Self motivation is the hardest thing

Options
My name is Erienne and I joined this site over a year ago but never used it because I just wasn't ready to make the commitment. Now, I am the heaviest I have ever been and I decided this is the heaviest I ever will be.

I'm only 21 years old but already starting to exhibit health issues due to my weight. My friends are active and I can no longer keep up with them with most activities.

I'm female, which adds a lot of pressure to body image. I'm almost six feet tall and right now over 300 lbs. I've made promises to myself now to help stay motivated.

So if you're looking for someone who struggles with self motivation that understands what you're going through, or anything like that, I'm around. I feel great already only a week into a new healthier life.

Replies

• KristaJeanMFP
    KristaJeanMFP Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you need motivation...save your before pic on the background of your phone. That always gets my butt in the gym!!! Lol
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    That's a really good idea. I've been meaning to take before pictures anyway because I hate looking at pictures of myself :(
  • worldofme
    worldofme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you need motivation...save your before pic on the background of your phone. That always gets my butt in the gym!!! Lol

That is seriously funny!!! But a dang good idea and I had never thought of that....I am so doing it right now!! Thanks!!
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I keep my before/after pic on the fridge:drinker:
  • spikesmom
    spikesmom Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Your friends on MFP are great motivators. I know when I want to bail from the gym, I post it and ask for motivation, and they are champs! They have helped get my butt to the gym many a times!
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    As weird as it sounds one of the things that motivates me is sex. The more weight I lose, the smaller my stomach gets, and it gets easier with a smaller stomach. That's not the only thing, my boyfriend in a round about way does too. I want to be able to lose the weight so he can finally have his "hot" girlfriend, whether I'm hot or not will be another thing, but I'll definitely be smaller.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use discipline to keep me going. I hate exercise and love food which is a terrible combination!! I'm very organized so I focus on the discipline. I schedule my exercise like any other important appointment. I plan my meals for the week in advance so I can try to control the temptations. I'm not saying I stick to the food planning 100% because I will sometimes get tempted by the office birthday cake but it does help me to limit the indulgences a bit by being more prepared.
  • KristaJeanMFP
    KristaJeanMFP Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone who has a body issue doesn't want to see themselves. But you can't run from it....Force yourself to see how you really look. Yeah, it might suck lol but that's what's going to give you that push to be better! It's easy after you see results. Losing weight isn't just about dieting. It's a lifestyle. It will be difficult but once you're done you're gonna feel like a trillon dollars! Try to stay positive and think of the end result. You're gonna be one hot momma!! Don't give up or you'll never achieve your goal :)
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I struggled with self motivation for 15 years. I've needed to loose weight forever- but never stuck with anything and never ate well for more than a few days. I gave up so easily. It gets easier. Once you make the change, for real, you will find there is no turning back and those self doubts soon dissapear and are replaced with courage and pride.

I have decided to get this weight off for a variety of reasons but mostly because I want to be the healthy person lurking inside of me. I see pictures of outdoor people- kayaking, camping, hiking, etc. and I think, I WISH I was doing those things. I enjoy them- but I don't have enough stamina to endure it. I am tired of not being the person I am meant to be, and this time the change is for real! I used to use my arthritis as an excuse to not be active- but I find I can do anything I want. Maybe not as long as others, maybe not as often. But I somehow got this vision in my head- of myself- and I sort of saw myself as poor me, and condemned myself to the fact that one day I will be disabled, so why even try. Now, I want to do as much as I can, while I still can- which I think will be a very, very long time.

Good luck and I hope you find some friends on here. Feel free to request me. Angie
  • SabrinaAbney
    Options
    Self motivation is hard but to help myself I look in the mirror. NAKED!!!!!!! Iam tired of what I see. my husband is wonderful and never says anything but I want to look better for him as well as myself.
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    I use discipline to keep me going. I hate exercise and love food which is a terrible combination!! I'm very organized so I focus on the discipline. I schedule my exercise like any other important appointment. I plan my meals for the week in advance so I can try to control the temptations. I'm not saying I stick to the food planning 100% because I will sometimes get tempted by the office birthday cake but it does help me to limit the indulgences a bit by being more prepared.

I like the organization aspect, too. I suck at planning meals in advance tho. And as far as cake goes- Can't even have it in the house. My gran's 90th bday is coming up and I plan to eat some of that cake- but I will be cutting out one snack per day the days leading up to it so that I can enjoy a bite of that cake. As far as controlling temptation, I stopped keeping it in the house, and I don't go shopping alone so I can't come home with it. I would love to hear more about how you plan your meals out in advance.
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    Self motivation is hard but to help myself I look in the mirror. NAKED!!!!!!! Iam tired of what I see. my husband is wonderful and never says anything but I want to look better for him as well as myself.

I think that your husband probably thinks you are just beautiful! I too, feel shame when I look in the mirror, but it doesn't help me stay motivated but has the opposite effect, it makes me feel so bad that I want to quit. So I avoid mirrors.

Another thing that seems to keep me motivated is I find I wear my workout clothes more days than not. If I look like I could be headed out the door for a walk at any moment, I find myself doing it. So it is the first thing I put on.