Biggest Loser competition at work - advice?

We are having a biggest loser competition at work starting today. Whoever loses the biggest percentage of weight by Oct 31st wins. Wish me luck! My wife and I have been doing the Atkins thing for a while now but have been on a plateau for several months. I'm using this as a motivator to get back on our weight loss because there is a pretty good cash prize.

The winner will be determined by percentage of weight lost - does anyone have any tips? I know muscle weighs more than fat so should I avoid weight training and do only cardio?
I know doing sit ups can help with the waist line but will it also help lose body fat/weight?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also - what would a reasonable loss be in 7 weeks?
To lose 10% I would have to drop 29 lbs

Replies

• Depending on the amount of money I would stop eating, dry out and starve yourself skinny, you'll gain weight after its done but you'll have a pocket full of cash.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat and sit ups will not help the waist line.

I would start by getting your facts right. I am not saying that to be rude but knowledge is power. Atkins is a temporary diet. That is probably why you stopped losing. Check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz26GTpl429 if you are into the low carb eating plan. It will give you much better long term results and also help you out with a fitness plan.

I won my work biggest loser contest last January-March. That is actually what kick-started my whole year so it was a really great thing. Buy a heart rate monitor. I know your goal is to get $$ so spending money seems crazy but it'll be a tool that assists you throughout your weight loss journey. I got mine at target for $70. Make sure it has a chest strap. A heart rate monitor will tell you exactly how many calories you are burning when you are working out. That way you can know exactly how many calories to eat. Figure out your BMR at fat2fitradio.com/tools. Eat your BMR and the exercise cals back if you want, or don't. I never did and lost more weight that way. People will throw in the phrase "starvation mode" but your not going to go into starvation mode. That would only happen if you had like 8% body fat. Stay clear of high sodium foods, they will cause water retention and it'll reflect on the scale.

The night b4 the final weigh in, Take a huge crap, take an epsom salt bath, sleep in sweats and don't drink any water til after the weigh in. :)
  • Whitty1982
    Whitty1982 Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks for the replies! So far I'm down 6lbs from last week's weigh in - just walked more than I normally do and watched my calorie/carb intake. Just hope I can keep the momentum up!