Food suggestions?

Yesterday my husband and I had to wake up at 3:30am to drive up to Chicago (and then back again the same day). Needless to say, it was a long day with many hours spent driving. Because of time constraints we ate breakfast AND lunch in the car as we drove. Our food and exercise for the day was a disaster! I think we were both 400-500 calories over our allowance!

Anyone have favorite foods that are healthy, low in calories and good for when you're on the go/traveling?

Anyone have snack/meal suggestions that are healthy but also not messy or perishable?

Any pre-made or packaged foods/brands that you have found are convenient but still fit into a diet?

I would love to hear your suggestions!

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    I travel a lot, and have hypoglycemia so good food is necessary for me not to become a raving lunatic.

I often pick up jerky, split it with the BF, or KIND bars (ones with almonds/nuts), apples, bananas, I'll make almond butter and banana sandwiches, salads with solid veggies like cucumber, carrots, broccoli (tomatoes can be squished too easily if the container is rocked around too much, learned that the hard way), bring a gallon of water (usually 80cents at grocery stores).

I do expect to go over when I"m traveling, it's stressful, I do the best I can and leave it at that!
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    When we traveled across the country via train recently, I packed enough snack foods and stuff before I left to sustain me through the trip. I just basically packed a serving size of whatever it was that I chose to take in a ziploc bag and whenever I got hungry I ate. If we are traveling by car, we like to stop and eat at a sit down restaurant if possible because they tend to have healthier choices. It is kinda hard to stay under while traveling.
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    I recently took a 12 hour long trip and I ate while my companion was driving, I took individual containers of Greek yogurt and baggies of sliced fruit and veggies (cucumbers, pepper strips, carrot and celery sticks). I took nuts, hummus, dip, string cheese, Baby Bell's, and some whole grain crackers. I took individual servings of peanut butter and bread (and a plastic knife) to assemble a sandwich to go along with milk purchased at a "pit stop." Sometimes I purchased popcorn if it was available. My meals tended to more "hearty snacks" eaten more frequently but it worked pretty well for me.
  • mq68
    mq68 Posts: 118 Member
    Just spent 20 days on road trip across western and central U.S, sight seeing and hiking. I packed a cooler full of fruits, vegetables, and nuts. I brought water, 100% juice and soy protein powder drink mix. I did stop on two occasions to get a steak. However, it is somewhat easy for me because I am allergic to gluten, (rye, wheat, barley) corn, eggs, dairy and rice. So I have been eating more of a paleo diet for almost a year now.