Chocolate???!!!

Options
At night I always crave chocolate, and I usually have some to quiet down my craving (but then again, who really stops craving chocolate?). Its what I think is just a normal serving (i.e hand-full of m&m's, a cookie, a couple hersey's kisses). I know that I should stay away from junk at night, especially because i tend to night binge and it is then hard to burn off. however I know that my craving will only continue to grow if i ignore it.

I'm stuck in a slump! Chocolate and sweets are holding me back from reaching my calorie goals for the day!! I need help!!

Please give me any suggestions you have.

Replies

• auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate. I think it's lower calories, and it's definately better for you, and I've noticed that unless I'm doing emotional eating, it cuts down on the amount I crave also. Takes some getting used to, but there are good kinds out there that are more tolerable to a milk chocolate eater. I like the Xocai nuggets, you have to special order them, but they taste really good to me. You can google them if you've never heard of it before. I've also taken a liking to Hershey's with blueberries and nut chunks in it (sorry, I forgot the name of the bar, but it has pictures of berries and nuts on the bar, lol) and those are in stores. When I'm doing emotional eating, I try to go to the dark chocolate, but I've got a sweet tooth also, so I eat the bad for you stuff just because it tastes so darn good! Good luck!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it? I mean I don't have any chocolate at my apartment...so even if I crave it, I don't eat it.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i'm young enough where i still live with my parents. my mom filled up the candy bowls today and i tried to get her to take it away!! lol but the bowls just stare at me...

At least the bowls are filled with dark chocolate kisses and m&m's...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    i'm young enough where i still live with my parents. my mom filled up the candy bowls today and i tried to get her to take it away!! lol but the bowls just stare at me...

At least the bowls are filled with dark chocolate kisses and m&m's...

Ohhh..see I moved out when I was 18 haha...after that I couldn't afford the sweets even if I wanted them! :tongue: Now that I'm visiting I am inundated with baked cheese poofs, nutella, ice cream, candy cane sandwich cookies, Christmas cookies...I just don't look at them. Or I allow myself to have a serving within my calories and work out like a fiend. The holidays are tough.
  • sandrabutterfly
    Options
    I say dont deny your craving.
    Have a couple of tablespoons of chocolate chips and eat them slow. That should satify your craving
    I also agree on having dark chocolate some brands are not too good
    Lindt and Cot d'or 75% are great
    Good luck and Merry Christmas
  • tmperez79
    Options
    I would suggest, being someone who is really having to work hard to get to a normal or just above normal weight, that you keep your calories light during the day. I also have issues with cravings and stuff like that and fighting the feeling that I am being deprived. I have come a long way in controlling my calorie intake, etc without feeling like I am starving. I have learned that if I am very, very careful with breakfast and lunch, etc, I find I have so many extra calories in the evening that most days I dont use them up. For instance, I am allowed 1900 calories a day, I will eat a 400 cal breakfast, 400 cal lunch and then have 1100 left over for dinner and snack. I know its not good to eat heavily at night, but if you are looking to have a 100 calorie sweet fix, you wont screw yourself up by saving those calories from your breakfast and lunch. Its a whole other story if you are saving 400-500 calories for late night, then I think youre asking for trouble.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you can't get away from it, then suggest buying dark chocolate when your folks go grocery shopping. It has a richer flavor, and it's actually quite good for you as far as antioxidants & stuff go.
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat that you are in, and yesterday while at the store, I found 100 calorie pack Smores. They were really like little chocolate covered rice cakes, but it really hit the spot for my crave!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, get dark, good quality, expensive chocolate. It's a treat, not a staple (I can't believe I'm saying this :noway: ). If you're craving the cheap stuff you're likely craving sugar. You can change your taste buds but it may take time.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am the same. My other half keeps bringing goodies home from the office and it has been difficult to say the least. (especially those peanut butter cookies with the hershey kiss in the middle...OMG they are sooooo good!) I settled on 2 bite size 3 musketeer bites and some hot tea. I ate them really slow and sipped the tea along with each bite. Totally satisfying but only 52 calories.

I agree, dark chocolate is best but with this time of year it can get hard to be that choosy (sp?) Just make sure you are sitting down and enjoying your "treat", not walking by the candy dish swiping a handful at each pass. Also, make sure that you log it in. There is no better form of willpower then accountability. :wink:
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    From one sugar fiend to another: denying yourself will just create a "taboo" mentality--you'll only want it more. Eat some d*** chocolate. The world won't end if you do. Promise. :laugh:

For me, the trick to satisying the chocolate craving has been to combine chocolate with other things. This way, I'm seeing to my nutritional needs along with my more emotional ones. If I want chocolate, I'll put a few dark chocolate chips and some granola in a low-fat yogurt or slice up half an apple and cover a few slices with peanut butter and a few slices with nutella (yum!). I also make a pretty mean mole sauce to dress up chicken and rice. Yes, I'm eating a bit of chocolate: I'm also eating fruit or dairy and getting protein or fiber, so the calories I'm consuming aren't a total wash.

Just be smart about what you put in your mouth. If you eat half a bag of M&M's, you're not going to feel good or feel good about yourself. Everything in moderation. Good luck & enjoy the holidays! :flowerforyou:
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from, I recently moved back in with my parents. Have a chat with your mom and ask her to hide the candy. My mom did this for me. Explain how hard you're trying to get toward your goals and how you just can't get your cravings under control.

Some chocolate suggestions: dark chocolate (don't go buy a big bag of individual chocolate though if you don't think you can eat only a couple ), jello pudding snacks ( sugar free & 60 calories! ) OR you could try a protein bar. I eat them all the time and it's much better than a candy bar.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If it's just the chocolate flavor you're craving, you might try those individual servings of Jell-o chocolate pudding. Or, if you can get your hands on some dark chocolate covered almonds, you get protein, fiber, and your chocolate fix in one sitting. Plus, research has shown that crunchy foods satisfy your cravings better. You could also melt down some dark chocolate in the microwave and dip a banana in it. Or any other fruit you want, but bananas are remarkably filling.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I used to get the 100 calorie packs of Chocolate Chex mix, and then you can have 1 bag, 100 calories, count the calories, and when you're done with the bag you're done eating it. However, if it has to be a chocolate piece of candy (hershey kiss, etc), find out a serving size, and put it in a snack baggie, and that's your treat for the day, make sure you count it though. I agree, the more you make it TABOO, the more you'll concentrate on how much you want what you can't have. That's the whole "moderation" thing everyone talks about - 1 serving, and you'll be good. SAVOR that serving too - sit and enjoy what you're eating.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, forgot - No Sugar Added Swiss Miss - 1 packet is 60 calories. Definitely an "affordable" chocolate! ;)