Eating Out Calorie Estimates

Options
I know it's been covered before, but how do you estimate calories when you eat out? I'm in my 20s, so eating out is a big part of my social life, and I mainly go to local places rather than chains. I always try to estimate food reasonably and then add in extra oil or butter for the cooking. Does anyone have a better way? I understand that this isn't perfect, but nothing is (not even my HRM), so I'm just trying to do the best I can.

Example: Seared Scallops over root vegetable latkes with pancetta lardons, creamed corn, and swiss chard. My estimate: 884
* Allrecipes.Com - Seared Sea Scallops, 6 scallops 269 (recipe included spices and oil)
* Trader Joe's - Potato Latkes, 2 pancakes 140 (couldn't find root vegetable ones, so estimated with potatoes, even if what I eat may be healthier)
* Generic - French Lardons, 56.0 g 169 (I guessed 2 ounces, although if it's a garnish, it may be less than the equiv. of 2-3 strips of bacon)
* Corn - Sweet, yellow, canned, cream style, regular pack, 0.5 cup 92
* Chard - Swiss, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt, 1 cup, chopped 35
* Oil - Olive, 1.5 tablespoon 179 (included extra for cooking the latkes and the chard, in case oil was used)

If portions seem off (e.g. there are 8 scallops or less bacon, etc.), I adjust afterwards and make it up tomorrow.

Anyways, just wanted to share and hopefully get some feedback on the best way to do this!

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I do it similarly... If I'm at a local place that I can't look up their nutrition facts, I'll look up similar dishes and get an average for the dishes I find with the closest ingredients. I also ask that they not cook my vegetables in butter or grease, I'd rather olive oil- it's a tad more measurable that way. Also, stick with tomato based sauces if you're unsure of what the sauce is that's listed on the menu (I ordered a tilapia and steamed vegetable dish that had some sort of sauce listed [sounded like a lemon juice based type] at a local restaurant to discover that it was covered in a white, butter based sauce once it was sitting in front of me :mad: Definitely wasn't any type of lemon juice anything. Last time I take a chance with sauces.)

Also, I try to order things that I some-what know the calorie count for. Example- If I order a salmon/chicken salad, I know the general calorie count for the meats, considering that they're grilled (or poached in the salmon's case). I'll ask for no cheese, and if there are croutons, I take them off. I also like to take a little container of my own dressing if I think that I'll be ordering a salad. Dressings are always unpredictable at restaurants, most are loaded with fat.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    A lot of things are prepared in the same sort of way.

If the place you are going to doesn't have the nutritional information availble in the restaurant or online check one of the chain restaurants.

Don't be worried to ask how the food is prepared! Ask how it is cooked and what is on it if they don't provide that to you. If you want to order something there are tons of ways to have it made healthier and most places are more than willilng to acoomidate requests.

For example, ask for no sauces. Ask for things to be grilled or broiled instead of fried, or pan fried in oil/butter. Ask for dressings on the side for sales. Stay away from anything with cream sauces as they tend to be loaded with calories and fat.

Try to eat out as little as possible since you can control the contents when you eat at home. If your friends like going out what about suggesting dinner at home? Everyone bring a dish or take turns hosting and making dinner. That way you can control what you eat better and even make drinks that are lower calorie.

Also, if you frequent a particular restaurant a lot ask the manager if they have a printout of the nutritional information. Where I am restaurants need to provide that to you if you ask and it's not already readily available.

It's always best to overestimate than underestimate for calories eaten.

There are tons of things to do with friends besides eating out!
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Those are all good tips--and I definitely look at other averages for restaurants (it's easy with things like wings or nachos, but harder with nicer restaurants with unique ingredients). I definitely understand about mystery ingredients! Often when I assume something is one way, it'll come out covered in a cream sauce or something (unlabeled as such, of course). In such a case, I just eat 1/3 of what I was planning to and say oh well!

Also, if I get extra food (e.g. a huge piece of fish), I'll give some to the boyfriend or a friend to keep portions under control (or take it home if it's that big, although the nicer the restaurant, the less likely they are to do things to go).

I'd like to lose about ten pounds, but I've never really had the problem of gaining weight while eating out; I just eat healthier during the day and work out harder to even it out. I'd much rather do that than feel deprived.