Metabolism checked...1000 cals a day!!!! HOW?

Options
2»

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I got tested in January via a very similar method. Mine was 864 (or 846 I can't remember). I basically decided that at 5'3, 120 pounds that was just far too unhealthy of a metabolism. So I made the conscious decision to eat more and "fix" my metabolism. I have gained, but I am a lot healthier now...I haven't had it re-checked but I'm nearly positive that it has increased based on how much I am eating and the fact that I'm no longer gaining. I'm basically at a plateau, which is fine because in the long-run I will be healthier.

Oh and I did have a healthy metabolism, until I trained for my first full marathon last year and couldn't eat enough of my calories back. Now I'm training for marathon #2 and will try and re-lose those 5-6 pounds gained resetting my metabolism post-marathon.

You sound like a very well educated woman. How great that you realized that when you metabolism is so low that you are not as healthy as you could be. Good job fixing it. It certainly explains why you have to begin eating well to start losing weight and maintaining the loss. You just made my day. I have been a lifelong yo yo dieter. No matter how little I ate, I could not lose and keep the weight off. Now (following helloitsdan's road map) I have slowly upped my calories to 1600 (amazing to me) and I am still losing each week. I am hoping that this is fixing my metabolism as well. Thanks for being on this site today! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • bertabird
    Options
    The amount of calories eaten does not a diet plan make. If you want to lose weight you should consider a possible change in your carbohydrate and sugar intake. I don't know ANYONE who is losing weight in a healthy way who is eating 1000 calories a day. It's not the calories that get you, it's the fats and carbs. Make sure you include high fiber foods in your diet and stay away from processed foods. Include GOOD fats into your diet (lean meats, fish, and nuts). Your liver processes all the garbage out of your blood as well as it processes excess fat out of your fat storages, therefore, if you eat a lot of "carby foods" or foods containing aspartame or phenylalamine (spelling?) or even processed foods, your liver has to take extra time to process it. If your liver is working hard on processing those things, when will have time to process fat from your body? Are you exercising? Wanna lose weight? Lift some! If not, do so, and make sure to eat some of those calories back. And don't forget, muscle weighs more than fat. Fat is voluminous and muscle is dense, so if you are exercising and gaining weight, you are probably gaining muscle. Also, a tip: Calculate your NET CARBS. Carbohydrates minus Fiber equals NET CARBS. THAT is what you should be calculating, not calories. Do the research before you condemn me. I don't know you, but I have been in the same boat for most of my life. However, I did the research and began my new food and life style changes in April. I am down 47 pounds since April. Not bad. Do the research and the math, you might be pleasantly surprised. If this has been tried by you, then I sincerely apologize and please don't take offense. It just makes me furious when supposed health professionals give misinformation. Be informed, knowledge IS power.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've had 680 cals today and still have dinner to go...no hunger at all. High fat, high protein, low carb will keep you full on fewer calories. By the way, I'm not trying to keep my calories so low, I'm just full!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I got tested in January via a very similar method. Mine was 864 (or 846 I can't remember). I basically decided that at 5'3, 120 pounds that was just far too unhealthy of a metabolism. So I made the conscious decision to eat more and "fix" my metabolism. I have gained, but I am a lot healthier now...I haven't had it re-checked but I'm nearly positive that it has increased based on how much I am eating and the fact that I'm no longer gaining. I'm basically at a plateau, which is fine because in the long-run I will be healthier.

Oh and I did have a healthy metabolism, until I trained for my first full marathon last year and couldn't eat enough of my calories back. Now I'm training for marathon #2 and will try and re-lose those 5-6 pounds gained resetting my metabolism post-marathon.

You sound like a very well educated woman. How great that you realized that when you metabolism is so low that you are not as healthy as you could be. Good job fixing it. It certainly explains why you have to begin eating well to start losing weight and maintaining the loss. You just made my day. I have been a lifelong yo yo dieter. No matter how little I ate, I could not lose and keep the weight off. Now (following helloitsdan's road map) I have slowly upped my calories to 1600 (amazing to me) and I am still losing each week. I am hoping that this is fixing my metabolism as well. Thanks for being on this site today! :smile: :flowerforyou:

Well thanks for that! Totally unexpected compliment (and on my birthday of all days) :happy: There is a lot of nonsense information out there, but if you look hard enough you will find the quality information on resetting your metabolism - which is not some magic diet, contrary to what some companies are pushing! Hope it continues to work for you!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    wish there was a way to get metabolism tested around here...

Are you sure there isn't? Many universities with exercise science programs have the capabilities to do so. Exercise physiologists (which is how I got mine tested) are a good resource, and you can also contact Registered Dieticians (aka nutritionists with credentials) to see if they do it or if they know where to find it.