Runners! When do you hit your stride?

Options
2»

Replies

• katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    On a long run it takes about 3 or more miles. This could be partly my mindset as I could be fearing what is still to come. Or it could be that I set my pace much slower which feels slow therefore struggly.

On a short run I can set off quite quickly and feel warmed up and into my stride straight away.

This morning I did 24 miles. I ran 3 miles to meet my friend, then we had a 20 minute car journey, then we ran another 21. The fear of what I had to do made the first 3 miles a little stressy, then I started to enjoy it. Sooo glad its all over now though (as are my now gros feet :ohwell:
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Lately it's been around miles 3-4. Mile 2 is not shabby, mile 1 is still just horrible right now, but I'm working on it.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    depends on how far i plan on running and of course other factors like energy level, weather..etc.
    however, it usually takes me till mile 2 to get in the groove.
    if i tell myself i'm going for a short run 3-5 miles then end up running more i'm hitting my groove sooner.
    if i say i'm doing 6-11 miles it takes a me till at least 3 miles to hit my groove.
    all i know is that the first 1/4 mile is the hardest and i just keep telling myself to go :)
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    On a long run it takes about 3 or more miles. This could be partly my mindset as I could be fearing what is still to come. Or it could be that I set my pace much slower which feels slow therefore struggly.

On a short run I can set off quite quickly and feel warmed up and into my stride straight away.

This morning I did 24 miles. I ran 3 miles to meet my friend, then we had a 20 minute car journey, then we ran another 21. The fear of what I had to do made the first 3 miles a little stressy, then I started to enjoy it. Sooo glad its all over now though (as are my now gros feet :ohwell:

24 miles! impressive. I'm looking forward to the day I can run 24 miles :)
  • kathijen
    kathijen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The first mile I wish I was dead, mile 2 and 3 are usually not horrible and if I make it past there I feel like I could run all day. This is why running is so addicting!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    1.5 to 2.75 miles for me
  • Jess22542
    Options
    For me, it;'s about 10 minutes into my run. I think that's when my muscles are completely warmed up and my heart rate stabilizes at the higher rate.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Miles 6-8 always feel pretty good. Guess that's my sweet spot. i think my optimal race distance is 10K, but i usually do half marathons. If the temperature is above 75 degrees, every mile is tough.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    For me, most days, doesn't matter if it's a long run or short run, I generally feel warmed up and in my groove after the first mile, mile and a half. Now if I'm feeling a little off - too little sleep or an extra glass of wine the night before :) - then it might take me til 2.5-3 miles to hit my stride. I'm sure it varies a lot by individual, though!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on a number of factors, including whether or not I have my i-pod charged, if I'm running alone or with someone (my brother is my running buddy), the weather, and the time of day!

But usually, I find the first one or two miles always the hardest! At around mile 3 I kind of fall into a trance, and on days when I make it to mile 6 I'm usually feeling really happy and am smiling ear to ear. X Runners feel free to add me, I'm only really getting into it recently and have only done one race so far, but its the best hobby I've ever picked up. I love it.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    At around 3 miles in... the first 1.5 miles is the hardest for me.. when i hit 3 miles, i can feel the endorphins kick in.. my breathing is steady and my legs keep to the beat of my music.. i make sure i have some awesome tunes in my ipod to pick me up and keep me going... a lot about running for me has to do with the music... :D

^^^ This is me as well. :smile:
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    If the temperature is above 75 degrees, every mile is tough.

DEFINITELY agree with this. I struggle with heat/humidity every summer. You'd think I'd get used to it, since it gets hot and humid every summer in SW Ohio, and I do adapt somewhat. But I think I struggle more with hot weather runs than some folks. I just have a lot more fun when it's 70 or cooler. :)
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Usually around 20 minutes, regardless of how I am pacing that day.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way! Just plan to run a negative split. Run slower your first half of the race then ramp it up for the last 1/2 after you feel the rhythm. A lot of racers do that.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    First mile is always total crap and a storm of wheezing, but after that, my breathing levels out, I fall into stride and just go.

Still slow as molasses but I like the distance more than the speed.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I never feel like I am in the groove until mile 3-4. I thought this would get better with time, but it never has....so I'm figuring that is just the way it is going to be. This is the reason why I don't do many 5ks, and like 10ks and halfs!
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    OK. I used to run track, cross country, marathons, etc. back when 15 miles a day was nothing. But that was 30 years ago. So, at 50 I find myself just working up to 4 mile runs, lol.

But, one thing that has become more important to me now is having a proper warm up. I notice a huge difference during all parts of my run when I do and when I don't warm up. It seems to serve as a foundation and base for my run that day and its effects last all the way to the end. That dreaded first mile is much more pleasant and near the end of my run I feel exhilerated and have to force myself to stop WHEN AND ONLY WHEN I did a good warm up. I'm not talking much. Just some basic stretches (done very gently since I'm well aware you really shouldn't stretch cold muscles and tendons) and then a brisk walk then slow jog- at about 1/2 mile I then turn on the stopwatch and kick it. I know there are a lot of variables, shoes, company, mood, hydration, weather, time of day, etc. but this seems to have the most impact on me right now.

You could also be hitting a conditioning plateau. So, there will be a few days or weeks that are harder as you butt up against the plateau but after you bust through it this will go away to reveal your next plateau that is a few miles further.
  • laurcampbell
    laurcampbell Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am with you - no matter what distance I set out for 5k or 22 miles it takes me at least 3 miles before I hit my stride and feel ready to rock and roll
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Yup :) it's usually around the 3 mile mark for me! The girl I do races with loves 5k's and I'm not a fan (so as not to lose a running buddy, I do a 2 mile warm up run before I do the 5k races). I also noticed that at mile 7 I get another endorphin boost! :)