Full/Half Marathon

Options
Has anyone here run a half or full marathon? If so how long do you train for it? Any advice etc...

Replies

• 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have done plenty of both. There are several excellent training programs out there. Find one that starts at a place that matches your current running conditioning. Two things that helped me the most. One; actually registering for a marathon then telling my friends about it. (this helped my training motivation) and Two; placing value in proper rest and recovery. Knowing when to push it and when to back off. The pacing of this race starts before the race and actually during your training.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am currrently in training for my first full marathon. I am closely following a structured16 week training program.

I previously did a few half marathons without a structured training program. I just ran a lot, ran races and increased my running/race distances in the month oe 2 leading up to each half.

I think how long you will need to train is a very specific question that will have an individual answer based on your current level of fitness and current milage. If you have not been running regularly you will need more time. If you already run 25-30 miles a week you will need less.

How much are you currently running? What is your furthest long run distance?
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    The longer you have to train, the better, especially if you don't have a solid base of mileage yet. It's possible to go from no running to a 1/2 in about 6 months, but many people who do this end up with nagging chronic injuries.

How long have you been running up to now? What is your current weekly mileage and pace?
  • talithasut
    talithasut Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been running for a couple of years but it's just been on and off, I run on average 3-4 times a week for 3 miles at a time at about a 12.5 min pace. I have run up to 6 miles but not consistently. My boyfriend is wanting to do a full at the end of November so that gives us about 8 weeks to train. It doesn't seem like enough time to me but he is pretty insistent we can do it.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've done one of each. I used a 12 week training program for the half and 16 week program for the full.

I'm currently training for 2 more 1/2 marathons :)

Advice is don't overdo it. Listen to your body, stay hydrated (particularly during long runs) and do your long runs a bit slower than race pace.

Oh, and have fun! :happy:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been running for a couple of years but it's just been on and off, I run on average 3-4 times a week for 3 miles at a time at about a 12.5 min pace. I have run up to 6 miles but not consistently. My boyfriend is wanting to do a full at the end of November so that gives us about 8 weeks to train. It doesn't seem like enough time to me but he is pretty insistent we can do it.

Based on the amount of mileage you are currently running, 8 weeks is not enough time. Most programs are a minimum of 12 weeks for a full and they assume you have been running for a good 6 months. I don't suggest anyone attempt a marathon until they have been running 20 to 25 miles a week consistently for a year.
  • genas1975
    genas1975 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am actually doing a half marathon in the Bahamas in January. I am raising money on behalf of the Arthritis Soceity for this. We just started our training last night and I did 5 kms in 30 minutes. I am not a runner either but I have been going to the gym for years and just started hot yoga about 3 months ago. I hope I don't need 6 months as this is only 4 months away. Let me know how you make out and any tips you find out would be great to hear.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I don't know that a full marathon in under 10 weeks of SOLID training is advisable. I train for my half marathons at least 12 weeks. And, I run 3 or 4 days a week when I'm NOT training.

Slow and steady training is the best route. And, like a previous poster indicated, there are lots of great training plans out there. Look them over, see what they entail, and decide if you have enough time to get completely prepared for 26.2 miles. That's A LOT of running! Even after completing a half on 9/29 I don't think I'd be ready for a full by November.

Be careful. Error on the side of caution!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

Based on the amount of mileage you are currently running, 8 weeks is not enough time. Most programs are a minimum of 12 weeks for a full and they assume you have been running for a good 6 months. I don't suggest anyone attempt a marathon until they have been running 20 to 25 miles a week consistently for a year.

^^ This!
    Check out runners world.com and they have training plans. You should try a half before a full, and they usually give you 16 week training schedules.
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've done a half and I was a 3 month training program. My finish time was 2 hours and 48 mins. Training was 3 times a week with every other day being either a rest day or cross training. Example:

Sunday: Rest
    Monday: Cross train
    Tuesday: 3 mile run/walk or 30 minute run
    Wednesday: Cross train
    Thursday: 3 mile run/walk or 30 minute run
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Long run (anywhere from 4 -10 miles)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I've done a few half marathons (haven't done a full ......yet) and I don't think 8 weeks would give you enough to train adequately for a half let alone a full marathon (you'd be increasing your running from 12 miles a week to 50 or 60 in 8 weeks? an injury just waiting to happen)

I would suggest he do a little research himself, most likely he'd find that the shortest viable training plan he'd find is 12 weeks with most of them being 16 to 18.

If you're set on running a full marathon (a great idea BTW) think in terms of 2013 and (just an idea) go for a half between now and then.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here run a half or full marathon? If so how long do you train for it? Any advice etc...
    What do you want to achieve?
    Just finish nonstop, or Run it, or race it?
    What is your base mileage?
    How much time do you have till the race?
    How much time a week do you have, can you commit to training.
    What exercise other than running do you do?

To finish it you’ll need to run at least one and a half times the distance every week.
    To run it well, you’ll need at least twice the mileage every week.
    To race it you’ll need to run at least three times the distance.

Start off slowly and add miles to your run, I’m assuming you’re already running 4 times a week including a long slow run on the weekends.
    Build up to 5 miles each run for a half marathon, plus one hill session and one long run. Add time to your long run and speed to your shorter runs.

For your hills run for a mile or so as warm up, and then find a hill you can run up in say 45 second, run up jog down rinse and repeat. Warm down with another couple of miles.

For a half marathon there is no need to do more than 11 miles for your LSD, running is 80% mental strength, and only 20% physical strength. And you need to be able to do your 11 miles three weeks before the race day, as you need to reduce the mileage two weeks before the race day to help reduce risk of over training injury’s
    YMMV
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Im currently in training for a full on Oct 21. It will be my first Full...Ive never done a half either. Im using Hal higdons Novice 2 Training plan and Im currently at halfway Did a 14 mile last weekend. I think 8 weeks is no where near enough time for the mileage the OP is currently running! However my program is 20 weeks of which Im going to only get to Week 16 or 17 so Im starting my taper early... Ill get a 19 mile run in so Ill be a touch short..Ill make it

I dont think that its necessary to run a year before that. Even Higdon says if you can easily run 3 miles and your running 3-5 miles 3 times a week its good to start the 20 week novice program.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options

^^This. A Full in 8 weeks from where your mileage is now will be really painful with finishing in doubt (assuming you make to the starting line.) A half is probably doable if you assume some walking but I'm not sure it will be enjoyable. If your BF and you want to do a half, spend 3 months slowly building base mileage and then start a 12 week training program (so 6 months.) After you do a half, then really consider if you want to commit to building the base and training for a full.
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Look at Hal Higdon's website, he has a ton of great programs for you to work your way up. My goal is a half by this time next year.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor said the longest anyone should be forced to run is 13.1 miles (half marathon). After completing two while pregnant, and in vibrams, I have to agree! LOL.

I joined a local running group (Jeff Galloway) and got it done that way.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    i think you could run the half, but the full might be pushing it. i ran a half in august with pretty much zero training (don't advise this at all...life got in the way), but there was no way i could have run another 21 km that day.

before that my longest run had been 16km. the atmosphere of the race will definitely give you a boost. get your training in, but don't over think it.
  • superfly33
    Options
    Last April I completed my first half marathon. I did the More/Fitness Magazine half marathon in New York City. It was an all women half marathon so for me that was less intimidating. There were women doing this run from all walks of life, Pros to Newbees like me. I completed it in 2hrs and 41 mins. I started training in October but I didn't really kick in to gear until I actually signed up for it in January. I will be doing it again next year. It was such a fun run. Another run to try is RunLikeADiva.com. They have 5 halfs throughout the country, throughout the year. I am doing their Myrtle Beach next year as well. They hand out Tiarras and boa's during the race with roses and champaign waiting for you at finish line. This one is definately all about fun. I have started training and my goal is to maintain a 10 minute pace. I find it easier to do these half marathons when they are fun to do. It gets my mind of the fact that I am running 13 miles. I don't have a specific training program because I am new to this and trying to figure it out myself but every time I run, I set a goal of how many miles I do before stopping. I may slow down allot but I do not stop. I just try to keep a pace.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have done plenty of both. There are several excellent training programs out there. Find one that starts at a place that matches your current running conditioning. Two things that helped me the most. One; actually registering for a marathon then telling my friends about it. (this helped my training motivation) and Two; placing value in proper rest and recovery. Knowing when to push it and when to back off. The pacing of this race starts before the race and actually during your training.

I too, have run many of both and the advice above is excellent. You really might want to consider joining a training group (USA Fit, Team in Training etc..) The groups give you a solid training structure (if you are with a good one) and the social aspect really makes it fun.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I dont think that its necessary to run a year before that. Even Higdon says if you can easily run 3 miles and your running 3-5 miles 3 times a week its good to start the 20 week novice program.

This is my opinion and here is my logic.

It takes quite a while to build strength in the connective tissues that are stressed while running. I think that starting a marathon training program prior to developing this strength is a good way to get injured. Not necessarily during the training (this is possible), but more so during the race itself. The reason being, you will be running a LOT longer in the race than you ever did in training. A novice program is going to top out at 18 or 20 miles. 26.2 is over 25% further than you will have ever run. If you are running a 10:00 mile, that means you are going to be running for a full hour longer than you ever have. Without the proper strength, this can lead to injury.

Another reason I suggest this is, I want the person that is running the marathon to have a good experience so they will continue to run in the future. Taking on a training program for the marathon without having the psychological base to support it has the potential to lead to an overall dislike of running. The training becomes a burden and the marathon becomes a check mark on the bucket list and the runner never laces them up again. I think this is a disservice to runners. The marathon can be an enjoyable experience as can the training, if one is mentally prepared for it. It doesn't have to be a grind.

That's my take on it.