I lost it I was 130 and looked great, totally not to thin I had meat on my bones and muscle....so 140 is absolutely realistic and doable. Keep it up you can do it!!
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i'll tell u what i was always told the best weight to set as a goal weight is the last weight u felt healthy and happy. for me that is 120-125 the weight iw as when i got pregnant 25 years ago. its about mid range in my where i should be (94-130) i had maintained that weight from age 11 to 22 when i got pregnant i was happy i was active and felt like i could conquer the world. so if u set 140 got for it. (I'm 5'0 amd a small frame)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" too, and I started at about 172 (I may well have been more!!) and I weighed in at my goal weight of 125 this morning! It has taken a long time, I started losing weight November/December last year, but it is very do-able, just got to not get discouraged when the scale stick - it is hard to lose when you are short!