Why did I Wait So Long?!?!?!

Options
I was getting weary of the WW plan and their app I had been using was having issues. I hung on and hung on with guilt over quitting the plan and payments as I had stalled on my weight loss. I don't want to place all of the blame as I'm accountable for what I eat.

I did not think there could possibly be another tracking app that could compare to one from a company with 2 billion dollars in revenue. I was wrong. The MFP app has all the tools I need and is so much faster and easier to use. So far more information on foods/restaurants that I can see.

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I ask myself the same question. I should have started right after the Christmas holidays instead of in May. But at least I did start. And kudos to you for doing the same!! Welcome to MFP!!
  • Abbygrlbff
    Abbygrlbff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. I started my journey on Weight Watchers, but I have had a lot more success on MFP.
  • Angellady65
    Angellady65 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did WW four years ago and loss 60lb the first time doing the point system. I even bought the books and counter. Well, I went to start it again and the whole points system had totally changed and I had to buy a new counter and new books..and the new points system just did not work for me, like the old one did. I tried for 3 weeks and not only didn't lose weight, I gained. I would have gone back to the old way but they changed the points on all their products so that you could not use the old way. Counting Calories using MFP has been so much easier for me and is working..
  • Hulbert0089
    Hulbert0089 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The points plus conversion was annoying. Without a doubt there was some motivation on their part to change the platform and sell new product.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

First off, I'd say the lack of info on WW is probably because they want you to only eat their products which increases their profit margin. Personally, I'm not of fan of prepackaged frozen meals. I prefer to make my own food so that I know exactly what goes into them and I am not eating anything that I cannot identify or pronounce (like weird unnatural preservatives or excess sodium) . I have control over what I put into my own body. MFP allows you to create your own recipes and figure the calories per serving. If you are using a product not listed in the MFP database, you can add it using the info on the package in front of you. It's tedious but worth the effort.

I highly recommend that you do some research and get an accurate measure of your body and the calories it requires as MFP tends to set everyone at 1200 calories per day. I don't think this is right for everyone. A good place to start is fat2fitradio.com. They offer calculators for figuring body fat percentages, BMR, and calories needed per day.

Other members will be more than happy to offer advice (good and bad) but research everything and do what you feel is smartest and healthiest.

Good luck to you on your fitness journey.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. This is an awesome tool.

Many people out on the forum are vulgar, vicious, and mean but other than that the tool is awesome and you meet a lot of nice people here.
  • alw141
    alw141 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. I started my journey on Weight Watchers, but I have had a lot more success on MFP.

Same for me! Loving MFP. :love:
  • sandilee27
    sandilee27 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! I was spending a fortune to go to WW and then someone suggested I look into this. I logged both places for a few weeks and found that this was so much easier .... and free!! I love it
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've done WW on and off for as long as I can remember. I've been through so many of their program changes too! I really like MFP waaaay better than their online site and I have found (several times over) that the support here is so much better -- and it's FREE!

Feel free to add me as a friend. This is a great place to track and get support while still being accountable to yourself and your success.

Good luck!
  • Hulbert0089
    Options
    Welcome!

First off, I'd say the lack of info on WW is probably because they want you to only eat their products which increases their profit margin. Personally, I'm not of fan of prepackaged frozen meals. I prefer to make my own food so that I know exactly what goes into them and I am not eating anything that I cannot identify or pronounce (like weird unnatural preservatives or excess sodium) . I have control over what I put into my own body. MFP allows you to create your own recipes and figure the calories per serving. If you are using a product not listed in the MFP database, you can add it using the info on the package in front of you. It's tedious but worth the effort.

I highly recommend that you do some research and get an accurate measure of your body and the calories it requires as MFP tends to set everyone at 1200 calories per day. I don't think this is right for everyone. A good place to start is fat2fitradio.com. They offer calculators for figuring body fat percentages, BMR, and calories needed per day.

Other members will be more than happy to offer advice (good and bad) but research everything and do what you feel is smartest and healthiest.

Good luck to you on your fitness journey.

I did the fat2fitradio calculation and it suggested 2200 calories when the MFP plan suggested 1700 to lose 1.5 lbs. per week.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was looking at WW the same day I looked at MFP. I despise WW for being annoying, hard to figure out, and they keep changing the program! Converting what I ate to points is nonsense for me. It is SO much easier to track the calories of what I ate, than convert and weigh things to points. Plus it is FREE and I wholey like the people over HERE than the people over THERE. No offense to past WW members- but this seems to be a rag tag group who are serious about weight loss, and the level of commitment seems higher, as well as the level of support you get here vs WW. I will never use WW again- why would I when MFP is better, and free!
  • kanittaj
    kanittaj Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was actually wondering how the 2 systems compared because I was gonna try WW. Happy that a friend recommended MFP to me. I'm losing, while being conscious about the food that I eat. I Love this site and the people that I have met throughout my journey. LOVE MFP!!!
  • Hulbert0089
    Options
    Down 3.2 last week! 18.4 total. About half way.
  • FunkiiSamii
    Options
    Hoping i can get some motivation i did WW last year and lost a stone, but put it all back on with in 3 months. Hope this site can help, i was a member before but the person who introduced me to MFP was very un supportive when i stopped logging for a few days as i was having some personal issues so i ended up just giving up. 2012 was a really bad year for me and my family, so hoping i can find support and new friends on here! heres to 2013 been a good year and good weight loss!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I also did the WW plan. It was just too expensive for me to continue. I then had heard about this site and switched over...haven't looked back either. This place is amazing.