Eggs & Oatmeal for breakfast

Options
So on all bodybuilding websites the people say they eat Oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast....but how actually are they cooking these?? Together?? It sounds disgusting...am i missing something here?

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else but I sure as heck don't mix the two... lol I have my oatmeal in a bowl with milk and brown sugar and I prefer egg beaters and make them scrambled with some peppers and onions and mushrooms... Best of Luck
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    Living in the barracs I'm not allowed to use a hot tray but I do use my Microwave. 2 egg whites 2 whole eggs scramble, add some chopped onions/tomatoes and put in microwave container heat up for 3 min, mix, heat up 1 min. bam not the best tasting but it does its job. Oats I eat red mill steel cuts about 1/2 cup uncooked add water heat up 1 min and bam. Eggs and Oats.

The oats plain are pretty gross I haved cooked the two together and I liked it but to his is own I guess, also I have cooked plain oats and added 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (stole the recipe from p90x) lol
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    I guess I kinda skipped your question no they aren't mixing them (but you can) lol
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Instead of egg whites for protein, I usually just mix steel cut oats, milk and some protein powder.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I dunno about bodybuilding websites, but I have done the following

Steel cut oats boiled in water
    with 2 fried eggs on top (just use a bit of butter)

So I cook them separately. And keep the yolk a bit runny and top it all with some salt and pepper, mmm.....
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I cook egg whites into the oats when cooking them. Add a little cinnamon and a scoop of peanut butter. Delicious! Don't knock it until you try it! :)
  • sarahbeanz
    sarahbeanz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did think it seemed a bit weird. Not sure i can eat both for brekkie. I'll either have either one or the other...
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I do both; sometimes I cook oatmeal and egg whites separately, and then add them together (I sweeten it all up with stevia and cinnamon, and it's delish!)

Right now I am on a business trip and so my options for cooking in my hotel are limited. I've been making a sort of microwave souffle of sorts, and it's actually really tasty!

I mix my oatmeal with water and cook it in a microwave safe bowl for about 1.5 minutes until it's just thickened. Then, I add in 3 egg whites and stir the whole thing up like crazy --I also add cinnamon and stevia to the mix. After that I cook it for about 2-2.5 minutes in the microwave without stirring it. It puffs up into what I can best describe as a souffle or bread pudding texture, and it's awesome.

I add 16g/1 TBS of almond butter on top, and then dig in!
  • Kristy161089
    Options
    I do both as well. You can have them separate or mixed into your oats. Mixing them in doesn't really add a taste but it feels you up cos of the extra protein... I normally cook my oats as normal and at the end throuroughly mix in the egg whites and then microwave for a bit.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else but I sure as heck don't mix the two... lol I have my oatmeal in a bowl with milk and brown sugar and I prefer egg beaters and make them scrambled with some peppers and onions and mushrooms... Best of Luck

311 lbs lost. Wow. I am so impressed.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    My ex used to pour liquid egg whites into a cup and chug it. I wanted to vomit every time I witnessed that.. The only thing that came to my mind: SNOT.

Then he'd follow it with a packet of oatmeal, made with minimal water.

(Edited for typo correction.)
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I mix them sometimes. But I prefer them separate.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Ill do an egg white omelette or hard boiled egg whites. Then seperately I will have oatbran and some berries. xx
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Mixing eggs into one's oats is very common. It makes the oatmeal a bit custard-like and add alot of protein. Think of it as an oat souffle. As someone else put it nicely, don't knock it until you try it. It's quite common out here on the east coast.

If you think about it, this is not that much different from bread pudding. You can add a little nutmeg and cinnamon and some raisins for a real treat too.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    1/4 c. quickoats
    1 egg (I use whole eggs, not just whites)
    Handful of berries
    Stevia to taste
    Mix in a mug and micro for 1:30 or so. Makes kind of an eggy muffin. Very yummy. I like to do blueberries or chopped frozen peaches
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I have oatmeal and eggs for breakfast. I eat the eggs separately as boiled. For the oatmeal, I add coconut, cinnamon and chocolate chips to it.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    eggs (1 whole, 2 whites) - make an omelet with some lean ham, spinach, grape tomatoes and pepperjack or feta cheese
    oatmeal - have in bowl with pat of butter, cinnamon, and vanilla almond milk (unsweet)

compliment with coffee to your taste

I have it every morning
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Bumpin for breakfast ! I used to eat oats but then the carbs are sorta high :(
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I dunno about bodybuilding websites, but I have done the following

Steel cut oats boiled in water
    with 2 fried eggs on top (just use a bit of butter)

So I cook them separately. And keep the yolk a bit runny and top it all with some salt and pepper, mmm.....

Dang...that actually sounds really good. And yes, don't waste those precious egg yolks, they are full of nutrients!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Bumpin for breakfast ! I used to eat oats but then the carbs are sorta high :(

oatmeal is the most over rated food on the planet,

it tastes crappy unless you add stuff to it. what is the point? a bunch of carbs...big deal. I eat for taste and enjoyment.

there is nothing special about oatmeal.

give me 6 eggs any style and 8 slices of bacon. BAM!