quitting smoking

Options
I really want to quit smoking but I am afraid that it will make me gain weight that I have worked so hard to take off. Does smoking have any effect on your metabolism?

Replies

• tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I am scared to quit now, its a horrible feeling!
  • PetraCore
    PetraCore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately yes. Your metabolism is higher when you smoke because your immune system is working harder around the clock to fight off infection. I quit 9 years ago, and to be perfectly honest I did replace smoking with food and managed to gain quite a bit weight before having a friend drag me to a WW meeting and I weighed myself for the first time in maybe 5 years (I grew up not really thinking about my weight). I really wish I had been paying attention and I am sure that I would have made smarter choices when dealing with quitting smoking.
    The good news is that you already have a good support system and are aware of what you are facing. So hopefully you won't suffer the same problems that I did. Good Luck! I know how hard it is, I also know it's possible.
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    I quit smoking 5 years ago. I was able to lose faster when I quit bc it was easier for me to run and workout.

Quitting smoking doesn't make a person gain weight... calories make a person gain. You'd have to find something other than food to compensate for the stress relief. My suggestion would be to chew gum, workout, call someone, pick up a hobby to keep your hands busy. If you work where people smoke... don't be around them on smoke breaks- that will only make it harder. If you have family members that smoke- try not to be around them when they light up.

It's tough- really tough. But, it's so worth it when you get past the initial stages. Imagine all the money you save. And, the health benefits.

Plus, in my opinion, a smoker is more likely to be overweight than under bc of the sedentary lifestyle they are prone to lead. The only thin ones I see are the ones that are sick and older or of course the already thin newbies. Sorry to be so blunt... but, it's true.
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Do it people!!! Lol I gained like two pounds tops. I quit august 1st this year. I over ate a tiny bit but by mid September I was lower than august 1st. It is so worth it I promise. I feel great and don't muss the smell at all. It is hard at first but you soon get there x :)
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    Girls, I completely understand. I long feared to quit because I was afraid I'd gain weight and, well, the first ime around, I did gain about 10 pounds in 6 months. I didn't pay any attention to what I ate and didn't chance a thing to my lifestyle. That completely depressed me and I started smoking again, thinking those extra pounds would magically vanish away - doh. Of course they didn't.

Last February I stopped smoking for good (with aid, a new med call Champix - did amazing for me !) and this time I was definitely decided I would NOT put on any weight. I slowly started working out and exercising. I was oh so sedentary for sooo many years. I was really excited to see my breathing capacity increase and see I was able to do a little more every week ! By April I was able to jump into a demanding cardio program. Since I quit somoking, I have improved my health so much ! I've lost a little over 15 pounds in total, I have develop great muscles and I now too enjoy mountain hicking, bicycle riding, cross-country skiing and all those activity I would say "no thanks" just a few months ago, because I knew I'd be out of breath in a matter of minutes.

Go girls, you can do it !!!
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I would just say to those of you who are scared to quit:

First of all I looked at your profile's and saw beautiful families; Do this for them, I know they want you around for a long long time. Put into practice the things you have learned at MFP and like another poster said find something else to do. It may be the hardest thing you ever do but I agree that it will be worth it.

I watched my FIL suffer & die from lung cancer. Please, please don't do that to your precious families.

Cindy
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that it effects your metabolism but the benefits of quitting far outweigh any negatives. I quit in April because I knew there was no way I would make my goal of running a 1/2 marathon if I didn't. I haven't gained any weight as a result but I did try to recognize my cravings for what they are and consciously made an effort not to replace smokes with food. I also had to temporarily cut out all alcohol since for me the 2 were closely associated. I was surprised at how quickly I felt the benefits of quitting. I was sleeping better, food tasted better and I was able to stop taking my asthma medication. I will admit that there are some days that I miss it, but then I remember how good it felt to cross that finish line on race day. You can do this and trust me it will be the most rewarding thing you can do for yourself and your family. Even if you gain a few pounds who cares. You can always lose those. Good luck :smile:
  • timmijop
    timmijop Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much!!! I am going to nip this in the butt!!! I had quit while I was pregnant and then a few months ago (guess you really cant call it quit when you start again) I let the stress of my life get the better of me. I know with smoking you body doesnt create the proper hormones/receptors that you need to deal with stressful situations so you rely on nicotine to replace those. Once you quit your body will start to reproduce those.

I congratulate you all in your succuess in defeating this addiction!!

I do want to be there for my family for a very long time!! I have had family pass away from lung cancer as well, you would think that would scare the Cig out of your hand, but it didnt. I feel selfish for wasting my families money and my health on cigarettes!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Quitting smoking slows the metabolism for a short time after quitting however it evens itself back out on its own. Alot of people make the mistake of replacing the smoking with food which with a slowed metabolism and extra calories that person would gain weight. The key is to watch your diet and keep with exercise and you will be fine. And if you do gain a couple of pounds once your metabolism levels back out they will be gone and you will have made your body healthier by not smoking.