Heartburn while running?

Options
I've noticed that about 20min into my run I get heartburn, whats with that? Does anyone else experience it? What causes it? Next time, I'm going to take a couple antacids before starting but thought I would ask you guys first!

Replies

• beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    My daughter experiences this and was also diagnosed with newly onset exercise induced asthma last spring. Apparently there is a connection between asthma and heartburn. Since we've gotten her heartburn under control, her asthma symptoms have eased as well. Not saying that is your issue...just found it very interesting that the 2 are connected!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Could also be that you have a weakened lower esophageal sphincter, and by running there is added stress to the area and it doesn't have the strength to keep itself completely closed. Not serious at all, just means that you will just have to deal with it; although I would recommend the antacids like you mentioned!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I notice that sometimes I get heartburn when I run depending on what I eat before I run. I have certain foods that Ieat before I run now.